Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2017 1:09:12 PM EDT
Hey all, a couple of questions here for those who are knowledgeable about helmets....

1) Does combat-worthy/durable electronic hearing protection get any better than the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X - Premium?

2) How does one *robustly* attach hearing protection to a bump or ballistic helmet? Is it even necessary, or can they be worn simultaneously without any mods? I honestly do not know much about either helmet, though they all see to have a sort of "rail" system that goes along the side.

Thank you in advance for any help.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 1:24:04 PM EDT
[#1]
have a look at this thread in the night vision section

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/226892_NIGHT-VISION-HELMET-RIGS---let-s-see-your-pics-.html&page=62
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey all, a couple of questions here for those who are knowledgeable about helmets....

1) Does combat-worthy/durable electronic hearing protection get any better than the MSA Sordin Supreme Pro X - Premium?

2) How does one *robustly* attach hearing protection to a bump or ballistic helmet? Is it even necessary, or can they be worn simultaneously without any mods? I honestly do not know much about either helmet, though they all see to have a sort of "rail" system that goes along the side.

View Quote

1) Peltor Comtacs
2) Depends on the helmet and hearing protection you have.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

1) Peltor Comtacs
2) Depends on the helmet and hearing protection you have.
View Quote
Thanks for the Peltor Comtac recommendation. Upon some reading, it's clear they're the more rugged earmuffs.

Any idea how easy it is to get them attached to this helmet here? http://www.opticsplanet.com/team-wendy-exfil-ballistic-helmet-with-shroud-boltless-retention.html?image=8e8b4ff2b8
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
1. Yes, Peltor Comtac III (I also own Sordin Supreme Pro)

2. 3M Peltor ARC rail adapters  (Industry standard for a reason)
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 9:22:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thanks for the Peltor Comtac recommendation. Upon some reading, it's clear they're the more rugged earmuffs.

Any idea how easy it is to get them attached to this helmet here? http://www.opticsplanet.com/team-wendy-exfil-ballistic-helmet-with-shroud-boltless-retention.html?image=8e8b4ff2b8
View Quote
I would avoid nonstandard aka nonARC  rails.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are even better reasons to avoid Team Wendy...

They enthusiastically hosted Hillary Clinton's first campaign stop. Fuck Team Wendy
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I use Silynx Clarus Pro, they also offer options with radio comms.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:51:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've looked at these before and I'm curious as to how effective they are at hearing protection.  I'm assuming they are not as good as traditional earmuff style hearing protection- would this be correct?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I used these

and these

to attach to this

They work great together.

John
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:07:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've looked at these before and I'm curious as to how effective they are at hearing protection.  I'm assuming they are not as good as traditional earmuff style hearing protection- would this be correct?
View Quote
was wondering this as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think they work better than traditional, but that's just an opinion.

I don't gave hard data to back it up.

Apparently you can get custom plugs made for Silynx that are the tits.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
They're not....I've killed about a half dozen in the last 4 years.  I doubt you're going to put them through what I did though.  And frankly unless you have a need to connect to comms regularly you're spending more money than you need to for them.  

MSA's are better in some areas and worse in others.  Same goes for Peltors.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:22:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They're not....I've killed about a half dozen in the last 4 years.  I doubt you're going to put them through what I did though.  And frankly unless you have a need to connect to comms regularly you're spending more money than you need to for them.  

MSA's are better in some areas and worse in others.  Same goes for Peltors.
View Quote
Funny thing is, I hear the exact opposite. And my comtacs have been A+
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I DIY'd this setup.
Works very well, but I use plugs under them also.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sure I'll get flamed for not spending $400 on tier 1, but it's $360 more for classes and ammo.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:30:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Funny thing is, I hear the exact opposite. And my comtacs have been A+
View Quote
YMMV but they don't seem to last long for me.  Some of the ones I killed was due to "accidents"....like taking an unplanned swim with all my kit on....that sucked.  Others just stopped working on me.  The common failures were the microphone ports ceasing to function or the electronics would fail.  I have dual comms because I need dual comms, so if one side goes out then it is a really big deal.  The ones that just up and stopped working, best guess is moisture killed them.

Pretty sure this is the "rate/type of failure" for me
1 drowned (that sucked)
1 or 2 mic port failures
1 ceased all function
1 ceased function on one side
1 downlead broken

In a 6mo rotation I killed 3 (drown, and ceasing fuctions), broke a downlead during PMT when it snagged (shit happens, chock this one up as "abuse"), and the mic ports failed on another rotation.  I still use my dual comm peltors because they're issued so I can just DX them whenever I want.  A few dudes I work with splurged for MSA's and they love them.  I have a few sets of personal non-comm peltors for recreational shooting and loud work around the house, they're all fine.  As with everything YMMV.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sure I'll get flamed for not spending $400 on tier 1, but it's $360 more for classes and ammo.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361596/20170622-204537-236782.JPG
View Quote
Doubt you'll get flamed for not being tier1 when you're rocking an INVG!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:48:01 PM EDT
[#18]
As always, I have MSA Sordin Supreme Pro, in Multicam, with gel ear cups (coming apart) latest LED integrated, a retro com kit with boom mic to make em headset compatible from SRS Tactical and Iron Forged Adapters in tan, which I will trade straight up for a Comtac III.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#19]
As always, I have MSA Sordin Supreme Pro, in Multicam, with gel ear cups (coming apart) latest LED integrated, a retro com kit with boom mic to make em headset compatible from SRS Tactical and Iron Forged Adapters in tan, which I will trade straight up for a Comtac III. No takers so far.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:09:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File
I have a TW Exfil LTP with cheaper Peltors. I bought the TW before the Hillary crap...blah blah. Anyhow, to hang them on a TW, you have to buy the TW hangers and they aren't exactly cheap. They work well though. 
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:23:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Please do not buy or support Team Wendy (FTW) by buying their stuff, ever again.  Can't blame consumers for getting their gear before FTW "came out" as NeverTrumpers though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top