Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2017 6:41:47 AM EDT
So I'm in need of a good plate carrier that good enough to take a beating and not fall apart.
So far I've been looking at the following.

FirstSpear Strandhögg
Crye precision JPG
London Bridge Trading modular plate carrier
Tyr pico ds

If like to stick around the $400 price mark cheaper would be even better.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:11:54 AM EDT
[#1]
My only advice...less is more.  Minimalist is best...bulk is worst.

Thin, light, clean, trim.  

Crye JPC is hard to beat if it's in your price range.  

Frankly...the plate carrier is the easy part.  The plates are $$$
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Frankly...the plate carrier is the easy part.  The plates are $$
View Quote
Yeah I have a feeling it's going to be a pain shopping around for decent plates without breaking the bank.
And I keep hearing good things about the JPC. I wish there was a physical store that had tons of different plate carriers to check out and try on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 7:48:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Check EE for good deals...

I've used Shellback Tactical and HSGI and like both.

Buy quality plates NOT AR500
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:08:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Crye AVS is legit.

Or the JPC if thats more your thing
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:20:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Strandhogg is pretty awesome. Super light weight, small, but still has enough room. I used to use a 6094 and was happy with it but the First Spear offering is top notch.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Frankly...the plate carrier is the easy part.  The plates are $
View Quote
FedDC is on point as usual - minimalist is the way to go. A plate carrier is just that - carrying plates. All that extra fabric is just giving you a false sense of security and dead weight. You're looking at quality stuff. Another minimalist choice you may want to consider is the Velocity Systems Scarab.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 10:30:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:24:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Frankly...the plate carrier is the easy part.  The plates are $$
View Quote
This.

Get the Crye.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:14:16 PM EDT
[#9]
On the cheaper side, there's the Mayflower APC. I just got one based on all the good reviews I found on it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Ferro concepts slickster is pretty sweet but it fills a more specific niche.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:00:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an SKD Pig and I like it but sometimes it's a little too bulky for me.

I've lately been using the Grey Ghost Gear Minimalist carriers. I do quite enjoy the added mobility from the lightweight stuff.

Of course anything Crye is going to be great as well.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:04:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Sign up for emails from LBT/LBX. They have sales all the time. Grabbed my 6940 (I think that's the number) for 50% off. It was a weekend flash type sale. Also Mayflower APC's are very good and around $250.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread is relevant to my interests. What about the Esstac Daeodon?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Scarab light, I'm so happy with mine, but also I'm a nobody so don't listen to me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#15]
SKD PIG fits all your  criteria and I think it's the most comfortable out of them all
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:15:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Man theres slot of options here. I got some reading to do. Also who sells decent plates that aren't ar500.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Velocity.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Man theres slot of options here. I got some reading to do. Also who sells decent plates that aren't ar500.
View Quote
Off the top of my head ATarmor, midwest armor, Highcom Security.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
High com, Hesco, Point blank under Paraclete, RMA but I don't like tile array plates, AT armor, SKD has some good ones, Shellback sells reskinned RMAs, AR500 sells reskinned Hescos.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ferro concepts slickster is pretty sweet but it fills a more specific niche.
View Quote
I agree
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:07:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

High com, Hesco, Point blank under Paraclete, RMA but I don't like tile array plates, AT armor, SKD has some good ones, Shellback sells reskinned RMAs, AR500 sells reskinned Hescos.
View Quote
What do you mean by reskinned?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They take the RMA product, and have a custom nylon wrapper on them. The model number is the same, the weight and curve is the same. If you had two in your hands they would be identical except the cover is different. They're made specially for the companies to sell with their stuff.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#23]
How often does SKD run sales?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:00:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
How often does SKD run sales?
View Quote
they run good sales about 6 or so times a year. I bought my PIG when it was 17% off. They do go up to 25% off but that does not happen a lot
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:51:48 AM EDT
[#26]
My advice is to buy plates first. Buy the size that fits you best. Some people need SAPI Large, some SAPI Medium, (SAPI is a very standardised milspec cut) others a 10x12 (a non standardized commercial size for people wide enough to need SAPI Large but too short to fit SAPI Large).

Make sure you buy multicurved, not single curved plates. Multicurved is many times more comfortable.

If you will wear the plates without soft armor at any time get stand alone, not in conjunction with plates. Stand alone plates have a nice padded rear face for comfort that some ICW plates lack.

Then when you have your plates, BUY A CARRIER THAT FITS YOUR PLATE. Some carriers are cut for 10x12, some for one size of SAPI cut, others for one size swimmer cut (a cut I belive removes too much area for 99% of users).

I prefer a minimalist design and unencumbered shoulder pocket... no thick padding or buckle on shoulder, preferably just hypalon or webbing between shoulder pad and plate bag.

