Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 3:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
This is why you buy cases of it when it's cheap. Every time Dunn's has 745 cases in stock with free shipping I've ordered two. I think I'm up to 60k of Federal 745 now
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
What's the cost of shipping 500 rounds of .22 ??  I think it's only UPS too.....anyone know what the shipping in Lower 48 is?
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Fedex ships ammo.

Depends on the company.  Could run between 4-10 dollars.  I know 1200 rounds of 223 weighing 33lbs costs about 27 dollar via UPS, but that rate depends on the volume of the sender and their agreement with the shipper.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Went shopping today gun shop wanted $70 for 500 rounds remington JHP 22lr! I told the owner thats crazy and i didnt need it that bad, a guy came in right behind me and bought it(the last box). there was some CCI for $20/100rounds.The main reason i purchased a 22 rifle and pistol was because of ammo price and availability. Walmart was completely out of 22lr, but they had 9mm which i bought five of for $14/50 rounds. Is walmart not price gouging? while independent shops are price gouging? This is gay, this whole ordeal is ruining my favorite hobby

Someone help me understand why 22lr has tripled in price

To answer this question.

Well, you know the answer.  Supply and demand and all that jazz.  Plus the cost of raw materials has gone up quite a bit in the last 15 years.

I also attribute the many 22lr options that have come out the last 5 years.  AR, MP5, AK, lots of 22 clones out there, plus the 10/22/CZ452 enthusiasts.  

Note:  When the buying frenzy is over and the prices level, buy buy buy.  I have close to 20k in various calibers and always want more.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:37:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is why you buy cases of it when it's cheap. Every time Dunn's has 745 cases in stock with free shipping I've ordered two. I think I'm up to 60k of Federal 745 now

Yeah, this.  As I stated, I stocked up on 22lr every time one of the big internet retailers like Dunns and Cabelas offered the killer case size deals.  Everyone told me I was crazy (and I was starting to believe them for a while) for stocking up on so much .22lr, but those same people are beggin me for it now .
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:42:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

please tell me you didnt pay what their price is on it now...

https://www.shopdunns.com/products/Ammunition/37/1/
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Everybody needs to stop buying .22lr ammo at $3-5 per 50 rds.  It's ridiculous.  "Premium" .22 ammo is twice that.  It's rimfire ammo.  Stop it, all of you!

It should be about $1 for 50 rds.  A brick for $10.

When is the last time you bought a brick of 22 for 10 bucks?

Walmart had 500 round bricks of the Remington Thunderbolt for $13 in 2001. I bought a brick a week on Fridays along with formula and diapers like clockwork. The exwife thought I was stupid buying all that ammo. I stopped after a few months and went several years without buying 22lr again. Its not like fuel and base metal prices and wages and health insurance for employees has gone down since 2001, so naturally the cost of things goes up.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Holy smokes....i just made a 2 1/4 hr tour of 2 Wal Marts.......

came home with:

6 boxes of Federal .22 Auto-Match 325 rnds. .....................
4 boxes of Federal .223 FMJ value packs of 100 rounds.....

workers at the store said they sell them immiediately

going in the gun safe ......
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

18.99 a brick of 525 shipped? Hell I'm tempted at that price but they're out of stock unfortunately.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 12:56:37 AM EDT
[#10]
http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/ammo.htm#Aguila22

~$25 a brick.  Which was a bit steep a month ago, though not so bad for a semi-premium ammo.  Today, a complete steal.  Took about 3 weeks to fill my order.  

Get some to hold you over - it's not too dissimilar to the toilet paper panic, where someone made a rumor that the store was running out of toilet paper.  So everyone went out and bought all the toilet paper.  And the store went out of toilet paper.  When they were able to stock back up, everyone had tons of toilet paper, so they couldn't sell any.  So toilet paper prices plunged back down.  Same thing will happen with ammo.  Though I think the baseline of ammo consumption is just plain higher now than it used to be, and manufactures haven't figured that out yet.  Didn't figure it out last year either..  or the year before that... or the year before that... or the one before that...

Screw it, better order 5 cases of .22 ammo after all!

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think I paid $170/case for my last two
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Everybody needs to stop buying .22lr ammo at $3-5 per 50 rds.  It's ridiculous.  "Premium" .22 ammo is twice that.  It's rimfire ammo.  Stop it, all of you!

It should be priced where it is or higher.  It's not on the shelves, so I would expect that the price point set by the supply/dmand curve is pretty close to where it should be.

Unless you like government math, and look at what that's doing to us.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It should be priced where it is or higher.  It's not on the shelves, so I would expect that the price point set by the supply/dmand curve is pretty close to where it should be.

TXL

People throw temper fits when they see a price they think is too high.  

