Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2017 8:53:22 PM EDT
Hey guys, what's the consensus of an absolute need to run an IFAK on your PC if you've got one on your battle belt?  I'm just trying to get stuff off if my PC.

Should I just bite the bullet and keep one on my pc?  I just can't find any position that I find comfortable that I can still reach. Plus it's extra weight.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Would run one where ever you want and would place another tq in an opposite location.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:57:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes... another tourniquet at the very least!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:58:22 PM EDT
[#3]
You going into battle?  How many IFAKS do soldiers typically carry on them going on patrol?

Put one on your belt call it a day
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 11:26:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Situation dependant.  Two is one and one is none.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:12:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
no.

Quoted:
No.

Streamline your shit.

One well stocked IFAK will suffice. In one place. I have mine on my belt because it allows me to keep valuable real-estate on my PC, and cuts way down on the shit that gets in my way when shooting, which is primary battlefield medicine anyway. Belt is also nice because if everyone else on my team is occupied, I can move the belt around to either side to access with either hand

Two IFAKs have no purpose and add unnecessary weight and bulk to your kit. If additional medical supplies are going to be needed, it is either a situation you should not have put yourself into, or a situation in which someone in your group ought to be carrying an actual Aid Bag (see first situation)
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 5:29:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hey guys, what's the consensus of an absolute need to run an IFAK on your PC if you've got one on your battle belt?  I'm just trying to get stuff off if my PC.

Should I just bite the bullet and keep one on my pc?  I just can't find any position that I find comfortable that I can still reach. Plus it's extra weight.
View Quote

I keep one good IFAK in the small of my back on my belt and i have a bleeder kit in a single close top at mag pouch behind my right arm. It has a red cross and if needed it can be used to help someone else. I don't imagine if I ever need my PC I'll have the luxury of only being around armed equipped people with their own IFAKs.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I do a 2 cell bleeder and 2 TQs, on my PC.  Each bag I have gets an actual FAK of varying sizes.

I have a range belt that gets a bleeder/TQ, and a combat belt that just gets another TQ.  Reason being I use a lighter belt for ranges and training others that I want to be standalone without always having a PC on.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I run one on each. Reason is sometimes I run belt without armor or may have to run armor without belt (no time to put on belt) An IFAK can be incredibly small. Look at Cleer Medical or the smallest BFG as examples. I carry IFAK on front of one cummerbund, TQ on the other. On my belt TQ is inside the IFAK on lower back due to space issues. Also carry a SWAT T in cargo pocket per department policy.

I'm a firm 2 IFAK / 2 TQ proponent. What if your injury is getting shot through the IFAK? Also since I run minimized IFAKs, 2 has more gauze, which is a bulky item, so I don't have a lot.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I have all my med kit on my belt. One IFAK with an additional TQ up front where it can be reached with either hand.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:59:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Necessary? No. But I think some redundancy is good. An extra Izzy and TQ is a good way to do it.

I would figure out which one you are going to wear more. Put main IFAK there, put an izzy and TQ on the other.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I run one on each. Reason is sometimes I run belt without armor or may have to run armor without belt (no time to put on belt) An IFAK can be incredibly small. Look at Cleer Medical or the smallest BFG as examples. I carry IFAK on front of one cummerbund, TQ on the other. On my belt TQ is inside the IFAK on lower back due to space issues. Also carry a SWAT T in cargo pocket per department policy.

I'm a firm 2 IFAK / 2 TQ proponent. What if your injury is getting shot through the IFAK? Also since I run minimized IFAKs, 2 has more gauze, which is a bulky item, so I don't have a lot.
View Quote
I love my CLEER Medical on my belt. It is tiny but still has what you need. I have "big" IFAK on my chest rig, OLAES, HALO, Combat Gauze, TQ. The Blue Force Gear looks equally good to the CLEER.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:35:19 AM EDT
[#12]
So I run two but only one mounted on my belt. The other is in a backpack I always carry.

I'm a firm believer in the two rule and it doesn't take up much real estate in my bag.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
no.

No.

Streamline your shit.

One well stocked IFAK will suffice. In one place. I have mine on my belt because it allows me to keep valuable real-estate on my PC, and cuts way down on the shit that gets in my way when shooting, which is primary battlefield medicine anyway. Belt is also nice because if everyone else on my team is occupied, I can move the belt around to either side to access with either hand

Two IFAKs have no purpose and add unnecessary weight and bulk to your kit. If additional medical supplies are going to be needed, it is either a situation you should not have put yourself into, or a situation in which someone in your group ought to be carrying an actual Aid Bag (see first situation)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
no.

