Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2014 5:45:26 PM EDT
I recently bought a Ruger American Rimfire for the purpose of putting together an inexpensive squirrel and rabbit gun (no semi-auto hunting state) that was accurate, has a nice trigger, has an adult sized stock, a lot of features, and readily accepts parts most of us have laying around.   This rifle came with an adult sized stock with a raised cheek rest stock insert, threaded barrel, accepts 10/22 mags, and has a well positioned sling stud for bipod mounting.  The action and trigger are smooth and crisp, it is easy to take down, and the receiver screws are hex head and not flat head.  Ruger even gives you torque specs in the manual for the receiver screws.  The barrel is free float and threaded

I already had everything laying around other than the rings and Weaver #12 rail bases.  I shot it a bunch last weekend and it grouped well (sorry no pics) with the iron sights and the low rise stock insert.  I look forward to trying it out with the cheap Simmons optic I had laying around.  I *think* it is a Simmons Protarget, but not too sure;  I used it years ago on my 10/22.  For field guns I like to have a muzzle device (it comes with a thread protector) for the sole purpose of protecting the crown so I stuck on a Vortex flash hider on it I also  had laying around.  Bipod is a battlestar generica brand Chinese Harris knockoff.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm waiting to pick up one in 22wmr, with threaded bbl. The only rifle not threaded for a suppressor is my 39A Golden with HB

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_11/426003_Ruger_American_Rimfire_opinions.html
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm waiting to pick up one in 22wmr, with threaded bbl. The only rifle not threaded for a suppressor is my 39A Golden with HB

View Quote

Wait no longer :)
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice rifle op. Price?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#4]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I bought one from Cheaper than Dirt this week for $250, the compact, but they have the standard as well. It's replacing my Henry.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yep, I bought one from Cheaper than Dirt this week for $250, the compact, but they have the standard as well. It's replacing my Henry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid around $300 out the door (including tax and transfer fee).  I was pleasantly surprised that Ruger offered a threaded barrel in a full length stock configuration and not only on the compact model.    What is even cooler is that if you decide you want the full length stock, you can order one for $19.95 from the Ruger website and turn your compact into what I have.    I am 6'4" and prefer a longer stock, but if I was going to have kids shoot it (or short people), I could buy the compact stock inserts  

What I do not understand why Ruger is still making the 77/22. Doubt it is going to be twice the rifle even though it costs at least twice as much.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 12:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]

What I do not understand why Ruger is still making the 77/22. Doubt it is going to be twice the rifle even though it costs at least twice as much.
View Quote

The 77/22 is way more of a rifle than the American. Wood, usually pretty decent wood at that, or a laminate stock that you can't get on the American, a good trigger than can be made great with a little bit of effort, a very accurate barrel, a full size build, and a lot better fit, finish, and attention to detail make it cost a lot more. For practical purposes, your American will kill squirrels just as dead, but the 77/22 has a bit more style and a lot more craftsmanship built into it. They're products of two totally different concepts. One is a cheap mass produced disposable rifle that is built to be effective and economical. The other is built to last for generations and look good doing so. Both have a legit place in the market.

There are a couple of guys shooting 77/22s at my club in our silhouette matches. They are very nice rifles, and one of them is always near the top of the standings. A couple guys have recently brought out Ruger Americans. Meh, they do their job, but they don't have any soul next to their big brothers. Nor do they shoot as well. There's no comparison between the two when you see them side by side. Think Remington 700 BDL next to a Remington 710.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The 77/22 is way more of a rifle than the American. Wood, usually pretty decent wood at that, or a laminate stock that you can't get on the American, a good trigger than can be made great with a little bit of effort, a very accurate barrel, a full size build, and a lot better fit, finish, and attention to detail make it cost a lot more. For practical purposes, your American will kill squirrels just as dead, but the 77/22 has a bit more style and a lot more craftsmanship built into it. They're products of two totally different concepts. One is a cheap mass produced disposable rifle that is built to be effective and economical. The other is built to last for generations and look good doing so. Both have a legit place in the market.

There are a couple of guys shooting 77/22s at my club in our silhouette matches. They are very nice rifles, and one of them is always near the top of the standings. A couple guys have recently brought out Ruger Americans. Meh, they do their job, but they don't have any soul next to their big brothers. Nor do they shoot as well. There's no comparison between the two when you see them side by side. Think Remington 700 BDL next to a Remington 710.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Frankly, that sounds...well, like you're talkin out of your ass. I don't doubt that they are nicer, but I notice that you haven't mentioned the scoring difference between the two. And someone that has a brand new rifle is nore likely to be a new shooter as well. jmho
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:20:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a early Ruger 77/22 and one of the new Ruger Americans with the factory threaded barrel. The 77/22 is blued with a walnut stock that I installed a Volquartsen sear in, looks  and shoots great and is one of my favorite 22s.  The American does not look as nice but will shoot as good of groups as the 77 with most ammo and sometimes better.

Quoted:

Frankly, that sounds...well, like you're talkin out of your ass. I don't doubt that they are nicer, but I notice that you haven't mentioned the scoring difference between the two. And someone that has a brand new rifle is nore likely to be a new shooter as well. jmho
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scoring differences are really more on the shooter than the gun in the silhouette game. Just about any bolt action .22 is capable of hitting the targets at the various ranges. I'd be more interested in seeing a sheet or three of ARA bench rest targets shot with both rifles by the same shooter using a solid rest.