But in reality TXL is spot on.  This would have squashed the shortage before it even started.  If .22 price floated like oil commodities, it'd fly up to $40/brick, all the stores would still have some on the shelf at that price, people would say "well that's kind of high, I'll wait", and the price would start floating back down.  And fewer people would be automatically buying it as soon as it's on the shelf, filling up their closets with .22 ammo they won't deplete for over a decade.  But if any store tries that, they'd be CTD'd and hated for years - so they can't.

I love seeing people bitching about .22 prices, with "who is John Galt?" in their sig files..
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 2:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TXL

People throw temper fits when they see a price they think is too high.  

But in reality TXL is spot on.  This would have squashed the shortage before it even started.  If .22 price floated like oil commodities, it'd fly up to $40/brick, all the stores would still have some on the shelf at that price, people would say "well that's kind of high, I'll wait", and the price would start floating back down.  And fewer people would be automatically buying it as soon as it's on the shelf, filling up their closets with .22 ammo they won't deplete for over a decade.  But if any store tries that, they'd be CTD'd and hated for years - so they can't.

I love seeing people bitching about .22 prices, with "who is John Galt?" in their sig files.

LOL ...

Link Posted: 1/31/2013 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Went shopping today gun shop wanted $70 for 500 rounds remington JHP 22lr! I told the owner thats crazy and i didnt need it that bad, a guy came in right behind me and bought it(the last box). there was some CCI for $20/100rounds.The main reason i purchased a 22 rifle and pistol was because of ammo price and availability. Walmart was completely out of 22lr, but they had 9mm which i bought five of for $14/50 rounds. Is walmart not price gouging? while independent shops are price gouging? This is gay, this whole ordeal is ruining my favorite hobby

Because people are buying all of it.

There it is, the correct answer.  

During times of shortage things are rationed, in this case ammo is rationed by price.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Had to go to Wal-Mart tonight for other stuff, but peaked my head into the ammo cabinet, just in case.  They had CCI 22 shotshells a couple of boxes of 40 S&W, and a couple boxes of 380.  There were a couple of random odd calibers, too.  Nothing really suprised me until I saw that all of their 12 gauge shotgun shells were gone.  There were like 2 boxes of 20 gauge.  I guess when people can't get the regular stuff, they buy whatever they can.  I'll have to see if shotshells are in short supply other places.  I haven't noticed that to be the case so far during this crisis.
Link Posted: 1/31/2013 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

im an idiot. lol. i just saw the picture and looked at the price and for some reason assumed it was for a single brick for some reason. oops lol. these prices and ammo chasing has got me a little loopy
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 3:53:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

im an idiot. lol. i just saw the picture and looked at the price and for some reason assumed it was for a single brick for some reason. oops lol. these prices and ammo chasing has got me a little loopy

hah, the only thing I'd consider paying that much for 500 rounds is .308
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 6:06:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

local gun store buys ammunition off shelves of wall mart, or pays locals to wipe them clean as soon as it comes in....

marks ammunition up 2-3x what they paid

?????

Profit!

So true.  I remember at the chantilly show there's always a guy with a small table selling Walmart bought ammo and close to 50% markup. I bet next week it'll be 200% marked up
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:22:05 AM EDT
[#21]
A local gun store owner blames the high 22lr demand on the show doomsday preppers combined with panic buying
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 8:33:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Had to go to Wal-Mart tonight for other stuff, but peaked my head into the ammo cabinet, just in case.  They had CCI 22 shotshells a couple of boxes of 40 S&W, and a couple boxes of 380.  There were a couple of random odd calibers, too.  Nothing really suprised me until I saw that all of their 12 gauge shotgun shells were gone.  There were like 2 boxes of 20 gauge.  I guess when people can't get the regular stuff, they buy whatever they can.  I'll have to see if shotshells are in short supply other places.  I haven't noticed that to be the case so far during this crisis.

You just described my Walmart almost exactly, except there's plenty of 20g. There was 3 boxes or Remington .22 the other day but I passed- I'm not crazy about .22 plain lead nosed bullets  (and even less crazy about Remington .22)
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

local gun store buys ammunition off shelves of wall mart, or pays locals to wipe them clean as soon as it comes in....

marks ammunition up 2-3x what they paid

?????

Profit!

So that is why we can only buy 3 boxes.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 10:15:21 AM EDT
[#24]
The price of .22LR, along with most other ammuntion, is going up because we the firearms community are in a self perpetuating panic.  I would say the panic went full swing after Obama's reaction to Sandy Hook.  It started with AR's and magazines, but pretty soon spread to most everything else.  Somewhat understandable with the uncertainty, but now that there is a good idea what's immediately on the table, panic is still going strong.  Now it's because we  are perpetuating the cycle.  People buy as much as they can, which empties the shelves and online sellers.  Then nothing is available, so panic sets in and as soon as anything arrives it is immediately bought up, which then reinforces the fact that shelves are empty so we need to buy, buy, buy anything as soon as possible.  We have (artificially IMHO) created a demand so high it is impossible for supply to catch up, and in this situation Economics 101 says prices will go up.  