Quoted:
No.

Streamline your shit.

First casualty I ever touched had 9 penetrating wounds with two arterial bleeds in different arteries plus an airway injury. He survived for 3 more days.  

I carry two now.  I had one then.  It was not close to enough.  

Ymmv
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
You want to have the least amount of bulk cluttering up your kit. If you have one on your belt you have no need to put one on your vest. In my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:43:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Nothing wrong with two IFAKs. You're the one who will be carrying it, and you're the one who needs to test your gear to make sure it's in a location that is accessible and doesn't hinder the use of your other equipment. If space is a concern, there are many compact IFAK's available in today's market.

I have one IFAK, but it has nearly double of everything in it. I have two TQ's, one in the IFAK and one on my belt.

You could easily run an Eleven 10 Gear (formerly Cleer Medical) MBOK on your PC or belt in addition to a secondary TQ.

Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Micro kits lack volume to adequately contain wound packing materials in useful volume.  Plus, the dressings are too small for a lot of wounds.  

The 4 inch Izzy is about as small as I find workable in real life.  

it can take a lot of gauze to correctly pack a decent wound.  I've had to use three Z fold packs on one leg and still had to start shoving in plastic packaging and an Ace bandage to try and pack it hard and tight to the bone.  

Plus, cellox gauze works better than combat gauze IMO...but it's fluffy and bulky.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Micro kits lack volume to adequately contain wound packing materials in useful volume.  Plus, the dressings are too small for a lot of wounds.  

it can take a lot of gauze to correctly pack a decent wound.  I've had to use three Z fold packs on one leg and still had to start shoving in plastic packaging and an Ace bandage to try and pack it hard and tight to the bone.  

Plus, cellox gauze works better than combat gauze IMO...but it's fluffy and bulky.  
View Quote
The original CLEER Medical MBOK's came with Cellox. The new Eleven10 MBOK's have Combat Gauze or Phocus Frog Gauze.

I wasn't suggesting the MBOK because of its contents, because you can tailor the contents for your needs. I was simply showing the MBOK for its size.

You can fit Cellox and a 4" bandage within the MBOK. It actually holds a lot of stuff for the size.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:45:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#19]
In the infantry we were told to plug our own wounds to the best of our ability and wait for the corpsman. If we can shoot and wait than great.

It's was actually detrimental to the mission if a healthy shooter stops to provide aid when they should be shooting to end the fight.

So, pack as much as you want to use on yourself.

Me? Currently my shits for training. I keep 1 tq and probably enough gauze/bandages for 3-4 serious wounds and 2 packs of quick clot. Lots of band-aids and Neosporin for small cuts which gets used a lot. It's on my belt as my armor is slick.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 7:02:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

First casualty I ever touched had 9 penetrating wounds with two arterial bleeds in different arteries plus an airway injury. He survived for 3 more days.  

I carry two now.  I had one then.  It was not close to enough.  

Ymmv
View Quote
sorry you had that happen man :(

That situation though is straight up aid bag worthy.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The original CLEER Medical MBOK's came with Cellox. The new Eleven10 MBOK's have Combat Gauze or Phocus Frog Gauze.

I wasn't suggesting the MBOK because of its contents, because you can tailor the contents for your needs. I was simply showing the MBOK for its size.

You can fit Cellox and a 4" bandage within the MBOK. It actually holds a lot of stuff for the size.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Cleer kit also has reduce size components - the celox gaauze may not be enough to properly packs woumd , the dressing is also reduced size and may not be able to cover/ wrap some wounds.  Just because it's name branded doesn't mean it will work in all situations    The CLEER kit is a good idea for niche use and as long as you know that and have trained on its exact contents to know their limitations
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 7:22:41 AM EDT
[#22]
The new Army standard is to carry an IFAK and two TQs on every soldier. If nothing else, you can TQ both legs and improvise for the arms.

