Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 10:56:42 AM EDT
I like gloves for several reasons, the big ones being protection against burns and scratches.

I've been reasonably happy with a pair of Mechanix gloves, specifically these:

But I'm always on the lookout for something better, perhaps with more wrist coverage.  I thought I may have found something better in the typical pilot gloves turned Inside-Out.  Yep, I-O, to get the seam on the outside.

But they're too slippery lol and still don't interact well with a touchscreen.

Whatcu gotz?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Digging mechanix fast fit here velcro always goes on the regular ones sometimes before the fingers split depending on what you use them for.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I have several pairs of the FastFit and they seem to do the job without wearing out. Yet anyway
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:12:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone I talk to who tries the Pig gloves loves them. I'm going to order them soon to compare to my mecanix mpact or whatever they are called.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:36:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got a pair of the Pig gloves and really like them. Unfortunately, this is my first pair of gloves so I have nothing to compare them too
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I started with PIG's- which are fine- but I like the Mechanix Fast Fit better.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone try the outdoor research ironsight gloves
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:02:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Very happy with my Mechanix Fastfits.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been using these for a few years now:

Youngstown General Utility Gloves

I've found them to be a little more durable than the mechanix gloves.  Dexterity is really good too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:27:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I really like my PIG gloves a lot. I've used all sorts over the years and they are the perfect balance between dexterity and protection IMO.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I couldn't make it through a single day doing construction work with Mechanix gloves.  I would wear right through the fingertips in very short order.  

I buy the Harbor Freight version.  On sale they are only $3 or $4 and I am not as butt hurt when they blow out.  I bought a stack of them and have them laying around everywhere.  

I don't have pussy soft hands, so I don't wear any gloves when I shoot or "operate" in a tacticool manner.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
The only thing I've used gloves for in the shooting environment so far is the 4-day shotgun classes I have taken at Front Sight.  After day one the first time, the Hogue overmoulded texture was really rubbing my hands raw.  I just swapped to the Hogue stock and forend before the class and didn't think about how "grippy" that stuff is compared to the standard forend.  The only gloves at had with me were my Adidas workout gloves, and they actually worked well and held up great.  The 3/4 finger design still allowed for dexterity when manipulating shot rounds for tube or port loading.  I think they were $24 at Big 5 a few years ago.

I took the class again and bought a pair of the Rapid Dominance T-42 gloves.  They were cheap, and I had already bought a few of their hats, which were of good quality.  They were $15 from opentip.com and worked well and held up well through the 4-day class. 

Are the Mechanics gloves better?  I can't say, since I haven't tried them in a class.  I prefer open finger gloves for the dexterity and feel of the trigger.  These worked well, for low cost.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Is there anything good out there that is made out of material that doesn't melt when it burns?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:57:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I couldn't make it through a single day doing construction work with Mechanix gloves.  I would wear right through the fingertips in very short order.  

I buy the Harbor Freight version.  On sale they are only $3 or $4 and I am not as butt hurt when they blow out.  I bought a stack of them and have them laying around everywhere.  

I don't have pussy soft hands, so I don't wear any gloves when I shoot or "operate" in a tacticool manner.
View Quote
I buy those same HF Gloves. For the money, they can't be beat.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there anything good out there that is made out of material that doesn't melt when it burns?
View Quote
I go thru gloves like crazy at work.  During a typical wet and cold winter I'll have 2 or 3 pair rotating up on the dash of my patrol vehicle drying out.  For the Search and Rescue side of my work the gold standard for me has been Black Diamond and Outdoor Research.  For the LE side of things, I liked the Mechanix gloves I've had but they didn't last long.  Same with flight gloves.  For wildland Fire aviation we require flame resistant or leather gloves.    

I found an ebay seller who had a ton of cheap kevlar, wrist length, padded knuckle Army combat gloves.  Maybe $15 if I remember right.  I found the size that works for me and bought a few pairs.  The construction is a little primitive, being a contract item but they hold up well.  The trigger finger is full leather so beware.  I've qualified with my pistol, rifle and shotgun without a problem but I'd hardly call them "shooting gloves."  They're also flame resistant.