All other features are optional and based on preferences. For instance I hate the PIG because all the padding and excess material makes it super hot and I live on the Gulf coast. I like very vented designs like the JPC, Ronin, etc. Due to heat and humidity. I personally have no need to swap chest or back panels for different missions, so that is wasted weight and money for me, but essential for someone else.

Some designs use soft armor and plates... others are just plate carriers. Soft armor plus plates is very heavy and hot but is what some people want/need. This should also be decided in advance, but don't buy soft armor first, get plates, then carrier, then soft armor.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#27]
That is good advice.

One thing on plates-

Swimmer Cut is best cut.

Plates are minimal coverage at best and you need to be able to wear the carrier high, over your aorta on top of your heart.  That's high...it makes it difficult to shoot a pistol two handed if your plates are too wide.

If plates come in "long" sizes or lengths (usually they don't), longer is better as it gets down to cover your liver which is rather fragile and hard to fix.  

My ideal plate size is a Large/Long in swimmer cut.  

Then, if we are talking perfect world...a lot of Euro SOF have adopted a square back plate and their carriers allow plate bags in various sizes as your back plate should ideally be 1 size larger than your front plate...rear plate sits lower, doesn't cover upper back well.  The shape of the rear plate would ideally be roughly squareish and larger.  

Yet...US armor assumes same/same size and shape for front and back.  This will change one day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:31:11 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't disagree enough on plate shape and size. Swimmer cut removes too much coverage right where you need it for essentially no reason (if you are not a swimmer). Longer plates are bad. They dont let you bend over at the waist, cause the bottom of the plate into crash into the tops of pistol mags, retain excess heat, add excess weight, and decrease your effectiveness. SAPI is plenty long. The shape and size was cteated for a reason, not randomly. Plates are a balance of speed and protection... lean to heavily on covering up and you become less effective. If there was a better shape it would be the Crye plates that have extended side torso coverage but, again, no choices on plate carriers if you use a nonstandard shape/size.

I wear a SAPI Large at 6'2" and I not a large frame guy. People think it looks comically small due to my use of a JPC. Other carriers just have wasted fabric space to "look" like there is more coverage. I don't need LESS coverage on my front upper torso.

A propperly fit plate in SAPI cut allows you to shoot ISO pistol, no problem. You can shoulder your rifle right into the shoulder pocket with no plate interference at all. If you can't shoot ISO pistol it's a clue your plate is too big, not that you need swimmer cut plates.

Larger rear plate? No way. Show me the carrier that uses different sized front and rear bags that does not have modular plate bags. No availability. I suggest SAPI as a first choice on shape due to consistency, availability, and fit with 10x12 as a second choice. Square plates are not usually multicurved. Square plates are usually the crappiest and cheapest around. Good luck finding quality square rear plates multicurved and a carrier to match. All the high end carrier manufacturers standardise on SAPI shape and fir good reason.

Also, the concept of moving armor coverage from the front (Swimmer cut) to add it to the rear (Square cut) just baffles me. You say this is a European concept? This must have originated as a French concept I would assume?

While custom front and rear shapes mapped to the end user like a tailored suit would be ideal it is not a practical or realist suggestion to an inexperienced user looking for guidance.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I can't disagree enough on plate shape and size.
View Quote
I agree, swimmer cut seems silly to me. Cutting so much off the chest in the front, where I figure I'm most likely to be hit, is reducing already limited coverage. It's worth noting that SAPIs go from XS which is 7.5x11 to XL 11x14. In the civilian world 10x12 is standard because it's a nice round number and between SAPI M and L. I have seen back plates that are nice MC square, and some 8x10s are square because they already cover so little, but the standard 45 degree SAPI cut seems like the best to me. Those square back plates usually come police surplus, the military usually has nicer stuff. Frankly I'm not sure that swimmer cut wasn't an invention of the steel armor companies for a lightweight cut. Most PCs are made for SAPI cut, and won't hold squares at all.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:25:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Can you form a correct 2 handed pistol grip in a DOD sized ESAPI?  

I can't.  

I even went through the magic size test with the fitting vest and whatnot at a fwd deployment center...my official ESAPI size is XL Reg.  

They fit great...as long as I'm standing in a neutral stance.  If I try to shoot, my arms are touching both sides of the plate and I have to bend my elbows to form a standard firing grip on a pistol...the wrong way to do it.  

I downsized to a L reg and it is better but still there.  A swimmers cut plate solved it.  I'm 6'4...so in reality, reg length plates don't cover my liver which they should.  

A long front plate should never touch your mags unless you have a 20 inch waistline.  Mags go on the side, front stays clean for mobility or gets a TQ horizontal on the belt.  

