Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 10:16:29 PM EDT
Just picked up my first Ruger 10/22 and it is the TakeDown model. My question is what are the first things to change or modify on this fast becoming favorite range toy. I have BX-25 mags and a red dot already mounted. I
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
- Bolt release mod.  Don't buy one, just Dremel the one you have.

- Lightly deburr the bolt and guide rod.

- Plastic buffer rod.

Those three are the best bang for your buck mods.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

- Plastic buffer rod.

View Quote

Thank You Deburred the bolt, guide rod and did a very little 1000 grit wet sand on the inner receiver. Was getting stove pipes on all my mags (stock and BX25 mags) Going to see if that helps this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:34:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Rimfirecentral action section has faq for stoning the hammer. Or buy a replacement to clean up the pull if you are less handy.

I love my butler creek loader.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank You Deburred the bolt, guide rod and did a very little 1000 grit wet sand on the inner receiver. Was getting stove pipes on all my mags (stock and BX25 mags) Going to see if that helps this weekend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- Plastic buffer rod.

Make sure the front stud on the magazines are seating fully into the receiver hole. Mine were not. I had to modify the receiver a bit to get them to seat right. I only had issues with the BX 25 mags. I did a thread on it a month or two ago.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rimfirecentral action section has faq for stoning the hammer. Or buy a replacement to clean up the pull if you are less handy.

I love my butler creek loader.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

You'll see my name in that thread.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:29:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Went to the range today to test out what I did to the 10/22 TakeDown and it ran everything. Tried all kinds of ammo from the cheap to the pricey in 6 BX25 mags without any issues Now I might have to enter her into the next plate shoot Now to do the bolt release mod.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Don't remove any metal just polish the the contact points on top, the back and the bottom rear of the bolt, the front of the hammer and the sides where the hammer bushing things go. Makes for a much smoother operating rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top