How long will this last?  As long as a signficant amount of buyers feel the need to buy as much as they can as soon as they can this will be the market.  Prices will continue to increase with the continued high demand.  I suppose eventually people will run out of disposable income, and at that point the panic demand will start to slow down.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
A local gun store owner blames the high 22lr demand on the show doomsday preppers combined with panic buying

With all the "real" calibers so expensive and hard to find, many folks are shooting .22. I'm not burning up my impossible to replace 5.56 out or my AR or Sig 556, I'm shooting .22 out of my CMMG Quebec and Sig 522. The .22 is cheaper to replace and more likely to be available.  Hell, the run on .22 has even got me to shoot more airsoft so I don't blow through all my .22 stash!
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 5:39:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Until Walmart and all the other usual retailers of ammo have pallets of it taking up space in the backroom not being sold within a week, you'll see people buying up anything they can buy.  This idea that people will eventually stop buying ammo when they're limited to buying 3 boxes at a time when the shelves aren't bare is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The price of .22LR, along with most other ammuntion, is going up because we the firearms community are in a self perpetuating panic.  I would say the panic went full swing after Obama's reaction to Sandy Hook.  It started with AR's and magazines, but pretty soon spread to most everything else.  Somewhat understandable with the uncertainty, but now that there is a good idea what's immediately on the table, panic is still going strong.  Now it's because we  are perpetuating the cycle.  People buy as much as they can, which empties the shelves and online sellers.  Then nothing is available, so panic sets in and as soon as anything arrives it is immediately bought up, which then reinforces the fact that shelves are empty so we need to buy, buy, buy anything as soon as possible.  We have (artificially IMHO) created a demand so high it is impossible for supply to catch up, and in this situation Economics 101 says prices will go up.  

How long will this last?  As long as a signficant amount of buyers feel the need to buy as much as they can as soon as they can this will be the market.  Prices will continue to increase with the continued high demand.  I suppose eventually people will run out of disposable income, and at that point the panic demand will start to slow down.

There is no "articicial" demand here.  People are in a bit of a panic, and they are willing to pay some pretty ridiculous prices for ammo.  Ammo is being sold faster than it can be produced at the moment.  At the end of the day, some people will just end up with a slightly larger stash of overpriced ammo.  That in itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

To your second point, you are completely correct.  People will not pay these prices forever.  Not everyone has 2K per month to spend on ammo and guns.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Because a psycho killed a bunch of children in a school and liberals are using it as an opportunity to try to go after lawful gun owners and ammunition...people are buying as much as they can as quickly as they can because new legislation hangs over their heads like a sword of damocles...
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Gal at Dunhams told me that with .223 and 7.62x39 gone, folks have turned to all manner of .22 "EBRs".

I have 3 to feed and that was LONG before the shootings and the emergent ammo whoreders.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 10:06:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no "articicial" demand here.  People are in a bit of a panic, and they are willing to pay some pretty ridiculous prices for ammo.  Ammo is being sold faster than it can be produced at the moment.  At the end of the day, some people will just end up with a slightly larger stash of overpriced ammo.  That in itself is not necessarily a bad thing.

To your second point, you are completely correct.  People will not pay these prices forever.  Not everyone has 2K per month to spend on ammo and guns.

I've got to respectfully disagree.  I believe a significant amount of the panic is "artificial", meaning it's not related to items that may be restricted/banned.  

Panic buying AR-15 rifles is understandable, as there is a bill in the Senate now that would ban them from future sale.  Panic buying mags > 10 round capacity is alos understandable since AWB covers these as well.  Panic buying .22LR ammunition until the shelves are empty is not reasonable to me.  There is no indication yet of any Federal type of ammunition ban.  Certain states may restrict bulk online purchases, but due to low price point .22LR should be the least concern in this regard whereas bulk buying expensive ammunition would make some sense.

Seriously, I think people have thrown all logic and reason out the window and are just buying anything firearm related without thinking "Is there a reasonable chance if I don't buy this item right now I may not be able to purchase it 6 to 12 months down the road?".
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#31]
DT
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 11:12:51 AM EDT
[#32]
^ This. The whole industry/hobby has gone bat shit crazy, again.

I'm afraid to admit what I just payed for a 10/22 TD for my kid.

I ran to Walmart at 6 am the other day to buy some diapers and the sporting goods section was full of goons waiting for the shelves to be stocked.

