Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2014 3:09:12 PM EDT
After seeing some of the conversions making the Ruger 10/22 into a faux looking M1 carbine I thought I would give it a go with a 16" threaded barrel 10/22 I already owned; you might see this posted on other forums as well.
I made mistake after mistake but got a great learning experience with wood working and finishing. I bought the M1 carbine stock kit from EA Brown online, the my receiver dropped right in but right away I wasn't satisfied with the poor stock finish and with the stock/hand guard misalignment. I decided to fix that and modify the stock and hand guard as well.
I Starting by buying another top hand guard without the rear sight cutout and after sanding, correcting mistakes, refinishing with a Merlot dye stain and low gloss Tung oil, here’s what the end results look like;

I cut a slot channel into the stock and fitted a used Chiappa barrel band assembly that I had removed the plastic barrel bayonet lug from to mimic a type 2 barrel band, I had to re-contour the upper hand guard so the barrel band would fit it.
I cut a Ruger weaver rail into two pieces with 25 degree angles to mimic somewhat the top of an M1 carbine receiver and mounted Tech sights to the rail. I milled three c’bore’s in the hand guard to mimic the (4) USGI hole pattern  balancing out where the top hand guard is mounted to the rifle stock by a machine screw.

I used a faux magazine extension that EAB sells as well as their sling and oiler.
I found a piece of wood I cut and painted to mimic the slide and this I glued to the included kit spacer.
I’ll never get my money or time back on this project but it was fun and I did learn a few things...that my calling isn't to be a woodworker or finisher!
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty slick..i think ya did a good job on it.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:30:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great man, hope you enjoy it.

If you haven't yet, check out rimfirecentral.com. Lots of great info on customizing 10/22s and other .22 rifles.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, that looks great.  Definitely one of the best "carbine" conversions I've seen.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Bad ass man!
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
looks nice, mine isn't as shiny and red, but that is pretty I don't have the Tupperware triggerguard and I threaded the barrel, but looks similar
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#6]
very nice work.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Love it!
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Great job. That looks way cool.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 5:31:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks awesome, you did a great job!
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Very nice!

I did one myself but not nearly to that level. You gave me some ideas to continue on.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]
That's awesome!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top