One of the 77/22s in our club is shot by a AAA shooter who is consistently near the top of everyone. The other 77/22 is a AA that stays firmly in AA land. One of the American rifles is a new toy for an older guy who wanted a rifle to fit in the hunter class and get away from his standard rifle and save some weight. He's definitely not a new shooter, but I take his word that his new rifle leaves him wanting a bit more from it, but he tempers his own complaints considering what he paid for his rifle. Where the price difference comes in on the 77/22 is the nice factor. That's what I was getting at. Not trying to run down the American or anyone who owns one. I'm certainly glad to see some stuff coming out that's inexpensive and effective enough to bring new people into the sport without breaking them. Like I said, comparing the two side by side leaves one looking like a basic entry level rifle, and one looking like a well built and aesthetically pleasing rifle for someone wanting that, which is exactly what both are. Performance being similar, the parts and fit/finish is where the cost difference is. If I wanted a gun I didn't mind beating up and not pay much for it, the American would be near the top of my list. If I wanted one to last and to be taken care of, and to look and feel nice, the American would never enter the conversation. Even then, there are other options I'd take over the 77/22, but it's a fine looking and shooting gun. I wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers after you bought your American.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 11:52:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Scoring differences are really more on the shooter than the gun in the silhouette game. Just about any bolt action .22 is capable of hitting the targets at the various ranges. I'd be more interested in seeing a sheet or three of ARA bench rest targets shot with both rifles by the same shooter using a solid rest.

One of the 77/22s in our club is shot by a AAA shooter who is consistently near the top of everyone. The other 77/22 is a AA that stays firmly in AA land. One of the American rifles is a new toy for an older guy who wanted a rifle to fit in the hunter class and get away from his standard rifle and save some weight. He's definitely not a new shooter, but I take his word that his new rifle leaves him wanting a bit more from it, but he tempers his own complaints considering what he paid for his rifle. Where the price difference comes in on the 77/22 is the nice factor. That's what I was getting at. Not trying to run down the American or anyone who owns one. I'm certainly glad to see some stuff coming out that's inexpensive and effective enough to bring new people into the sport without breaking them. Like I said, comparing the two side by side leaves one looking like a basic entry level rifle, and one looking like a well built and aesthetically pleasing rifle for someone wanting that, which is exactly what both are. Performance being similar, the parts and fit/finish is where the cost difference is. If I wanted a gun I didn't mind beating up and not pay much for it, the American would be near the top of my list. If I wanted one to last and to be taken care of, and to look and feel nice, the American would never enter the conversation. Even then, there are other options I'd take over the 77/22, but it's a fine looking and shooting gun. I wasn't trying to ruffle anyone's feathers after you bought your American.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt, and no jimmies ruffled here.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#11]

The 77/22 is way more of a rifle than the American. Wood, usually pretty decent wood at that, or a laminate stock that you can't get on the American, a good trigger than can be made great with a little bit of effort, a very accurate barrel, a full size build, and a lot better fit, finish, and attention to detail make it cost a lot more.

This i agree with. My 77/22 also converted to 22mag (both threaded bbls) is too nice a piece of furniture to be out an about with. Considering what they go for (used early production model) vs what i paid for it, $250, with factory rings and redfield 4x scope.
I use any number of lower priced, but competent rifles when it's range time. The RAR threaded would fill a void, or so i say when spending money on any firearm.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The possibilities are endless with the 77/22 if you know what you are doing!
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#13]
It will probably be my next .22 rifle if I don't get a 10/22 first.  I like that it uses the same magazines and has a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:50:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm guessing the 77/22 magnum and the RAR 22 magnum don't take the same magazines?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:32:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm guessing the 77/22 magnum and the RAR 22 magnum don't take the same magazines?
View Quote

I am pretty sure they do.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 9:51:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmm, that's what I get for looking at a sample photo on Sportsmen's Guide.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#17]
My LGS called today. The RAR in .22lr I had them order Saturday showed up today.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My LGS called today. The RAR in .22lr I had them order Saturday showed up today.

<a href="http://s1060.photobucket.com/user/polarys425/media/DSC_2225_zpsf08abded.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t459/polarys425/DSC_2225_zpsf08abded.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice.  I think my first can is going to be one of these because I do not shoot .22lr enough to buy a .22lr dedicated one (at least for my first) and they are user serviceable so I can clean it easily after shitting it up with .22lr then stick back on an AR.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 1:31:46 AM EDT
[#19]
does anyone know if they are planning on making the .22lr models in stainless???
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
does anyone know if they are planning on making the .22lr models in stainless???
View Quote

it's a logical progression, but who knows for sure. I asked if they were going to make a threaded barrel not even a week prior to their announcement and they told me no.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The RAR takes 10/22 mags.  The 77/22 takes 77/22 mags.  They are a little different......you can put 10/22 mags in them, but they dont fit perfect.  They seem to feed fine.

Not sure if 77/22 magnum has the same issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top