Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2014 9:35:15 PM EDT
Was just looking around online and I don't see any pictures of rifles using a receiver mounted peep sight, a globe front sight, and a suppressor.

The peeps would be good and tall to clear a suppressor.

Ive seen regular open sights or Tech sights, but no peeps.

Has anybody done this?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:23:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm putting together a 10/22 bull barrel with a Lyman 17A front.  The lowest 17A (I think 0.404" above dovetail) will clear a suppressor using the Tech Sight dovetail attachment.  Of course I am going to have to machine a dovetail into the actual barrel so I could mount a suppressor.  (Tech adapter is now mounted on my thread protector)

I'm planning on gettting a silcencer co Spectre, and the diameter is 1", so any sight that will clear a 0.920 bull barrel should pretty much clear a suppressor (not sure what other .22 models would be bigger than 1", I'm sure some are...)

I am setting my sights up as low to reciever as possible (no cheek riser).  If you use the standard sight options (ie. the Tech-Sights front or the Nodak Spud) they are all WAAAAAY higher than the barrel and should clear even a big suppressor.  I don't have my measurements handy, but as I recall I was 0.5" higher than I wanted to be when trialing the Tech-Sights front with it set as low as it would go (and the Nodak is higher than the Tech).  Based on that, you should be able to clear almost a 2" suppressor if using the Tech-Sight front.

ETA this is based on measurements.  My Lyman 17A is in the mail.  My Lyman rear target peeps are on the gun and I"m pretty confident my measurements will hold true..... Haven't actually mounted them up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen a bunch of Brit target rifles (mostly BSAs) with globe FSs that have been threaded. They are usually attached to a base instead of dovetailed to the barrel..

I would think a globe/base set-up would work much better than a dovetail set-up. Plus it can be removed easily for scope use if need be with the turn of a screw.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get bases like these (Williams base, from Midway) that you can screw on.  These dovetails would use the Williams type globe (slide on from front rather than side)

I haven't found any globes that don't have dovetails.  (Williams and the Lyman 90(?) go front to back, Lyman 17 go from side)

I've never seen one for a .920" barrel.  I thought about using those and sanding it down (wrap sandpaper around barrel and then "lap" the base to the barrel...) but would raise the sight too high.

If you have a cheek riser and/or don't mind having your sights tall, the Nodak Spud NDS-23 (near bottom) is removeable with 2 set screws and would be high enough to use a muffler from your Honda Civic as a suppressor  Of course it won't give you that "target" globe sight (which is what I want)

If you want a low cheek weld with a standard stock you have to cut into the barrel (or use the Tech Sight dovetail adapter.  I was nervous about holding it on with "threadlocker", but it seems pretty darn secure).
Even the lowest Globe (ie. the Lyman 17A that is 0.404") would require pretty high rear sights particularly once you add a mounting base (if you didn't cut a dovetail into the barrel and mounted on the surface).

I'm going to post on rimfirecentral details of mine once I get it all worked out.  It should be MUCH easier to do (ie why the hell don't the barrel makers give the option of a dovetail on the target barrels??????)

I will have a Lyman 90 MJT rear set about as low as feasible, with an 17AHB front.  It should clear a suppressor fine (as I mentioned above, at least my planned suppressor is barely wider than the bull barrel)
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 4:18:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh, I was assuming you meant with a bull barrel.
If you have a standard barrel, I believe you already have a dovetail and can then just get whichever globe matches your rear (rear sight height will depend on cheek riser and if you want to cut into the stock to mount it real low).  The Williams rear peep requires drilling and tapping (the web site sounded like it didn't, but was ambiguious rather than wrong) and that one can mount up without cuting the stock and still be pretty low (but should be plenty to clear a 1" suppressor) FP-RU or FP-RU-TK click on the "FP series".

"Que" (can't find link, but look on Rimfirecentral.com) will thread your standard barrel and then relocate the sight dovetail further back for suppressor use.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Jeez it's not rocket surgery. Just get a set of  Anschutz 54 or 64 sights and the proper height front base for your barrel profile and have at it. If you can't clear a can with those on you must be using a oil filter for can.

My Annie rear sight clamps right onto the receiver dovetail on many .22s.

Of course it would help if we knew a bit more about what .22 the OP wants to sight.

Annie sights:

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Not a globe front - but here is my 10/22 TDT with Williams Ace in the Hole sights & a Silencerco Sparrow...

Plenty of room.

L8r,
Bob S.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jeez it's not rocket surgery. Just get a set of  Anschutz 54 or 64 sights and the proper height front base for your barrel profile and have at it. If you can't clear a can with those on you must be using a oil filter for can.

My Annie rear sight clamps right onto the receiver dovetail on many .22s.

Of course it would help if we knew a bit more about what .22 the OP wants to sight.

Annie sights:

http://oi61.tinypic.com/24bjjw0.jpg

View Quote

Yes, this is the type of sights / rifle set up I was thinking. I have never seen those type of sights on a rifle that's threaded for a suppressor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top