Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2014 2:18:32 PM EDT
I just bought a 10/22 Carbine this past Sunday and cleaned it today. I am planning to take it to the range tomorrow. I had to clean it from the muzzle in to get my Tipton rod into the barrel. It literally took me about 60 patches to get all the brown factory stuff out of it. I have already looked and seen where people drill the back of the receiver, but I am not going to do this. Should I remove the barrel every time I clean it. Also, I clean my  guns after every range trip and will not put a dirty gun into the safe. How do you all do it? Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
bore snake
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
bore snake
View Quote

I have heard these are more suited for field cleaning rather than after shooting. Although I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Otis kit....

EDIT...also buy a good FBC and let that soak for a while..then rinse the barrel with NCBC.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Depending on how much I shoot my 10/22.  Its a good idea to keep a log.  Usually with a .22 I don't like to overclean because every time you clean out the barrel it takes 10 or 20 shots to get the coating from the bullets built up enough to get it really accurate again.  That's why, when testing different brands for accuracy, you really need to shoot a bunch of a particular brand first before doing accuracy tests.  Right now my 10/22 will keep 5 shots about quarter sized at 50yds.    

as far as cleaning, I wouldn't remove the barrel every time.  Clean from the muzzle like your doing.   M-Pro7 helps a lot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 1:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I clean the barrel just before accuracy degrades and/or function degrades, I keep a rough round count for most guns. My precision rifle I have an exact count, when I get to around 475 rounds I will clean it because I have found accuracy start to go away at this point from copper fouling.  Sending a cleaning rod past the crown and throat 40 or 50 times every time you shoot it does way more harm than just wiping the outside down and putting it in the safe. With 22lrs being dirtier I probably clean actions 10 times for every 1 time I send a rod down the barrel.( I shoot modern ammo)

This will change if the weather conditions cause need for cleaning sooner, say a lot of wind blown sand or rain.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 2:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a piece of string line trimmer monofilament with a ball end on it.

Put a patch on it, a little CLP, run the line through the barrel from the chamber and pull through to the muzzle.

Do that 3 or 4 times and I'm done.  No brushing, no rods, no hassles.

Worked good enough for 20+ years.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#7]
It's simple enough to clean the 10/22 or any other rifle from the muzzle without harm.

Just use a one-piece stainless steel or carbon fiber cleaning rod and a bore guide.
Bore guides can be nothing more than a brass cone-shaped guide that slides over the rod or it can be a special guide that's made to fit a particular barrel.

A guide of whatever type will keep the rod centered in the muzzle and will prevent any damage.
A major help is to PULL the rod, not push it.
Put the rod down the bore and screw on a brush or patch holder.
Pull the brush or patch into the chamber and use a pipette bulb to apply a shot of solvent.
Use the muzzle guide to keep the rod centered and pull it out.
Repeat as needed.

This will do a better job than a bore snake, and unlike a bore snake or some home made pull-through, there's no chance of it breaking off inside the bore.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Otis kit....

EDIT...also buy a good FBC and let that soak for a while..then rinse the barrel with NCBC.
View Quote

The Otis kit is what I recommend.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 4:56:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

BigDozer66
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Otis kit....

BigDozer66

What does FBC and NCBC stand for?

Foaming Bore Cleaner?

Non C? Bore Cleaner?
Link Posted: 2/26/2014 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I would not recommend taking the barrel out.  Besides if you have a scope, you'll change zero probably every time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I need to try one of those bore snakes. It looks GI proof.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 1:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Bore snake or Otis kit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just bought a 10/22 Carbine this past Sunday and cleaned it today. I am planning to take it to the range tomorrow. I had to clean it from the muzzle in to get my Tipton rod into the barrel. It literally took me about 60 patches to get all the brown factory stuff out of it. I have already looked and seen where people drill the back of the receiver, but I am not going to do this. Should I remove the barrel every time I clean it. Also, I clean my  guns after every range trip and will not put a dirty gun into the safe. How do you all do it? Thanks.
View Quote

I thought the same thing that I would not drill out the rear of the receiver for a cleaning rod but a couple weeks ago I got on the rotation to use the 10/22 receiver drilling jig from Rimfire Central and now I am glad I finally got to drill the cleaning rod hole in my receiver.  It will make cleaning my barrel easier and safer.  I also got a Dewey stainless steel cleaning rod and a muzzle guide so that I would not damage the chamber.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:00:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Patchworm Cleaning Kit

Patchworm Cleaning Kits

Like suggested above, it's like line trimmer material. No metal to worry about damaging your bore.  

Slide the .22 "wad" on the line, poke a hole in the middle of the patch, slide the patch down over the "wad".

Feed the line into the chamber and out through the muzzle and pull the patch through.

5x and you're done.

I'm also a fan of Ballistol. A lot less toxic than other cleaners.

YMMV
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:53:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Otis
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Get a boresnake and don't worry about it being dirty 22's like being dirty.

Also, don't take the barrel off to clean! The receiver is made of aluminum and very soft so you can easily wear out and strip the holes in the receiver by removing them or over tightening them.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get a boresnake and don't worry about it being dirty 22's like being dirty.
View Quote

This is very good advise.   The bore snake is all I have ever used.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:05:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Over cleaning or should I say over-zealous cleaning fucks-up more guns than a lifetime of actual shooting.

Do NOT remove a 10/22 barrel just so you can clean it from the breech

Keep it simple. A bore-snake, an OTIS cable kit, or a good one piece rod with a muzzle protector will all work just fine. You can also drill the rear of the receiver if you like. This was all good advice.

On my best, most precise 10/22, I thoroughly clean about every 400 rounds or about every third or fourth trip to the range. For me this keeps my action running smoothly and my groups consistent. Otherwise, it gets a simple wipe down and a drop of oil before going back into the safe.

On my plinker 10/22, I clean when it starts to run sluggish (maybe every 1000-1500 rounds). I will add a drop of oil every now and then if I think it needs it.

As always- YMMV

Link Posted: 5/6/2014 1:15:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What does FBC and NCBC stand for?
Foaming Bore Cleaner?
Non C? Bore Cleaner?
View Quote

Foaming Bore Cleaner
Non Clorinated Brake Cleaner - found at most auto parts stores caustion as it night ruin finish on wood stocks and possibly some plastics...

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I drilled the receiver of mine and use a plastic coated Parker Hale or Dewey rod on mine. I want to take it apart to clean the bolt anyway, so it isn't any extra effort.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top