Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2014 10:09:37 AM EDT
I have an older blued Ruger model 77/22 LR. I bought it new in the early 90's. I am looking to purchase an accurate barrel with a 1/2 x 28 thread on the muzzle so I can attach my AAC Element II. Do you guys have any recommendations for a barrel? What barrel length and twist should I consider. How hard is it to change the barrel?

Also I would like to buy a replacement stock that has a small section of rail on the front bottom so I can use my quick detach Atlas bi-pod. Does anyone make a stock like this for the 77/22?

My model 77/22 looks like this gun, which I found in a google search. Mine has a 4X Nikon scope which I plan to keep on the gun.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#1]
IN!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Is your factory barrel not accurate?  Most of them were very accurate.  Gemtech can thread it.  

The barrel should be attached to the action with two hex screws and a tension block, just like a 10-22.  Heck, a 10-22 barrel will probably fit--it looks like a spacer kit is required for it.  You would need to find a profile you like and then a stock.  A rail could easily be attached unless you have zero skills. A bipod can attach to a sling swivel too.  

It is beginning to look like you should have bought a CZ.  Send me the 77/22 for immediate disposal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Have the stock barrel cut/crowned/threaded by ADCO. If not check out Clark custom guns . com for a replacement barrel. If the barrel is threaded into the receiver you will need a gunsmith if bolted via Vblock you can do that yourself.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe tactical solutions is going to be releasing a threaded barrel soon.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have the stock barrel cut/crowned/threaded by ADCO. If not check out Clark custom guns . com for a replacement barrel. If the barrel is threaded into the receiver you will need a gunsmith if bolted via Vblock you can do that yourself.
View Quote

Should I leave the barrel the factory length, or have ADCO cut it when they thread it. I wouldn't mind cutting it down to 16". I think the barrel is 20" now. Do I need more than 16" for a 22LR?

BTW...the barrel is pretty thin, so I am wondering if there will be enough shoulder for the suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:12:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe Green Mountain makes (or use to make) replacement barrels for 77/22s. I think there was a threaded sporter option. The older models used the dovetail 10/22 type barrel attachment and they later changed to a thread attach barrel, just make sure you get the right style. If yours is from the 90s it should be the dovetailed version.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I had adco cut and thread one of mine.  Its one of the 80's boat paddle SS ones.  Barrels come out super easy like a 10/22.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had adco cut and thread one of mine.  Its one of the 80's boat paddle SS ones.  Barrels come out super easy like a 10/22.
View Quote

How short did you go on the barrel?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

16. Mine never had irons(or cuts for them) either.  Awesome gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Should I leave the barrel the factory length, or have ADCO cut it when they thread it. I wouldn't mind cutting it down to 16". I think the barrel is 20" now. Do I need more than 16" for a 22LR?

BTW...the barrel is pretty thin, so I am wondering if there will be enough shoulder for the suppressor.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMO and it's just that, My Opinion.
Keep that bbl, cut to 18" thread & recrown. You want to go 16" by all means do so, BUT KEEP THAT BBL.You will have more than enough for a shoulder once threaded, especially if you go 16".
I have one from mid 80's, we removed the front sight then threaded bbl back 1/2 way in to the front sight block. This gave a nice shoulder for a suppressor. Did some trigger work, kept the redfield scope it came with . Nice shooter.  Regarding the trigger work the stock or buy a Kidd or other mfg's unit. YMMV

Regarding  an atlas bipod. There are a few mfg who make an adapter for wood stocks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:01:54 AM EDT
[#11]
I can thread it for you. I've done over 100 barrel threading jobs, 9 of which I know of that have been used as suppressor hosts with great results. I can cut it any length you want (over 16") and do an 11* target crown as well. I charge half of what Gemtech or Adco do and my turnaround is about 1/4 what Gemtech claims on their website. PM me for details.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:41:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I had mine done by Que.  Sent him my barrel and he set back my front sight, threaded and shipped back.  I think it was around a week or so turnaround.  

I don't have any close ups of the threading job.  

Before.

After

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#13]
thread on and integral

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have an older blued Ruger model 77/22 LR. I bought it new in the early 90's. I am looking to purchase an accurate barrel with a 1/2 x 28 thread on the muzzle so I can attach my AAC Element II. Do you guys have any recommendations for a barrel? What barrel length and twist should I consider. How hard is it to change the barrel?

Also I would like to buy a replacement stock that has a small section of rail on the front bottom so I can use my quick detach Atlas bi-pod. Does anyone make a stock like this for the 77/22?

My model 77/22 looks like this gun, which I found in a google search. Mine has a 4X Nikon scope which I plan to keep on the gun.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/13268/13827825_1.jpg?v=8CF5EFB34332AA0
View Quote

PM sent
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top