Link Posted: 3/22/2017 8:49:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Mechanix are good but will wear out kinda quick if used hard. Mine all last a year tops.

I think my longest lasting/favoritegloves were a pair of leather patrol/driving/hitman(lol) style gloves I got years and years ago from a police supply store. They were expensive. Like $60 but were Kevlar lined or something like that to prevent needle punctures during searches. The leather was a good quality also. The leather ended up molding like you would expect and lasted a long time.
Badass all around glove.
I may look into the Pig next.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#16]
For flight gloves; it doesnt get any better than the Magpul Flight Gloves.  I'm still on my first set more than a year later and I've done a ton of stuff in them. Here's a review I wrote on them earlier this year: Magpul Flight Glove review
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 4:01:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Currently using PIG and Mechanix fast fit. PIG are way better... ability to have detailed touch and dexterity unmatched. Better fit than anything. But PIG gloves wear fast. I have used nomex flight gloves, Oakley, Outdoor Research,  PIG, Mechanix, Hatch, etc. over the years. Gotta give PIG the nod. Worth it to rebuy due to wear from thin material and finger stitching coming loose. Not for fast roping or rappelling either. Just enough padding on knuckles to not be bulky but protect knuckle impacts on door frames etc. Not tried the new thinner version yet.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:38:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll give the PIG Delta Utility Glove a shot.

Then magpul aviators.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 9:44:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I like the Mechanix FastFit for light duty, I've got some older Mechanix Impact gloves for heavier duty, they've held up well.
I've got some Oakley pilots gloves with CF knuckles, those never get worn, because they are loose in the fingers, tight across the palm, and pinch at the edges of the knuckle protector....

This doesn't include my Alpinestar and Dainese motorcycle gloves, but I wouldn't want to do much shooting in those
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 10:50:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Pig gloves. Mechanix are my backups.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I really, really love the PIG Alpha gloves for general use/shooting/patrol, but they do wear out after not a whole lot of hard use. I have a pair of OR Ironsights that I'll consider my primary deployment glove, and then I also have a pair of OR/Massif Overlords, which are nice but just a bit long in the fingers for me.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:56:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Another vote for the mechanix fastfit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Have or used the OR Iron Sights, Mechanic Fast Fits, Hatch, Turtle Skins as well as the SKD Pig Gloves.  The OR Iron Sights are what I am currently running with the Mechanics as my back up gloves.

The Hatch were my duty gloves and held up fairly well.  Bought 2 pair and rotated them daily.  They lasted a little over a year before the finger seems came un-stiched and split open.  But for the price I felt that I got my moneys worth.

The Turtle Skins were what I felt were pretty comfortable but a little heavy.  I purchased them for puncture protection during pat downs.  

The SKD Pig gloves are super comfortable and and I really liked the dexterity that they have.  Unfortunately, like others I have found that they seem to wear faster than the other gloves I have purchased, other than the Hatch gloves.  However, you can almost buy 2 pairs of Hatch for the price of 1 pair of the SKD Pig gloves.

So far the OR Ironsight gloves have worn the best and showed themselves to be more durable.  However they lack the dexterity of the SKD Pig Gloves as well Hatch.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#24]
I use Pig Gloves and love them. Mechanix Wear gloves get a lot of endorsement around here also.

Another option is batting or golf gloves. Great fit/dexterity and since they are sold singly, you can replace lost or damaged ones
easily and cheaply.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Ive been through countless pairs of Mechanix.  So foar the 10-12 dollar under armor batting gloves from Academy have held up the best and have the best dexterity of all. 
Link Posted: 4/2/2017 9:52:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Another vote for PIG. Ive used Mechanix and a couple other brands. IME the PIGS have been amazing, I'm on my 2nd or 3rd pair. They do wear out but I can usually get almost a year out of a pair. Really comfortable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top