Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2017 5:01:17 PM EDT
Anyone use Steel Ops plates/carrier or have an opinion on them?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess it's the same as any other AR500 steel plate. Will stop .308 and green tip, but not M193. That's how steel plates are. I would never use steel unless I didn't have anything else. I'm biased though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't speak for Steel Ops gear, but AR500 brand level III+ will stop M193. Yes, it's heavy, and yes, you need to buy the full coating package to mitigate spall. But it does work. Get the best plates your budget will allow, steel or ceramic. I would not buy any type of level III plates from any manufacturer, only III+ or above. Do your research, watch YouTube test videos, preferably independently made ones.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't speak for Steel Ops gear, but AR500 brand level III+ will stop M193. Yes, it's heavy, and yes, you need to buy the full coating package to mitigate spall. But it does work. Get the best plates your budget will allow, steel or ceramic. I would not buy any type of level III plates from any manufacturer, only III+ or above. Do your research, watch YouTube test videos, preferably independently made ones.
View Quote
III+ is a poor term, since it's not an official NIJ rating it can mean anything the manufacturer wants it to be. This company uses level III+ to be because it's level III + M855.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
III+ is a poor term, since it's not an official NIJ rating it can mean anything the manufacturer wants it to be. This company uses level III+ to be because it's level III + M855.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're right, and I should have been more clear about the unofficial nature of the manufacturer's designation. Thank you for clarifying where I failed to. However, AR500 brand III+ does stop M193. Which, while I own a few of those plates, is not an absolute endorsement as them being THE solution.

When I bought them, they were what I could afford and they offered an acceptable amount of protection against the threats I felt were most likely to be encountered in an EOW situation based on the popularity of the AR15 platform and the American public's affinity for whatever the .mil uses.

FWIW, quality ceramics are next on my list. I'm still going to keep my steel as backups, because I expect them to be useful as long as I'm alive.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You're right, and I should have been more clear about the unofficial nature of the manufacturer's designation. Thank you for clarifying where I failed to. However, AR500 brand III+ does stop M193. Which, while I own a few of those plates, is not an absolute endorsement as them being THE solution.

When I bought them, they were what I could afford and they offered an acceptable amount of protection against the threats I felt were most likely to be encountered in an EOW situation based on the popularity of the AR15 platform and the American public's affinity for whatever the .mil uses.

FWIW, quality ceramics are next on my list. I'm still going to keep my steel as backups, because I expect them to be useful as long as I'm alive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whenever you're ready you can teach me at [email protected] I have a discount for ar15comers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Whenever you're ready you can teach me at [email protected] I have a discount for ar15comers.
View Quote
A discount on what?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Plates, I sell ceramic and PE armor. Police surplus stuff, level III and IV most are around 125 per plate.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:23:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone use Steel Ops plates/carrier or have an opinion on them?
View Quote

Back on topic, the Steel Ops plate carriers are actually Condor plate carriers. The only ones I can speak to from personal experience is the MOPC and Sentry.

The MOPC is a "one size fits XXXXXXL". If you aren't running XL plates (because anything smaller can't be secured with that dumb strap), don't buy one. If your less than 40" around, don't buy one (because there isn't enough adjustment in the cummerbund to make it fit). Stitching is very hit-or-miss; unless you can personally inspect it, I'd avoid them. The materials are generally the cheapest nylon (frequently athletic stuff) they could find.

The Sentry has the same stitching and material problems as the MOPC.

At the end of the day, you get what you pay for. Most decent carriers cost about twice as much ($220+/-10% for cummerbund carriers, $110+/- for non-cummerbund carriers) so if your on a REALLY tight budget the Condor stuff beats being naked...mostly...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top