Personal view...DOD's armor (ESAPI and vest) are really dated tech.  They worked hard to build it and deserve commendation for how much they put into body armor...but it is way too thick, too heavy, and sized all wrong.  There are better shapes out there IMO and better ways to carry it closer to your body.  If you look at what JSOC units run and compare it to the big army plate carriers...vastly different.  

All this is assuming you are trying to follow this diagram:  

Armor
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:57:18 AM EDT
[#31]
I deployed with a PIG, and while it was definitely hot (so would anything else have been in 130 degree heat) it was still comfortable enough and durable as all hell. I just upgraded to a Crye AVS, and when I switch between it and the PIG I can feel the world of difference in both comfort and support for the plates. The AVS is the best, most comfortable plate/armor carrier that I've ever worn by far.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#32]
What's a good company to get swimmers cut plates from? Also I'm a very broad shoulder guy I'm 6 foot 250lbs.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:19:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Optactical exclusive Velocity Systems LWPC with the molle rear.

http://www.optactical.com/vesyliweplca.html
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I can't.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can't.  

I'm guessing you're a tall skinny guy? I'm 5 foot 9 165 and I can get a proper grip with SAPI larges if I have to even though I'm a medium.

Quoted:
What's a good company to get swimmers cut plates from? Also I'm a very broad shoulder guy I'm 6 foot 250lbs.
If you're only interested in swimmer, Iweapons makes some also there's a sale on SKD right now https://www.skdtac.com/Ferro-Concepts-Slickster-SKD-10x12-Plate-SKD-10-p/fer.910.htm
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm guessing you're a tall skinny guy? I'm 5 foot 9 165 and I can get a proper grip with SAPI larges if I have to even though I'm a medium.

If you're only interested in swimmer, Iweapons makes some also there's a sale on SKD right now https://www.skdtac.com/Ferro-Concepts-Slickster-SKD-10x12-Plate-SKD-10-p/fer.910.htm
View Quote
I was also looking at the shooters cut too. I'm liking the idea of plates that give me a better range of motion.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Shooters cut > swimmer cut. Any reputable company has some kind of shooter cut. Swimmer just takes too much off the front. My experience is that most companies have their standard shooter cut at whatever angle, and the swimmer cut, if they have that option, is just more taken off. Steel armor companies do this to have a lighter plate, they often take some off the bottom corners too. Ceramics which are already lighter don't need to cheat to have lighter plates. Just don't buy CTA style plates and get plates with either a thermocompressed PE or kevlar backing built into the plate. Even most ICW plates have this. Good ICW plates only need soft armor for BFD, not for fragment protection.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#37]
I have the PIG by SKD and I like it, I find it more comfortable than my buddy's velocity scarab. The APC is nice too. The velocity and apc both have the chest rig clips so if you want a Haley strategic or mayflower uw chest rig it clips in. Sometimes I think that's the way to go other days I rather run all my stuff attached to my PIG PC. I just run my PIG UCR chest rig over my PIG PC. The crye is super light weight and very very minimalist. Is this for work or for funs?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm 511, 220. These plates are large SAPIs

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I can't.  

I even went through the magic size test with the fitting vest and whatnot at a fwd deployment center...my official ESAPI size is XL Reg.  

They fit great...as long as I'm standing in a neutral stance.  If I try to shoot, my arms are touching both sides of the plate and I have to bend my elbows to form a standard firing grip on a pistol...the wrong way to do it.  

I downsized to a L reg and it is better but still there.  A swimmers cut plate solved it.  I'm 6'4...so in reality, reg length plates don't cover my liver which they should.  

A long front plate should never touch your mags unless you have a 20 inch waistline.  Mags go on the side, front stays clean for mobility or gets a TQ horizontal on the belt.  

Personal view...DOD's armor (ESAPI and vest) are really dated tech.  They worked hard to build it and deserve commendation for how much they put into body armor...but it is way too thick, too heavy, and sized all wrong.  There are better shapes out there IMO and better ways to carry it closer to your body.  If you look at what JSOC units run and compare it to the big army plate carriers...vastly different.  

Armor
View Quote
I'm not talking about soft armor carrier at all, just a plate carrier, in my case a JPC. With a Large SAPI, yes everything is easy.

I don't wear my armor exactly as that diagram shows because it does not work well placed that high. If I look down and reach overhead my plates choke me if exactly at the sternal notch... that is any sized plate. I must wear 1 inch lower. At that point my plate presses to my throat but does not choke me.

You need a plate that is wider than your nipples. It should be the smallest plate that does not leave your nipples uncovered. That means nipples, not like the diagram where the entire areola plus some extra skin is coveted
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:29:33 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I can't.  

Armor
View Quote
I'm not talking about IOTV, just a plate carrier, in my case a JPC. With a Large SAPI, yes everything is easy. Pistol, rifle, anything. With XL SAPI you must be a monster, like 6'5"+ and 250+ I assume no just 6'4" which is only the correct size if you ate a shortegged guy. My Lt. wears XL and he is 6'7" and 280. SAPI L is on the raged edge for me at 6'2" and 225, almost too big.