One has to wonder how much of this ammo goes straight to gunbroker or the local guys' shelves.
Link Posted: 2/7/2013 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#33]
We've been through this before back in 08 . Just relax and wait it out, probably another 6 to 8 weeks and then it will be back to normal .
Just don't get cought short again when Hillary gets in in 2016 .
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 6:35:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We've been through this before back in 08 . Just relax and wait it out, probably another 6 to 8 weeks and then it will be back to normal .
Just don't get cought short again when Hillary gets in in 2016 .

If Hillary Clinton is ever elected president of the great country, I am moving to Switzerland!!  That will without question, be the end of the United States of America.  8 dreadful years of BHO and then 4 to 8 of Hillary...  blllllllaaaaaa I just threw up in mouth a little...
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 7:49:11 PM EDT
[#35]
I just saw a 5250 of Federal go for over $550.

I thought I got hosed at $ 300 a month ago....
Link Posted: 2/8/2013 11:53:57 PM EDT
[#36]
that's nothing I saw a bucket of bullets which is 1400 rounds go for 280 dollars 2 nights ago on Gunbroker

and that was for just 1 bucket
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:36:49 AM EDT
[#37]
that's nothing I saw a bucket of bullets which is 1400 rounds go for 280 dollars 2 nights ago on Gunbroker

and that was for just 1 bucket
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#38]
9 hour double tap
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 3:46:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Plenty of .22 lr here in Wisconsin (kenosha).  Bucket of 1600 rounds for $69.00.  Not too bad.  Subsonics were $40 for 500.

Guess it all depends on the area of the country.  I can still find .45 and .40 on the shelves.

Sorry guys.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#41]
.22 Caliber bullets really starting to rocket.....i'm going to list my 2K soon

.22 caliber bullets starting to ROCKET

Link Posted: 2/10/2013 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#42]
To answer the OP, I think it is pure simple supply and demand combined with people realizing that 22lr is in fact the only really affordable ammo to stockpile. I know that is the decission the wife and I made about a year ago and bought a brick or two every week for months. Looks like I could really cash in now at these prices but I somehow feel comforted knowing I at least have enough 22lr to comfortably cover our needs for the next few years. I also wonder if that recent gov purchase of ammo included a bunch of 22lr?
Link Posted: 2/10/2013 5:07:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Holy smokes....I sold 975 Federal Match Grade Target ammo tonight on Gunbroker.com

FOR $ 170

Link Posted: 2/12/2013 3:48:07 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/ammo.htm#Aguila22

http://www.thecmp.org/Sales/images/22ammo1.jpg

~$25 a brick.  Which was a bit steep a month ago, though not so bad for a semi-premium ammo.  Today, a complete steal.  Took about 3 weeks to fill my order.  

Get some to hold you over - it's not too dissimilar to the toilet paper panic, where someone made a rumor that the store was running out of toilet paper.  So everyone went out and bought all the toilet paper.  And the store went out of toilet paper.  When they were able to stock back up, everyone had tons of toilet paper, so they couldn't sell any.  So toilet paper prices plunged back down.  Same thing will happen with ammo.  Though I think the baseline of ammo consumption is just plain higher now than it used to be, and manufactures haven't figured that out yet.  Didn't figure it out last year either..  or the year before that... or the year before that... or the one before that...

Screw it, better order 5 cases of .22 ammo after all!

I just received my 10K round order.  Took about 6 weeks.  Not bad, and like you said, at that price, on this day, it's a steal.

Link Posted: 2/12/2013 5:58:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Have you tried to reload 22lr?

Now you tell me why people are buying it all up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#46]
All your panic buying is hitting us in Europe.  We get a container load every few weeks according to one of the main importers into the UK, but nothing has arrived for some time.  So bulk plinking .22 has been sold out with all the wholesalers who we buy off (we get about 80k a time).

Center Fire stuff ammo we are fine, and reloading supplies.  A mate just bough 3/4 of a tonne of MilSurp 5.56 that got sent back from the Middle East, so that will keep us going for some time.  If we could work out how to export it to you guys we would!
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#47]
A local gun shop got on two pallets of blazer bulk yesterday afternoon.  It was gone before closing time.  That is probably close to 100,000 rounds!
Link Posted: 2/12/2013 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I am having a real problem finding .22LR ammo.  I searched all over my basement the other day and all I could find was some I bought back in 2007 or 2008.

The Thunderbolt brick had a price of $10.00 on it from 1991.  The rest cost me around $13.00-$15.00 a brick.  Robbery, I tell you.

Close to 20,000 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2013 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Ive sold that much and still have ammo cans full of it.
Link Posted: 2/14/2013 2:00:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I just got the last brick of .22lr today within 50 miles. It sucks
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top