Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2016 10:19:30 PM EDT
I'm sure there are a few threads on knee and elbow pads, but the search feature here sucks for non-paying freeloaders such as myself.

I started out in the construction industry decades ago as a tradesman and luckily I got in the habit of always wearing knee pads.  So, thankfully my knees are still in great shape and I'd like to keep them that way.  To this day whenever I am working on my house or vehicle, etc. I feel naked unless I have my knee pads on.  I just don't feel like I'm ready to start working unless I'm wearing my knee pads.

I got a plate carrier a while back and if and when the time ever comes that I would need to use that I'm thinking I would like to have some knee and elbow pads to go with it.  The knee pads I use for construction would not be ideal for that scenario, so I'd like to buy some that are more specific to the purpose.

Any helpful advice in between the smart ass responses I'm bound to get would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:13:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I've been a skateboarder for 30+ years.  The only reason I can still walk (and skateboard) is probably due to the fact that I wear pads.  I've noticed that skateboard helmets and pads have been used in the past by some units.  I can speak as an expert of sorts on pads.  I would recommend going with a cheap skateboard pad.  The cheaper pads will tend to have less padding and therefore more mobility when worn with clothing.  If you are looking for better padding, spend a little more for some higher end ones.  The padding will tend to be focused on protecting the kneecap, so they can be kind of weird to balance on. In the end, you get what you pay for durability wise.

My two cents...

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Not sure what you use normally, but I bet their very similar to what the .mil uses.

Look into Alta's.

I think knee and elbow pads are more trouble than their worth, unless using something like the Crye pads that actually fit into the combat pants and are very low profile and unobtrusive. When using Alta's, a lot of guys just wear them around their ankles most of the time because they usually just get in the way and make you hot and less mobile. Or just wear the one that you usually take a knee with.

Elbow pads are even worse and I really think you'll be wasting money on them. Very little to no use.

But I know none of that is what you want to hear, so long story short...

Look into Alta's

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Pads don't seem to offer much benefit at the cost of mobility to me, and unless you're falling straight onto your knees to go prone, I don't see much use either. Better body control and falling techniques seem to be better for preventing knee injuries with your gear on IMO. But if you're really set on a set of pads, I'd say the above posters suggestions for Altas are pretty good, based on the feedback of some of my buddies that enlisted out of highschool.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:08:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Back in my infantry days, we weren't wearing any sort of PPE. It would have been nice, back then.

Having said that, fast forward to now and I have done a lot of pistol and carbine training courses.

Here is my opinion:

What you are doing (and where you are doing it) will influence the need for pads.

If you are doing a carbine course, you had better get some knee protection. Sure, you'll probably
be on a range with some nice soft turf (or fairly benign gravel). However, imagine yourself kneeling down
upon an upturned expended brass casing. Good pads will protect you from that nasty owie.

Alta pads are a decent pad, but they don't last too long. The Arc'teryx 'Military Knee Cap' pads are my
'go to' pads for knee protection. They last a long time and provide excellent fit, comfort, and protection.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:04:58 AM EDT
[#5]
My alta's dont bother me any. I dont use elbow pads though.

Never had the altas get in the way if adjusted properly
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:28:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Forget the elbow pads.

For knee pads get the Arcteryx LEAF Knee caps. Hatch also makes some decent knee pads that are cheaper than the Arcteryx.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:05:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Arc'teryx LEAF knee caps. Dunno about elbow pads, my only experience is with the dumb old school swat ones and the modern Crye pads. Like somebody else said, the best are the integrated knees / elbows from Crye. But that represents a significant investment which may not be worth it to you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 2:50:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Alta ones are cheap and work well if you just need to use them periodically. I've used mine a lot.

The crye/massif pants ones are pretty nice, but the pants are usually very thick/hot/heavy and expensive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:04:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alta ones are cheap and work well if you just need to use them periodically. I've used mine a lot.

The crye/massif pants ones are pretty nice, but the pants are usually very thick/hot/heavy and expensive.
View Quote

The Massif ones are hot and heavy for sure, the Cryes are better. I have both, and my Crye G3's are much more comfortable and cooler.

But like unpleasant says, it will cost you.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks everyone, I appreciate  all the comments.

I'm inclined  to go with  the majority opinion and order the Arc'teryx LEAF knee caps, if I could find a good place to order them from.  LA Police Gear is out of the question and of the three other places that my Google search pulled up, nobody seems to have the black versios in stock.

It doesn't look like you can order directly from the manufacturer  either.  One of the site sponsors here, SKD seems to carry them, but it is not clear whether they are in stock or not.

While  searching on Google for the Arc'teryx LEAF knee caps, Google recommended a  similar  product from Black Diamond. The Telekneesis Kneepad from Black Diamond looks to be a lot more readily available  and I've found some direct comparisons between it and the knee caps.  Sounds like the edge always goes to the knee caps, but I'd rather not wait six months for someone to,get these in stock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:57:02 PM EDT
[#11]
SKD is great if they have them in stock they will be available in a drop down menu when you go to select the color or style or whatever.

I have a set of Dye neoprene (gel or something)l knee pads that where made for paint ball. I got them to go under pants so that I could ware whatever pants I want. They are pretty comfortable. Id like to try the Crye G3 pants but I am not sure I want to drop that coin just yet.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks everyone, I appreciate  all the comments.

I'm inclined  to go with  the majority opinion and order the Arc'teryx LEAF knee caps, if I could find a good place to order them from.  LA Police Gear is out of the question and of the three other places that my Google search pulled up, nobody seems to have the black versios in stock.

It doesn't look like you can order directly from the manufacturer  either.  One of the site sponsors here, SKD seems to carry them, but it is not clear whether they are in stock or not.

While  searching on Google for the Arc'teryx LEAF knee caps, Google recommended a  similar  product from Black Diamond. The Telekneesis Kneepad from Black Diamond looks to be a lot more readily available  and I've found some direct comparisons between it and the knee caps.  Sounds like the edge always goes to the knee caps, but I'd rather not wait six months for someone to,get these in stock.
View Quote

If you can add it to cart at SKD, it's in stock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Arcs are really as awesome as described. All knee pads suck, the Arcs just minimize the suck. I use this as a discriminator when people recommend things... If they will not spend $50 to invest in long term health, then take their recommendation with a block of salt.

I gave my Mom a pair for gardening.

Did you try Tactical Distributors? They are my go to for the fancy stuff.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#14]
I placed the order for the knee caps with SKD Tactical this morning and received a shipping notice this afternoon.  It is shipping out using USPS, so I expect it will be sometime next week before I see it.

Thanks again for all the advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top