I don't wear my armor exactly as that diagram shows because it does not work well placed that high or sized like that. If that is how military sizing is selecting plate size, that is why you cant shoot with a SAPI.

If I look down and reach overhead my plates choke me if exactly at or above the sternal notch... that is any sized plate. I must wear a half to 1 inch lower. At that point my plate presses to my throat but does not choke me if I reach overhead and look down.

You need a plate that is wider than your nipples. It should be the smallest plate that does not leave your nipples uncovered. That means nipples, not like the diagram where the entire areola plus some extra skin is covered. That plate is too wide for the person in the diagram. It is a bad diagram IMO. It is not realistic, at least not for me, or anyone I know.

As for plate hitting pistol mags not happening... I guess no one ever turns their torso on your planet? Because all I need to do is turn slightly weak side and bend over and any longer of a plate would hit my pistol mags. I can't run extended base plates for that reason also. My SAPI L is already 3/4 longer than my 10x12  before it.

Also on liver coverage... even the diagram where the guy is wearing too large a plate too high that everyone points to as the proper size and location for a plate, that guy has liver exposure on the right side. If you did not have liver exposure your plate would not let you bend over. Your plate should go no lower than your natural bending point of the waist so as to not interfere with your movement.

For anyone considering a plate size, I'd suggest buying a plastic airsoft SAPI plate and see how it fits you. They are very close to how a real plate will fit and cost very little. I initially thought a swimmer cut would be a good idea too, until I started wearing armor of different cuts and sizes. I also believe that diagram, which is too high and oversized,  leads people toward swimmer cuts that should be wearing SAPI cuts, which is most people. I find most shooter cuts or civilian 10x12 cuts start the cover cut at the top WIDER than SAPI. That means a narrower shooter cut plate can often fit worse for a narrow shouldered guy than a SAPI. This was true in my case with AR500 shooter cut plates, which in addition to fitting poorly in my carrier due to angle position, being heavy, hurting if they hit your skull when throwing on, and only being single curve, creating a cape flap thing going on at the back of the carrier, made it harder to shoot ISO pistol and shoulder a rifle. Being thin is worthless if hard steel plate is between your stock and shoulder pocket.

Again, if your SAPI plate interfered with bending, reaching, shooting, or anything else, it is likely too big, not the wrong cut. Plus wear it just a hair under the notch so you don't choke yourself. You should be abe to do twisting sit ups in full gear like you are Rocky, no problem. If not, too big a plate.

FedDC, you probably need a SAPI L. If you were wearing it at collar bone or sternal notch, lowering it 1/2 " or so will cover as low as XL, worn high, plus let you shoot. I If I put my plate up to my bare chest, the outter edge of my areola is just visible. Any wider and I would have all kinds of issues like you.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 2:15:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Been running this system for a while now and it's spooky light and tough.
Eliminates the PC all together.

VS/Mayflower Tactical back panel, front plate sleeve and the Mayflower or compatible chest rig of your choice.

Great air movement on hot days, less to dry out after rain or going for a swim, less nylon to carry and clean. In all it replaces the combo of hydro pouch, rear plate carrier, front plate carrier, cummerbund and pouches/chest rig. Very streamlined and efficient. Dropped roughly 4 lbs off my prior set up. The only reason that I am holding on to my old PC at this point is for when working around breaching charges as side armor is required.

Mayflower/ Velocity Systems quality and durability.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:40:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Starting at noon EST today, LBT is having a sale. The 6094 looks to be $250, though I'm not sure all of the colors they will offer. I'd guess Tan 499 and Multicam at a minimum.

ETA: http://lbtinc.com/afd17?limit=all
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Dat woodland yo
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 6:10:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Starting at noon EST today, LBT is having a sale. The 6094 looks to be $250, though I'm not sure all of the colors they will offer. I'd guess Tan 499 and Multicam at a minimum.

ETA: http://lbtinc.com/afd17?limit=all
View Quote
Thanks for the link. Grabbed one in CB. May replace my APC. At this price, it's a no brainer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 7:55:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yeah I have a feeling it's going to be a pain shopping around for decent plates without breaking the bank.
And I keep hearing good things about the JPC. I wish there was a physical store that had tons of different plate carriers to check out and try on.
View Quote
Check highcomsecurity.com and midwestarmor.com for plates. Highcom will require you send them a blood sample and the SSN of your first born child (kidding, but they really do need ID and birth certificate/passport) while Midwest Armor doesn't require any documentation.  

ETA: Highcom is running 20% off everything through tomorrow (20 May) using code SUPPORTBLUE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top