Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2017 4:31:17 PM EDT
I have a choice between ordering a new style Nalgene water pouch

or

attaching my old school alice clip GI steel canteen and lined pouch...

I'm ditching the alice belt and suspenders in favor of a Micro Belt and chest rig.

I'm pretty sure I want to carry water on the belt.

Who's carryings the newer water pouches and why?

Who's carrying the older system and why?
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you actually referring to aluminum.  I never saw a steel one when I was in.  They were all plastic.
I do see that Amazon has some in stainless.
Standard quart size with canteen cup so you could heat stuff with any kind of heat source.
There was also a 2 quart size I private purchased for deployment to Desert Storm.  The advantage being shoulder strap and soft bladder.
Old style canteens I used both had valve lid for attaching drinking tube on gas mask.
You can also buy bite valve set-ups for them via aftermarket 28mm standard.

Bladder is nicer to carry than hard canteen on your body.  You need to be diligent with maintenance to keep it from becoming contaminated.  That's why Camelback has cleaning kits for theirs.  I haven't used the Camelbacks myself but saw them in use as early as 86 by MP bike patrols in Wuerzburg, GE.
They used them because the hose and valve setups allowed them to hydrate continuously taking a swallow or two at a time without having to stop the bike pull out canteen, drink, stow canteen, start moving again........
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:28:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The first iteration of my MOLLE belt had a Tactical Tailor Nalgene bottle pouch. I found a quart to be a little too big to carry and maneuver with comfortably. The TT pouch is now on my pack (where I store most of my water). My belt is currently outfitted with a BFG Ten Speed HK417 mag pouch, into which is inserted a thoroughly cleaned and spray-painted 14 oz. GNC protein shake bottle. Very handy. Good enough as a short-term water supply, or I simply refill that from the water in my pack. Easier and faster to access than a closed-top pouch, while still allowing enough retention. I can actually sit in a vehicle with the bottle like this, something that was hellaciously uncomfortable with the Nalgene.

ETA: If you like the USGI 1 qt. bottles, the Nalgene Oasis is the ultimate evolution of that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes stainless steel. I think they were issued way before the aluminum ones... Plastic screw top with a cork seal and a little chain keeper.

I replaced the aluminum one the first chance I had.

I've never needed to use it this way but the plastic GI cans and the new Nalgene Bottles can't be heated in a fire for water purification. Which is why I hesitate to get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Orca-Tactical-Bottle-Hydration-Carrier/dp/B01KN66QJO?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Does any have any experience with ITS's Skeletonized Bottle Holder: https://store.itstactical.com/its-skeletonized-bottle-holders.html

I like the versatility but worry about it flopping during vigorous activity...

I'm also concerned that getting a GI canteen in and out (mostly in) will be difficult.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a couple of pictures.

US made, 1943.

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:23:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Its
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:37:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its
View Quote

That one holds the bottle too low... If I try to set up for my canteen, it looks like it will flop as the retaining strap would hold very low on the bottle...

I was considering this bottle holder:  mil spec monkey / tactical tailor

But: If I use it with the GI canteen it'll give me problems. I don't want to fight the shock cord when securing the canteen.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Condor Nalgene bottle pouch on it's own shoulder strap that also fits Aquafina type plastic bottles, but mostly I use a hydration bladder in a pack. Due to water/weight ratio, and bulk- I've completely given up military style canteens in favor of the aforementioned.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a Condor Nalgene bottle pouch on it's own shoulder strap that also fits Aquafina type plastic bottles, but mostly I use a hydration bladder in a pack. Due to water/weight ratio, and bulk- I've completely given up military style canteens in favor of the aforementioned.
View Quote

I totally understand, BUT, the bottle gives me a chance to gulp and take in more water when needed. Whereas the water bladder doesn't.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I was on my cell earlier but in reference to the ITS; I used it in a rather static pistol class and didn't really notice it was there or holding anything.  But it can hold a variety of containers lol.

Battle Belt by Dan Passaro, on Flickr

Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:32:02 AM EDT
[#10]
That actually looks good. Plus you say you didn't notice it even being there...

I wonder whether that would still be true if you needed to run?

But then there is the fact that my canteen is bright flashy steel...
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:11:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Get rid of the canteen, use a nalgen. I use Mystery Ranches bottle pocket. Now called SOCOM bottle pocket.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get rid of the canteen, use a nalgen. I use Mystery Ranches bottle pocket. Now called SOCOM bottle pocket.
View Quote
You say get rid of the canteen and use the Nalgene, but you don't say why...
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I thought I might change my mind and I have .........

I received my Soft Taco.  I'm going to prefer that for holding water.  It can hold anything as wide as a 32oz Nalgene, so 16.9oz water bottles fit just fine.

In addition though I can stuff three 30rnd PMAGs in the Soft Taco.

In reality the imagination is the limit for what can be stuffed in there.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I use the Condor Tactical Multicam water bottle pouch at work. It will hold a 32oz Hydroflask or camelback.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The stainless GI canteens were awesome. I used my father's issue canteen from Korean War for years.

When I was a kid my dad showed me the best part of the old system was the canvas cover lined with wool felt. After filling the canteen you would dunk the cover in the water soaking it. In mild to hot weather evaporative cooling would take place as the cover slowly dried, chilling the canteen and the water inside. The wool felt served as both insulation and water retainer for the evap effects. The drawback was the cover was heavier while wet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:02:24 AM EDT
[#17]
I've switched from canteens and bottles to a small source reservoir in a tactical tailor canteen pouch.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:56:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I've switched from canteens and bottles to a small source reservoir in a tactical tailor canteen pouch.
View Quote
What is a small source reservoir, for those of us unfamiliar?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What is a small source reservoir, for those of use unfamiliar?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a small source reservoir, for those of use unfamiliar?
https://sourcetacticalgear.com/tactical-hydration-systems/112-kangaroo-hydration-system-canteen.html
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:52:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What is a small source reservoir, for those of us unfamiliar?
View Quote
Source is a brand.

https://sourcetacticalgear.com/

Very well thought out compared to others - massive opening so that they're easy to clean and dry, detachable valves and tubes with auto cut-off valves, the ability to refill the reservoir yourself while wearing it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#22]
The Eagle SFLCS/RLCS Canteen/Nalgene Pouch V.2 are on ebay for about $15-20, will hold either the GI 1qt Canteen with Cup and Stove Stand, or a 32oz Nalgene/Sportsmans Bottle with nesting cup
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I totally understand, BUT, the bottle gives me a chance to gulp and take in more water when needed. Whereas the water bladder doesn't.
View Quote
While it is less convenient, there is nothing stopping you from refilling water to a bladder. A small inline filter and chlorine dioxide tabs or a separate gravity filter makes a full gallon of intake only require a maximum of 5 minutes using the slower external gravity filter. If you get access to a water spigot, it takes only an extra minute.

Bladders weigh less, take up less space, don't slosh, and are adequately durable.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#24]
AO Chest Rig by Dan Passaro, on Flickr

AO Chest Rig by Dan Passaro, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 1:18:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Re the different valves - some people do have a strong preference. I prefer the bite when I'm taking small drinks regularly but the pull-for-flow sports bottle style is easier to drink larger amounts from.

The valve dock that mounts on your gear for the valves to lock into is a nice item as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top