Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2016 12:07:20 AM EDT
I currently waiting for it to come in. I went back and forth between the RBAV, APC and LBT 6094. I decided to go with the RBAV because I found an XL. I'm 6' and 250, former college football MLB, and wanted something that gave me a little more coverage and more options. I have a few questions about the color MJK. I do not think I have seen the color in person. It appears to be lighter than coyote. I want to run different brands of pouches. How do other brands colors match MJK?
Also, I'm thinking of running a battle belt with a drop leg holster. I'm planning on keeping it fairly light with a couple pistol mags only. Do I need suspenders under the RBAV? If so, any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#1]
We were just discussing this last week.

RBAV

I bought one in MJK too. Pics in the thread.

Yes, it's lighter than Coyote. Eagle or SDS pouches are your best bet. MJK was designed by Eagle.

ETA: If that's all you are going to run on your belt, you shouldn't need suspenders. And look at a Safariland or G code with a drop offfset, will put your gun up closer and better positioned, drop leg will be too low IMO and general consensus here.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
A lot of the coyote tan LBT stuff was issued to us along with the RBAV. I didn't even think it was made by two different companies until I looked at the labels.

MJK is definitely lighter than Coyote Brown. Emdom's Coyoteish is a good middle ground between coyote brown and MJK.

As far as the suspenders go, I never wore suspenders on by battle belt so I cannot really comment on that. Never saw anyone else in the Det. or the ODAs with us do that either. That being said, it might work for you just because of your build. If it doesn't work for you then sell them in the EE.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 10:59:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Probably the last thing you want is a drop leg anything...no one I know runs one; I would suggest you try that as a last resort.

Battle belt:  yes; hanging anything off of it:  no.

As for color, in reality, at least on the front for sure and possibly on the back depending on how you load it, there will be more pouches than vest exposed.  I've seen guys cover tan/coyote and sewer/smoke green carriers with multicam pouches for example, and it doesn't look ½ bad.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 11:32:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a size large RBAV-AF in Multicam and am happy with my purchase. Most people these days are going with Plate Carriers (PC), but there is really only a couple pounds difference between a PC and a Armor Carrier (AC) assuming you use the same size/weight or plates, numner of mags, etc.... Im not LE/Mil so for me the most likely need for body armor would be home defense, and statistically pistols are the most common firearm in home invasion, (I believe its 97% of the time), so I want as much soft armor as I can get and IMO the need for a light weight, breathable, unrestrictive vest isn't really necessary unless youre fighting in desert heat. Ohio can get warm and humid, but not desert hot.

As for a drop leg I wouldn't bother, just put a holster on your battle belt (BB). I use a HSGI belt and never have any issues drawing from it. No need to fiddle with straps, or buckles to put on a drop leg, it takes all of seconds to take a BB on or off.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#5]
look for "SFLCS" on ebay to get pouches for your setup in the matching MJK khaki shade
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]
My RBAV came in and I really like it. I have been looking for a place to get the BALCS soft armor inserts and most are $300-$400 for the XL. Any manufacturers to avoid and do you have any suggestions for where to get it from? I'm planning on using the BALCS with front and rear plates only, no plates on the sides.
I have considered getting flat soft armor for the front and back with side 6x6's instead of the BALCS. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't halfass armor, use the size and pattern specific to the carrier you have

There are aramid or UHMWPE based inserts.   Aramid (Kevlar) are more joe-proof and have better performance from an environmental and physical composition under load perspective

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top