Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2010 4:58:40 PM EDT
Planning to by a weaver scope......what rings do I need  I figure 1in rings correct?  but see there are different heights......I would like a set of rings were I could still use the ironsights when mounted....but not give me a screwed up cheek rest.....suggestions?

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=183610
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 5:07:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Use standard rings and scope or iron sights, don't try to mix them up to have your cake and eat it too.

I like Millet 1" rimfire tip off rings, medium height will fit the vast majority of scopes anybody might consider putting on a Marlin semi auto.
Because Marlin 60/795 ring grooves can vary quite a bit dimensionally, don't use a ring with a fixed block on one side and a tightener block on the other.
Choose a ring which allows adjustment of both sides of the ring blocks.
Millet rings are designed this way.

I gave up on a scope for my Model 60, to get a decent one mounted to the rifle would cost more than the rifle, goofy in my book.
I instead opted to use an old Lyman Target Foolproof rimfire receiver sight on mine and got lucky.
It clamped down correctly.
Now I have to try a few front sight blades to get it to regulate the way I want it to.
I also installed a Williams shorty ramp on the front and it looks like a narrow .290" or .312" high blade will be the ticket.
The .260" I have on it now is too short.HTH
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Given that the 795 has tendencies to allow "walking" due to dovetail rail variances, I suggest this scope mount
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#3]
This is what I use on my .22 rifles.
Notice the cost of just the rings verses the cost of the complete rifle however.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9078/Product/ANGLE_LOC_trade___22_SCOPE_RINGS
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
If you are not gonna lap your rings these are a good choice in medium.
They are not cheap ,but if your mount and scope is not sound,save your money and shoot irons.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-airgun-rimfire-signature-1-rifle-scope-mount-rings.html
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I had bad "walking" problem with the rings supplied with my cheap Barska scope. Cure was taking a Weaver TO-10 top mount base and grinding/filling the bottom side until I had a light drive fit onto the 795 tipoff grooves, then setscrewing in place and using standard weaver type rings (about $18 for rings and the TO-10 mount, $20 for scope). Fingernail polish seal shows no movement after 100 rounds. Good enough for a bronze in its first CMP Sporterrifle outing. Only bummer is the mount is a little thick to use the irons with scope removed. And the trigger is improving with use so may not bother with a trigger job- not nearly as "creepy".
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Man the trigger on my Model 60 is horrible!
Worst of any .22 rifle I own!
Hopefully it settles in and begins to lighten up a bit with more use because I have handled and worked on more than a few Marlins with much better trigger pullls!

Since I bought mine as an inexpensive general use rifle, I am trying to avoid putting any more money in the gun than the sum of its worth.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Man the trigger on my Model 60 is horrible!
Worst of any .22 rifle I own!
Hopefully it settles in and begins to lighten up a bit with more use because I have handled and worked on more than a few Marlins with much better trigger pullls!

Since I bought mine as an inexpensive general use rifle, I am trying to avoid putting any more money in the gun than the sum of its worth.

Do this and you can bring your trigger to somewhere between 2.5 - 4 lbs, with minimal creep. The fix involves $0 and about 20 minutes of your time.
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you are not gonna lap your rings these are a good choice in medium.
They are not cheap ,but if your mount and scope is not sound,save your money and shoot irons.
http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-airgun-rimfire-signature-1-rifle-scope-mount-rings.html

I like these....gives me the ability to take off fast if need be............Is medium the right height for the 795? to allow for proper cheek weld
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 7:20:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I used a leaper UTG riser to keep my scope from walking off the back. There is a set srew in the top - i ever so slightly drilled a dimple in the top of the action & blue lock-tited all the screws. I also replaced the trigger spring with a 3.5" floppy spring (5 minute job) to help the trigger pull. Then mouned some cheap rings that came off a Savage combo that came with a Simmons scope.

Here is a link to the mods I did. Mine is the folder with the Tan paint job. http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=77832

I have put the factory stock back on the 795 - the cheek weld sucks on the folder - It looks kinda cool & kids love it. The Nikon was overkill & I've since put a Leaper fixed 6X ($ 25) scope on it. I have about $ 135 bucks in this after rebate.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top