User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have 1.0 my Lt. has 2.0, the 2.0 is more money, then you gotta buy a front placket for extra. They don't mention that

Do you need different modular front and rear? I dont. Do you need QD shoulder tabs? I got EMT shears to do that if I need to.

It's like $200 more all said and done, almost twice as much for a 2.0 but it is cooler than a 1.0 version I guess. My Lt. let's me know all text time I have the "old outdated 1.0" as a joke.
View Quote
Good info.

I'm either down to a jpc 1.0 or a velocity scarab light.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Lots of fail above...none of that is true, but part truths.

3A can have almost unlimited backface because the only standard is no damage to witness plate. Mil 9mm has different backface signature limits depending on location with 9mm but does not even test for the penetration of 44mag 3A NIJ testing does. The skull is flexible to a degree and you do NOT get a depressed skull fracture that equal clay depression on the human skull.

The guy was asking about Revision helmets specifically which are the same mil or nij. Mil testing is more frequent, extensive,  and requires more units per test, so that gets passed along the the buyer. The NIJ version is identical, just cheaper.
View Quote
NIJ has it's own specs for helmets, there is no .44 mag testing on the helmet test, not even on the level II. Calling a helmet IIIA is a reference to torso armor which means they're doing the test wrong. https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/077182.pdf
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 5:33:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a pair of $140 Hesco level IV plates that weigh ~7.5lbs per plate, and a PIG Brig PC.

I will be upgrading carriers this year, and plates within 18mo.  Lightweight armor IS worth it.
View Quote
This says it all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 6:23:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

NIJ has it's own specs for helmets, there is no .44 mag testing on the helmet test, not even on the level II. Calling a helmet IIIA is a reference to torso armor which means they're doing the test wrong. https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/077182.pdf
View Quote
You are mincing words over nothing. The tests are done with level IIIA rounds and to the same standards. What they actually say is "...the Viper A3 helmet stops NIJ IIIA level threats." Which is true. People say say its a "IIIA helmet" because that is just accepted description everyone understands the meaning of, kind of l;ike a level III+ plate, even if not technically correct. Its like people who argue over BABT or Backface Signature and Backface Deformation... all the same thing, or silencer vs suppressor. Point is... tested to stop IIIA threats, military testing does 9mm only. But it does not matter if both are testing the same helmet... they are still the same helmet. NIJ testing of helmets is penetration only without regard to backface signature.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You are mincing words over nothing. The tests are done with level IIIA rounds and to the same standards. What they actually say is "...the Viper A3 helmet stops NIJ IIIA level threats." Which is true. People say say its a "IIIA helmet" because that is just accepted description everyone understands the meaning of, kind of l;ike a level III+ plate, even if not technically correct. Its like people who argue over BABT or Backface Signature and Backface Deformation... all the same thing, or silencer vs suppressor. Point is... tested to stop IIIA threats, military testing does 9mm only. But it does not matter if both are testing the same helmet... they are still the same helmet. NIJ testing of helmets is penetration only without regard to backface signature.
View Quote
Did you read the link? 3 levels, .25 ACP, 9mm @ 1100 FPS, 9mm @ 1400 FPS. No damage to the .5mm plate underneath. No .44 mag. They're rated, I, IIA, and II. If you look at the CVC it's got two ratings, one equivalent to IIA and one equivalent to II. The mil standard is the same testing omitting the I. While most people understand the meaning there are differences, they're not big differences but they're there. For example the UK has their own specs for everything, their III is called RF1. While nearly identical a plate that meets one may not meet the other. For me, as someone who sells the stuff, it's on me to make sure that my customer has absolutely every bit of info possible before they make their decision.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:14:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the Revision helmet is a viable alternative for civilian use, in a WROL type situation.  So it depends on your terrain and situation.  The LE-rated model is heavier than the lighter-weight models, but again, half the price.  Considering the threat(s) you might face, versus what you might see on the modern battlefield, and buy accordingly.  It is sold by a reputable vendor so I don't think it is junk.  Really, the issue I see is the weight.  Most of the guys that have worn these things extensively will opt for the lighter weight gear; maybe after enough experience I will too.  But for now, this option will get you into the game.

