Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 11:09:40 PM EDT
I am a fan of fairly light weight, six inch high boots with good ankle support, decent traction and a non flashy or trashy look. I usually spend around $140 and they usually last a year or two.

I am about due for another pair of boots and everything I've ever liked is no longer made...

Right now I'm wearing some Tactical Research combat hikers. Except for being a delightful combination of coyote and FDE, they are perfect: comfortable, good arch support, great traction, held up for a long time. But they seem to be out of production.

Before these I had two pairs of Danner GTX. They were less goofy looking but uncomfortable and they looked worn out after 4 - 5 months. If I ever buy Danner boots, I won't get the made in China boots.

Before these I had some OTB Bootistans. These boots were perfect. Non-flashy, comfortable, great traction, extremely tough. But no longer made.

Before this I had Vasques and Asolos. These were much more expensive and looked bad fairly quickly.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:24:42 AM EDT
[#1]
im a big fan of the saloman quest gtxs, have 3 pairs currently, one for work, one for every day, one on reserve.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 4:44:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Salomon. Wear for years, need no break in. The 4d Quest are my favorite boots of all time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm a salomon fanboy and highly recommend them but I recently took a chance and tried the Salewa boots.  Hands down a better option for tactical, hiking, and casual wear.  Better waterproofing, warranty, lacing system.  They are lighter and look a little less tactical and more casual.  Just had to replace the yellow laces with black

Attachment Attached File

http://tacticalgear.com/salewa-alp-flow-gtx-smoke-yellow?hp=y&gclid=CNfH1JK8ptICFQyUaQody50BiQ#/27476/1742,5129,18492/1&dl=b
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a salomon fanboy and highly recommend them but I recently took a chance and tried the Salewa boots.  Hands down a better option for tactical, hiking, and casual wear.  Better waterproofing, warranty, lacing system.  They are lighter and look a little less tactical and more casual.  Just had to replace the yellow laces with black

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/366189/0-1001-salewa-alp-flow-gtx-smoke-yellow-152439.JPG

http://tacticalgear.com/salewa-alp-flow-gtx-smoke-yellow?hp=y&gclid=CNfH1JK8ptICFQyUaQody50BiQ#/27476/1742,5129,18492/1&dl=b
View Quote

Big +1 for Salewa.  I bought a pair of last year's version of these on a major clearance, and they are by far my favorites.  Great hiking or tactical boots; they're a good cross between the two without standing out.  The ONLY downside to them I've noticed is they're a bit hot in the summer as compared to non-GTX boots.  If they made a non-GTX version I'd probably never buy anything else.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm guessing since your current boots are FDE, there is no requirement for uniform boots.  I just recently got a pair of the 5-11 lightweight tactical waterproof boots.  I had to go up a half size from what I normally wear, as the boots run small.  But they are awesomely comfortable, lightweight, and waterproof.  I've only been wearing them a month now, so I don't have a durability to give you, but they appear to be good construction and should be durable.
I usually wear Danners, but got a chance to pick these up at no out-of-pocket, so I did and have been happy with them.
Here's a link to the black ones, but it looks like they have tan and gray too in the same style.
http://www.511tactical.com/skyweight-side-zip-boot.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top