Sucks to put all that work in and he only lasted 3 days. At least you did what you could.
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 11:39:12 AM EDT
[#23]
For my deployment shit, I have a full IFAK on my PC and a GSW kit on my belt (4" Izzy, combat gauze and TQ). On my garrison gear, I carry an IFAK on the PC and a TQ on the belt. Since it's effectively a police duty belt, that's all I have room for, so I carry a second TQ and a 6" Izzy in my bag. I'm one of the few who carries anything at all, and no matter how much I talk to people about it, the idea never seems to register.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 1:20:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Our chief has made TQ mandatory for every officer and put a full trauma kit in the glove box of every police vehicle (SOF-T, Quickclot, Izzy, extra gauze, chest seals, shears, tape, gloves). It's not expensive either. We do shift training once a month in tbeir use. If any officer wants to propose the same, make sure you have full price quotes and a per vehicle price if you want the suggestion acted upon. We bought seperate components and sealed them in heat sealed evidence bags with nips cut in edges to aid in opening. Cost less than any complete kit. Plus it is good PR when he can tell city council about their use in traffic accident victims, etc.

As for the other peoples questions about multiple gunshot wounds or other injuries...

All serious wounds to extremities get a TQ first. Everything else for an extremity is icing.
All junctional wounds that do no intrude into abdominal cavity but are too high to get a TQ get Quickclot/gauze. (Shoulder, hip, etc.)
All chest wounds get a seal.

In that order and as a general rule.

In general, you don't stuff gauze into central body cavity. There is nothing to pack into or against. Combat gauze in an extremity is used when a juncture wound is done or not present and there is some left for extremities, otherwise just regular gauze. Pressure dressing is last. Direct pressure is best, but if you have to hold one wound and there is another that needs pressure, or you need to move the person, a pressure dressing is nice, but not necessary.

A mini kit like the CLEER on my carrier can handle one basic of each injury. Chest seals come in twos so covers both sides entry and exit, plus you can make a makeshift seal from tape and the packaging material.

A full kit can cover a very bad or second wound with extra gauze, but still not enough for some situations.

Then there is the situation where you come across a downed fellow officer from another agency, with no medical gear, in something like an active shooter scenario, but you can't hear any gunfire or screams to direct you to any emergency. Do you stop and use your only kit on him? Do you just leave him there to die to keep looking for a threat? Do you toss him your IFAK and go look for the threat with no IFAK? Much easier decision when you have a spare to throw down and can keep moving with the other one still on you.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Our chief has made TQ mandatory for every officer and put a full trauma kit in the glove box of every police vehicle (SOF-T, Quickclot, Izzy, extra gauze, chest seals, shears, tape, gloves). It's not expensive either. We do shift training once a month in tbeir use. If any officer wants to propose the same, make sure you have full price quotes and a per vehicle price if you want the suggestion acted upon. We bought seperate components and sealed them in heat sealed evidence bags with nips cut in edges to aid in opening. Cost less than any complete kit. Plus it is good PR when he can tell city council about their use in traffic accident victims, etc.

As for the other peoples questions about multiple gunshot wounds or other injuries...

All serious wounds to extremities get a TQ first. Everything else for an extremity is icing.
All junctional wounds that do no intrude into abdominal cavity but are too high to get a TQ get Quickclot/gauze. (Shoulder, hip, etc.)
All chest wounds get a seal.

In that order and as a general rule.

In general, you don't stuff gauze into central body cavity. There is nothing to pack into or against. Combat gauze in an extremity is used when a juncture wound is done or not present and there is some left for extremities, otherwise just regular gauze. Pressure dressing is last. Direct pressure is best, but if you have to hold one wound and there is another that needs pressure, or you need to move the person, a pressure dressing is nice, but not necessary.

A mini kit like the CLEER on my carrier can handle one basic of each injury. Chest seals come in twos so covers both sides entry and exit, plus you can make a makeshift seal from tape and the packaging material.

A full kit can cover a very bad or second wound with extra gauze, but still not enough for some situations.

Then there is the situation where you come across a downed fellow officer from another agency, with no medical gear, in something like an active shooter scenario, but you can't hear any gunfire or screams to direct you to any emergency. Do you stop and use your only kit on him? Do you just leave him there to die to keep looking for a threat? Do you toss him your IFAK and go look for the threat with no IFAK? Much easier decision when you have a spare to throw down and can keep moving with the other one still on you.
View Quote
Reading this just reinforces the fact that I need more training despite at least having the brains to at least have the stuff.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:53:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I would just run one personally. The IFAK is made to patch you up... not others. If you're that fucked up man... youre gone. An extra tourniquet makes sense though. I run a BFG MTKN on my 6 and a tourniquet up front on my IOTV with a REFactor T holder.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top