There are lots of different helmets out there; vendors are catering to different price points, so buyer beware.  I wanted an economical alternative, but I also wanted a trusted vendor who made and sold them.  Some(?) cops are cheap.  So you will often find lower cost alternatives for them.  Sometimes it's crap, sometimes it's a good deal.  I think in this case it's the latter.  

The plates are obviously the biggest weight factor, but the carrier can also contribute.  I know guys who are cutting every un-used piece of webbing n such off these things.  In fact, I'm modifying my buddy's Crye PC by cutting all the webbing n stuff off, and direct sewing the pouches he wants.  But again, it comes at a price.  The Crye rigs with innovative (and light-weight) materials are expensive; the heavier models are more moderately priced.  I would concentrate on the lightest plates I could get, and get a good, solid PC, which I could upgrade later.

Brands like TT/Grey Ghost, and AWS are solid, "blue-collar" brands that are dependable and moderately priced.  They will get you into the game.  The Gucci brands are worth it to get the extra features, such as lighter weight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think the Revision helmet is a viable alternative for civilian use, in a WROL type situation.  So it depends on your terrain and situation.  The LE-rated model is heavier than the lighter-weight models, but again, half the price.  Considering the threat(s) you might face, versus what you might see on the modern battlefield, and buy accordingly.  It is sold by a reputable vendor so I don't think it is junk.  Really, the issue I see is the weight.  Most of the guys that have worn these things extensively will opt for the lighter weight gear; maybe after enough experience I will too.  But for now, this option will get you into the game.

There are lots of different helmets out there; vendors are catering to different price points, so buyer beware.  I wanted an economical alternative, but I also wanted a trusted vendor who made and sold them.  Some(?) cops are cheap.  So you will often find lower cost alternatives for them.  Sometimes it's crap, sometimes it's a good deal.  I think in this case it's the latter.  

The plates are obviously the biggest weight factor, but the carrier can also contribute.  I know guys who are cutting every un-used piece of webbing n such off these things.  In fact, I'm modifying my buddy's Crye PC by cutting all the webbing n stuff off, and direct sewing the pouches he wants.  But again, it comes at a price.  The Crye rigs with innovative (and light-weight) materials are expensive; the heavier models are more moderately priced.  I would concentrate on the lightest plates I could get, and get a good, solid PC, which I could upgrade later.

Brands like TT/Grey Ghost, and AWS are solid, "blue-collar" brands that are dependable and moderately priced.  They will get you into the game.  The Gucci brands are worth it to get the extra features, such as lighter weight.
View Quote
Thanks for the insight!
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 7:59:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you read the link? 3 levels, .25 ACP, 9mm @ 1100 FPS, 9mm @ 1400 FPS. No damage to the .5mm plate underneath. No .44 mag. They're rated, I, IIA, and II. If you look at the CVC it's got two ratings, one equivalent to IIA and one equivalent to II. The mil standard is the same testing omitting the I. While most people understand the meaning there are differences, they're not big differences but they're there. For example the UK has their own specs for everything, their III is called RF1. While nearly identical a plate that meets one may not meet the other. For me, as someone who sells the stuff, it's on me to make sure that my customer has absolutely every bit of info possible before they make their decision.
View Quote
Did you read my post? Yes, I am quite familiar with NIJ helmet testing protocols. I am quite familiar with Revision Viper A1 and A3 helmets. I set up an order for them for my department. The LE model and military model helmets are the exact same helmet. The rating does not matter. The LE helmet stops .44 mag rounds from penetrating and was tested with additional testing beyond NIJ to do so. The next batch of helmets off the line will get military testing and the end user pays for that testing and gets An A1 helmet. They don't take helmets that failed the military testing and sell them to LE. I don't see what you are going on about. It is quite common to call things other than what the official term is, like III+ which is not an NIJ rating, or a IIIA helmet which is not an NIJ rating. Those items get the helmet certification and level III testing certification for the respective type of item (helmet or plate) but had additional tests, from the same lab to defeat other specific threats and thus are commonly called something else by the general end using public.

After typing this I see they have just now stopped production of the A1 series US military Viper helmets made of Kevlar. That makes sense since the only people who would buy them are the military... considering the law enforcement and civilian buyers could save money buying the A3 BECAUSE IT WAS THE SAME HELMET. Now they only sell UHMWPE helmets with military testing... which do not stop any higher threats by the way, they just stop the same threats at a lighter weight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]
While I can't speak to that brand...I had a salesman for another company offer me a super deal for some ACHs that failed DOD certification but met NIJ requirements.

