Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2017 9:37:46 PM EDT
I am looking for a camelbak/pack similar to the Camelbak MULE primarily for running but it needs to have storage for day hikes as well. Items carried on the run will be food for 1-2, knife, light, IFAK and binos. It needs to have molle strips to add external storage if needed/wanted. Light weight and slim profile with a 100 oz bladder is also a must.

What packs are you guys using that matches this criteria. Economically priced is better. I like the MULE but feel like there has got to be better options for the price range.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 7:42:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I use an AWS "yote" style assault pack.  With a 3L Source bladder.  And assorted accoutrement for the mission at hand.  Running, hiking, patrolling, etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:58:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cdnn sale
View Quote
Came to post this. Eagle Industries: multiple colors, 1 pocket, 2 pockets, straight hydration packs available at great prices. I picked up a few last night.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I am looking for a camelbak/pack similar to the Camelbak MULE primarily for running but it needs to have storage for day hikes as well. Items carried on the run will be food for 1-2, knife, light, IFAK and binos. It needs to have molle strips to add external storage if needed/wanted. Light weight and slim profile with a 100 oz bladder is also a must.

What packs are you guys using that matches this criteria. Economically priced is better. I like the MULE but feel like there has got to be better options for the price range.
View Quote

I don't run molle because you defeat the whole point of a lightweight minimalist pack. Once you add extra pouches and fill them you need a hard suspension and gave ruined the minimalist ruck concept. Not to mention molle pouches generally means you should have just purchased a larger pack to begin with. I have a Black Diamond Magnum that has served me well over the years and it holds a 3L Camelback as a minimalist day pack. No suspension, frame plate, etc. and under a pound. I carry everything you just listed in the pack on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't run molle because you defeat the whole point of a lightweight minimalist pack. Once you add extra pouches and fill them you need a hard suspension and gave ruined the minimalist ruck concept. Not to mention molle pouches generally means you should have just purchased a larger pack to begin with. I have a Black Diamond Magnum that has served me well over the years and it holds a 3L Camelback as a minimalist day pack. No suspension, frame plate, etc. and under a pound. I carry everything you just listed in the pack on a regular basis.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:22:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a Source Commander (the older 5L style, not the newer 10L...wish I had a 10L) that I've hiked about 2500 miles with. No tears, no rips, just some fading since about 1500 miles of that was in direct sunlight.

I did replace the original valve with a Storm valve, and added a magnetic clip and ITW Dominator for hose management.

Amazon link

I'd highly recommend them. $100 to $150 depending on color.

ETA: I've only added MOLLE pouches to it couple times. I wasn't a fan, but if you're leading a group of yankees on a hike in Texas, you can add 4x double mag pouches (full of water bottles). It's heavy that way though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:31:34 AM EDT
[#7]
For day hikes I use the hill people gear tarahumara. No molle but it meets all the other criteria and is bomb proof.
HPG Tara
Picture stolen from HPG website.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:52:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As you have probably figured out by now, and based on the Original Post, PALS/MOLLE webbing adds configurability while exacting a small price in the weight of the PALS/MOLLE webbing alone.

I would say that whatever bladder carrier/light pack you choose must include both a sternum strap and a belly band.  Virtually every Camelbak Milsurp bladder carrier I've seen has a way to attach a belly band, which stabilizes the lower portion of the bladder carrier.  Mostly it's a channel through the fabric on the ventral side of the carrier.  If you're running, a belly band is essential, lest the bladder carrier wear a hole in your back because it's moving side-to-side every pace.  Basically a 1" nylon strap and a QD buckle with strap adjustment on both sides of the buckle.  The sternum strap is essential to keep the shoulder straps in the right place on your body, and so avoid fussing with them every few feet of travel. 

View Quote
That may be a "body type" thing then.

I've done plenty of running with a hydration pack but no sternum or waist straps without issue. I actually take off the sternum strap because it just gets in the way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top