Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2017 11:34:59 AM EDT
I started off with a Condor triple shingle then to a Esstac triple shingle then an HSGI TACO triple shingle and now back to the Esstac kywi.

But I'm interested in the flexibility of the TACO.  What didn't work for me is that there aren't enough PALS channels on the back to mount it where I want to and to mount anything on the front is next to impossible with the shock cording taking up all the room.

Having seen just one mention of the Emdom universal stuff I went to the website which had a neat video talking about all the features.

So who uses the Emdom stuff and what do you think?
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:31:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm probably in the minority here, but I am not a big fan of HSGI Tacos. I do love their other products, so that is nothing against the company. I just don't like bungee cord on things I need to retain in a life or death situation. That said, on my last contract in Kabul, I saw a bunch of ODA guys that were using the Tacos running around NKC, and they liked them.

I just gave up on finding the ultimate solution for multiple magazine sizes. I know have identical belt and chest rig setups for each caliber I have. Of course, I don't use those big warbelts with 3 magazines each of rifle and pistol mags, either. Not do I have multiple body armor setups. I use a plain, basic duty belt with a Safariland 6378 and 1 rifle and 1 pistol magazine pouch (if that...most times I don't put pouches on my belt). I use a slick plate carrier underneath my SOE Micro rigs set up for each caliber (7.62, AK, 5.56) that go on top, so it's not unfeasible for me financially. I doubt I'd buy plates for and set up 3 different plate carriers for each caliber of magazine.

Edit to actually answer your question: I like Emdom and their pouches. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have Tactical Tailor universal mag pouches. They hold just about anything.

No bungees or straps but they do have flaps. They are not as high speed as something like Tacos.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used and do use some EMDOM immediate access pouches.  I've had their 6o4 pistol pouches, a hippie panel, and recently got their TnT GyM bag.  
With the exception of a couple items all were ordered straight from EMDOM.  
Here's my breakdown

1. They have some really neat designs and do function really well and have been reliable for me
2. Despite the name all of their stuff in made in China
3. When USPS flubbed up a delivery and returned it to EMDOM my customer service experience with them was lack luster at best.

I'll be slowly phasing out my EMDOM stuff for ESSTAC stuff that's made in the USA (in my state even).
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I used emdom universal rifle pouches for a time. In my experience, they're good with 556 mags but too tight with 762 'merica mags. I do like the pistol universal pouches however, they work well with single stack up to G21 mags.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:48:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've used and do use some EMDOM immediate access pouches.  I've had their 6o4 pistol pouches, a hippie panel, and recently got their TnT GyM bag.  
With the exception of a couple items all were ordered straight from EMDOM.  
Here's my breakdown

1. They have some really neat designs and do function really well and have been reliable for me
2. Despite the name all of their stuff in made in China
3. When USPS flubbed up a delivery and returned it to EMDOM my customer service experience with them was lack luster at best.

I'll be slowly phasing out my EMDOM stuff for ESSTAC stuff that's made in the USA (in my state even).
View Quote
Well I'll be doggoned....I didn't know that. It's some well-made stuff, despite that nasty fact.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have yet to see a "Universal" device that did a better job than a purpose-designed item.  If this means that one has to buy seperate 5.56 and AK and 7.62 NATO rifle mag pouches, then so be it.

Life is too short for bad compromises, especially when good purpose-made gear is plentiful and fairly cheap.

And I DO NOT like pouches that use either elastic or bungee cord.  Both wear out eventually.

FWIW, I never use double-stack pouches, as such are too-high profile.  All my mag pouches are single-cell, and none of them have any elastic.
View Quote
I knew there was a reason I always liked you....
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Emdom are the best multipurpose mag pouches made IMO. They outlast Esstac KYWI, HSGI TACO, and anything else I have tried. They don't have crap hanging off, put a nice angle on the mag, and offer the best balance of ease of insertion and positive retention I have found. They are the only pouch that can hold 2 AR mags in one pouch and allow you to pull one and hold the other perfectly secure. The pistol pouches do the same with single stack 1911 mags. Also the best Surefire quad stack holder I have found. It's also the best radio holder I have found, provided you have protected buttons.

Negatives are long lead times, high cost, no double pistol option, and slow to adjust. Also no low cut option like Esstac KYWI short AR pouches for 20 rounders. They are the best full capacity mag pouches made and all the Emdom stuff is top notch quality.

To the guy swapping Emdom for Esstac... hit me up if it's multicam. I have lots of Esstac to trade if you have Emdom universals.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll be the second person to to not the biggest fan of HSGI Taco magazine pouches. They are well built but I find if you use them daily the shock cord wears out. I was running the extended pistol Taco with an ASP up until I realized I never use the ASP.

On my vest I have 2x EMDOM IAP pouches(one holds a 6P sized light, the other a Leatherman Supertool), 1x EMDOM Universal Pistol Pouch(holds 1 Glock mag), and a double ESSTAC KYWI(2 Glock mags). The KYWI has been on there for a long time and has held up great. The KYWI inserts are just starting to wear after nearly 3 years of service. The exterior of the pouch still looks new. The EMDOM Pouches are still relatively new but they've done what I asked and seem well built. I really like the universal pistol pouch but time will tell how well the shock cord holds up in their configuration. I only ended up with the EMDOM universal pouch because I was ordering the IAP pouches for the light and Supertool and wanted to add a third magazine to my gear. If I had ordered from somewhere with a single KYWI in stock I would have just got one of those.

So to sum it, in my opinion(from daily use), the KYWI is the best pistol pouch available with the exception of if you use it with Glock mags don't expect the Kydex to retain anything but Glock mags after a while.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 12:19:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I find that if stored in your vehicle with heat, the Kydex of Esstac KYWI gives and needs annual reforming. That is a bigger pain in the ass than a slight bungee tightening on an Emdom. I think the bungee of the HSGI is of lower quality than Emdom and it requires quite a bit more tightening, but its easier to do. Wear of the actual Kydex has not been an issue for me... its the loss of shape.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#11]
My EDOM IAP pistol pouches are about 3 years old, they have lost most of their elasticity and will not hold a loaded M9 or Glock 17 mag if my belt is shaken or held upside down.  Get the tacos or check out my favorite;  ITW Fastmags.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:02:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I find that if stored in your vehicle with heat, the Kydex of Esstac KYWI gives and needs annual reforming. That is a bigger pain in the ass than a slight bungee tightening on an Emdom. I think the bungee of the HSGI is of lower quality than Emdom and it requires quite a bit more tightening, but its easier to do. Wear of the actual Kydex has not been an issue for me... its the loss of shape.
View Quote
I find that the KYWI needs annual reforming if stored with mags in regardless of temperature. Still great pouches.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Just saw that Grey a Ghost has an option too.  They call it the "Accomodator". Anyone try those?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top