They were marketed as "LE" models.

It does happen.  It happens in every industry.  Do you think AR parts that fail some basic portion of Mil Spec are simply melted down into scrap?  No...they are sold on the commercial side, assuming they are safe to use.  

It's business.  They are not going to throw away anything that can be sold.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]
OK I have no dog in this fight, but, having worked in the industry, I have seen there is a big difference in what is supposed to be done, and sometimes what actually gets done.  When you say that the same helmet (or parts or whatever) come off the line and one gets a mil-spec cert, and one doesn't, that is entirely true; one might sell for x amount, and the other double that because of the added QC.  And when you say that parts that don't pass inspection, which should get destroyed, but in reality are recycled, yeah, that also happens.  Both cases aren't mutually exclusive.  It comes down to the vendor and who you can trust, versus some sheister trying to pull a fast one.  I've seen some outrageous shit within the industry.  The company I used to work for sold off all their crap to Sarco.  Yeah.

So in the end, you have to get down to specific instances, of what actually happened to the lot of gear you are talking about.  Arguing about what happen in this instance or that, while true, may have nothing to do with the issue at hand.      

I would trust my life to a helmet I buy from TNVC, because I have bought stuff from them over the years and trust them to sell me a legit product.  If you buy a cut-rate helmet from some vendor on ebay, yeah, you might be buying seconds, or whatever. I honestly believe the only issue here is weight.  I will have a 2-3 lb helmet because that's the price point I'm coming in at.  Will I want a 1lb helmet later on? Probably.

With the Revision A3 you are basically buying circa 2010 technology at a discount price these days.  This was state of the art, until someone decided, hey we need to lighten these motherfuckers up.  You have to pay for that, until we get the next gen.

So yeah, to the OP, do you cheap out or spend the money.  As long as you buy from reputable vendor, you can buy the last gen gear, for less, but it won't be as light or perhaps as capable.  Or you can buy the latest gen gear and get all the latest attributes, for a price.   Personally, I'm ok with having the last gen stuff, in my particular situation.  But lots of guys want the latest gen stuff, for a variety of reasons.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
There are already two levels of UHMWPE used in Ops-Core helmets. The maritime ultra high cuts use a different form of UHMWPE and cost more, while being even lighter and thinner than older Ops-Core helmets. Still protects against the same threats as the old Kevlar MICH/ACH.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:55:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Plus they have such cache because they're "maritime" helmets.  Some guys would buy them even if they were heavier.  Let's be honest here.  The industry is largely driven by the fanboys, the airsofters, the milsim guys, etc.  The amount of civilians buying this stuff for actual use (or potential use) is minuscule compared to this segment.  I don't say that with a snark, it's simply the reality of the sit.  All these guys are paying the freight for those like me to be able to buy this stuff commercially so I'm not gonna bang on them.  When you come onto a site like this and ask guys what kit they'd buy, you get a wide spectrum of replies, depending on what each guy is up to.  Some want to build the exact load out that DevGru would have.  Some want state of the art gear.  Some want airsofter quality.  Some are actually in the trade, as mil, LEO, or contractors.  Some are into competitions or dress-up games.  Whatever the case may be, you're gonna get a shit-load of different answers.  That's why I've always thought it's best to preface your posts with your mission statement about what you're actually gonna use this stuff for.  That's why I always say here's what I'm using it for so you have a frame of reference.

These things can really get out in the weeds sometimes with various competing mission statements driving the narrative.  Then we get into arguments about what spec is what and down the rabbit hole we go.  I learn a lot from those threads but good lord.    

I think it's obvious from the wide spectrum of replies here that you can go with cheap airsofter stuff, that gives you the look for less money; then you have legit kit, that is older gen stuff, but you can get for decent prices, then you have state of the art legit kit, which you pay a premium for.  The trick is to know which brands fit into which category.  From all the slick marketing it can be difficult to sort out.  There are legit vendors who keep low profiles and quietly sell the real stuff.  There are big phonies that spend a shit-load on advertising and marketing that sell marginal quality kit.  The next step would be to decide which category really fits your needs.  And then say fuggit, I want the Gucci gear.  Or seriously, then buy your kit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:18:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Seems to have side-tracked into helmet discussion, but my $0.02 for the armor:

I got cheap Level IV ceramic.  About $300 for 2 plates and a carrier.

