Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2017 9:12:56 PM EDT
Hoping you guys can help me out again.  I am looking at getting two plates (stand alone level IV) to use in a carrier specifically for search warrant entries and potential active shooters situations at work.  For search warrants, this carrier would get used at least once a week, but possibly more often than that.  I've decided I would like to do the multi curve, but then it comes down to several companies.  Weight isn't a major issue, as heavy vests get taken off shortly after an entry.

I've looked at Hesco and found their plates for about $180 each for multi curve large SAPI (11"x14" 9.2 pounds).  Hesco is used by a few neighboring agencies.

Also, found Hesco medium SAPI (10.25? x 13.25? 7.9 lbs) for $180.

Then there is, SKD tactical, but don't see a multi curve there, but similar pricing in a 10" x 12"

If it makes a difference, I am about 6'2"- 6'3" (depending on the bank I'm leaving), 190 pounds and about a 42-44 inch chest (depending on size of lunch/dinner).

Additionally, the HighCom Guardian 4SAS7 in similar sizes and price ranges.

What do you all recommend and why?  I am open to other companies as well.  Will also need to pick up a carrier to use as well.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Those plates are a bit on the heavy side.  I'd spend a few more bucks and break into the 7-8 pound level IV plates.  There's a ton of options out there on plates.  For carriers, I love my London bridge 6094. Also a lot of options on those - not really a right or wrong answer as it comes down to the features you want and the level of quality that you want to pay for.  

Your department doesn't provide plates for guys running search warrants? That's rough.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those plates are a bit on the heavy side.  I'd spend a few more bucks and break into the 7-8 pound level IV plates.  There's a ton of options out there on plates.  For carriers, I love my London bridge 6094. Also a lot of options on those - not really a right or wrong answer as it comes down to the features you want and the level of quality that you want to pay for.  

Your department doesn't provide plates for guys running search warrants? That's rough.
View Quote

Thanks for the input.  I will look around and see what I can find.

SWAT has plates for high risk entries, but street crimes and narcs do not have them yet.  The department is starting to issue a throw over carrier to be used in active shooter situations or "if the officer/detective feels the situation warrants the wearing of the plates and carrier."  I think that all drug papers should be served by guys wearing extra armor nowadays.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#3]
10.25 x 13.25 is a SAPI large, not medium.  11 x 14 is XL

with your height/weight, you'd probably fall into Large
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top