Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2017 1:37:34 AM EDT
What's everyone's opinions? Obviously bare plates are silly but how does everyone fee about just a base coat of anti-spall vs a full buildup? Worth the extra $, bulk/weight and thickness?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It's hard to say. I haven't been able to find any testing done on plates with just a base coat. On top of that each manufacturer may have different standards for how thick a base coat should be, and some use different products for anti-frag coats. There's a lot of variables involved.

Personally, I won't buy steel plates that I'm going to wear without a build up coat. Not worth the risk.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a pair of alloy plates for training but do keep them in the closet just in case. I placed old soft armor over the plate front, somewhat for spall and also for cushioning when working out (preventing damage).
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Add a bunch of ceramic, then remove the steel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:52:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Haha wish I could afford it, mate. Really do.

Ended up going with the Spartan III+ 8x10s with ATC triple curve and full coat of frag mitigation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ended up going with the Spartan III+ 8x10s with ATC triple curve and full coat of frag mitigation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You just spent $260. These would have come to $280 and I bet you could have  found a 20% off coupon that's always floating around.

Highcom

Here's a set for $260 but I'm unfamiliar with the company.

Hoplite

If you looked I'm sure you could find a pair of small SAPIs for around $200
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You just spent $260. These would have come to $280 and I bet you could have  found a 20% off coupon that's always floating around.

Highcom
View Quote
Yep, I got the 10x12 multi curved plates for ~$140ish/ea using a coupon code. And they're level IV protection as opposed to "III+".
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd make a few Kevlar "socks" to put the plates in before I put them in the carrier.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
RMA also sells NIJ Certified (yes on the NIJ list) 06 Level IV plates for $100/each right now. #1155. They're only single curve though :(
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Well crap - why were the SAPI/composite plates I was looking at seeming to run $200+ a plate?

I originally decided on III+ because I realistically don't plan on encountering AP 30-06 and was more concerned about more likely threats (close range xm193 / xm855 / 7.62x39... .308 at worst). IV steel sounded way too heavy. Also wanted something not as thick - the ceramic/composite plates I was looking at were .8-1.00" thick and didn't sound much lighter than steel. These plates claim to be 6.1 lbs a pop and .5-.6" thick with the coating which is closer to what I was going for.

I WAS decided on III+ single curve but ended up selling a few things on craigslist earlier that day so I impulsively decided on triple-curve for the added comfort and body shape fit. Didn't realize decent quality ceramics weren't that much further off
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
RMA also sells NIJ Certified (yes on the NIJ list) 06 Level IV plates for $100/each right now. #1155. They're only single curve though :(
View Quote
I checked the site but only saw 10x12. Do they have 8x10s?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 7:15:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Point Blank Armor sells a Kevlar wrap for plates. It does add some weight and thickness though. My issued plates came with them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well crap - why were the SAPI/composite plates I was looking at seeming to run $200+ a plate?

I originally decided on III+ because I realistically don't plan on encountering AP 30-06 and was more concerned about more likely threats (close range xm193 / xm855 / 7.62x39... .308 at worst). IV steel sounded way too heavy. Also wanted something not as thick - the ceramic/composite plates I was looking at were .8-1.00" thick and didn't sound much lighter than steel. These plates claim to be 6.1 lbs a pop and .5-.6" thick with the coating which is closer to what I was going for.

I WAS decided on III+ single curve but ended up selling a few things on craigslist earlier that day so I impulsively decided on triple-curve for the added comfort and body shape fit. Didn't realize decent quality ceramics weren't that much further off
View Quote
Highcom and Midwest Armor both offer level IV ceramics for <$200, and both usually have additional coupon codes available. Granted, these are not the über lightweight UHMWPE plates, they tend to be 7+ lbs per plate. But that's the trade-off. You can have cheap/affordable or lightweight, but I've yet to find both.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Highcom and Midwest Armor both offer level IV ceramics for <$200, and both usually have additional coupon codes available. Granted, these are not the über lightweight UHMWPE plates, they tend to be 7+ lbs per plate. But that's the trade-off. You can have cheap/affordable or lightweight, but I've yet to find both.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, but still lighter than steel
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:07:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I checked the site but only saw 10x12. Do they have 8x10s?
View Quote
Just the 10x12 I believe right now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top