Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2016 1:10:12 PM EDT
This one should be fun. I was able to punch through regular level III steel plates with this Turkish surplus 8mm, but not the level III+ composite plates I tested, despite significant back face deformation. This will be the first level III+ steel plate I've tested with this ammo. It's pretty hot at about 2,950-3,000 fps. To complicate things, Armour Wear is pretty fucky. They call this an "AR680" plate but it seems unlikely that it's actually 680 BHN. They refer to "secret sauce" as though that's a thing. They claimed that this plate would stop M193 from a 20" barrel until 10mm_ tested that and they changed their website. What do you think will happen?

https://youtu.be/Ly4pCXWfOXk
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Thank you for posting and I would hate to have been that water bottle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 3:43:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The Chopping Block: Creating a desert oasis one jug at a time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 6:51:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Not surprising. When I was in the market a couple years ago, Armour Wear's stuff just all seemed too good to be true based on their descriptions, but of course no data or certs to back anything up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Another great video.   Thanks TCB.

TXL
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:29:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm still wondering where the number 680 came from because there is no way that steel is 20-80 points harder than Chromium Carbide and even if it were, it would shatter like glass with a bullet impact.

This is yet another reason I urge people to stay away from Under Wear.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 4:49:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Exactly. It would be a pretty decent plate if it weren't for their fuckery. A level III+ (they refer to it as "LVL 3+" ) that stops M193 from a 16" barrel but is thinner and lighter than most other steel plates in exchange for not being able to stop M193 from a 20" barrel and costs $145 is attractive. Or it would be if they weren't so full of shit.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:24:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Exactly. It would be a pretty decent plate if it weren't for their fuckery. A level III+ (they refer to it as "LVL 3+" ) that stops M193 from a 16" barrel but is thinner and lighter than most other steel plates in exchange for not being able to stop M193 from a 20" barrel and costs $145 is attractive. Or it would be if they weren't so full of shit.
View Quote

I'm fine with a little bs, I just don't listen to them. If someone with a 20" AR smokes me in shtf, so be it. I run their plates and I'm comfortable with the level of protection they provide relative to the weight / cost.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 11:31:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm a little worried that their lack of integrity may extend to quality control. We have no way to know whether all their plates perform the way they have in my and 10mm_'s tests.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Entirely possible. Sometimes even producta we trust with good reputations turn out to be a pack of lies (I'm looking at you EOtech!). One never can tell. I'm not sure I've seen a test where the '680' doesn't at least stop lvl III threats, so it's not like some of their plates are total dog crap or anything. Maybe I've missed some video/tests though, are there any lvl III tests that the plate fails?
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:13:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I can comment that the internals of their Level IV plate seemed to be poorly put together compared to how it should be built. But it did stop 1 round of M2AP, as it's supposed to. I'd rather spend the $$$ on a better product..

Supposedly Spartan Armor is now marketing AR650, but who's to say if the steel is really that hard. if someone sends me a sample, I'll gladly test it. I need to re-test the AR680..
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#12]
III+ can mean anything...but AR 680 is very specific. If it's not really 680, some kind of refund should be in order, because that's just false advertising...
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
III+ can mean anything...but AR 680 is very specific. If it's not really 680, some kind of refund should be in order, because that's just false advertising...
View Quote

Absolutely right. To put a finer point on it, Level III is supposed to mean that it meets NIJ level III standards (7.62x51mm M80 FMJ @ 2,780 fps) and if it is independently tested by an NIJ certified lab, one can be assured that it at least meets that admittedly low bar. Level III+ ought to mean that it meets level III standards and exceeds that standard in some way (stops M193 at 2,950 fps, for example). But this plate isn't even labeled level III+. It is labeled "LVL 3+", which doesn't mean anything at all.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm a little worried that their lack of integrity may extend to quality control. We have no way to know whether all their plates perform the way they have in my and 10mm_'s tests.
View Quote

That's the very same point that I would make. If they aren't completely above aboard on their products, why should I assume they treat their manufacturing process any differently?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top