If you are LE/Military and will be wearing it often, comfort is paramount.

If you are civilian and want something on hand in case of a riot etc, and plan on just using it for home defense (not hiking distances etc), the comfort isn't as big an issue.

One day I may save up and get triple curve, ultralight IV with a top of the line carrier, but realistically this is something that will sit beside my safe and likely (hopefully) never be used.

I would pay more for IV rather than III since there is a LOT of 'surplus' XM855 out there.  I doubt a rioter/home invader/mass shooter will choose that to specifically defeat armor, but a good chance they may be using because it is what they had at hand.

More money gets you more comfort, but not more protection.  As posted above, there are other, more useful, things to spend the extra money on.

ETA: I got the HighCom R.A.K. on sale.  It was around $300 or $350 (on sale) with the IV ceramic.  They are $457 now.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Good points.  With the mission driving the gear (took us what two pages to get to that) you decide what you can live with.  This is a very pragmatic approach.  And what I also recommend.  But there are many other factors that go into the selection process.  Style points.  Image.  What's popular.  Price.  Marketing is very powerful stuff.  We are being bombarded with it 24/7.  Go to the SHOT Show and look at the latest kit.  You will see slick booths, surrounded by confident looking dudes, and feel the buzz surrounding the products.  Then you will see all the reviews on line.  Then all the threads discussing them.  Not to mention all the slick print advertising.  It's just natural that you want to be a part of the tribe.  You buy based on all the images you've been bombarded with.  

One slight problem.  This may, or may not be what you actually need, or even more to the point, what actually works.  This is the double-edged sword of the (over) information age.  

Or, it may not even matter, since you are just doing some sort of hobby and the image is more important than the use.  

Oy Vey.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:45:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the insight fellas.

Seriously, like I mentioned in my op, this kit would rarely be used. More bedside use than anything else. Hence why I figured it May be worth it to go balls to the wall...

But on the other hand, I like having the idea if I ever took certain classes or had to wear it for a while, light and multicurve would be the bees knees.

I do have a d3crx chest rig with a flat pack that I use and a ronin tactics warrior belt.

As far as helmets, it would used for night vision. I'm picky when it comes to comfort and my head is large. So I definitely want comfort out of that and if that requires money, I'll make it happen...but I'm also not kicking in doors.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I like your honesty, OP; you're laying out your requirements and seeking advice on your options.  It's like any other activity that's gear-heavy; you pick out your entry-level gear and try to match your needs, with maybe a little room to grow as you gain experience.  If you find you're really getting into it, then you might end up selling off your gear and upgrading to more capable stuff.  That's the usual pathway you see, whether it's jumping, diving, climbing, or whatever.  The only difference in our case is there is a big segment of folks that only want the image of doing the activity, or just collect the gear, not necessarily the real equipment to do it.  So that really muddies the waters.  

I like a middle of the road approach, because I want fairly capable gear but not the big investment until I fully commit or afford it.

Did not mean to open a can of worms on helmets n such but it sounds like you're going there as well, so skip-diddly-doo.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I like your honesty, OP; you're laying out your requirements and seeking advice on your options.  It's like any other activity that's gear-heavy; you pick out your entry-level gear and try to match your needs, with maybe a little room to grow as you gain experience.  If you find you're really getting into it, then you might end up selling off your gear and upgrading to more capable stuff.  That's the usual pathway you see, whether it's jumping, diving, climbing, or whatever.  The only difference in our case is there is a big segment of folks that only want the image of doing the activity, or just collect the gear, not necessarily the real equipment to do it.  So that really muddies the waters.  

I like a middle of the road approach, because I want fairly capable gear but not the big investment until I fully commit or afford it.

Did not mean to open a can of worms on helmets n such but it sounds like you're going there as well, so skip-diddly-doo.
View Quote
I gotta learn somewhere lol
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:47:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Spend the $ unless you can't afford bread & milk.
Simple truth for everything. XD
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top