Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2016 7:12:43 PM EDT
What separates a $200 carrier from a $1,400 carrier?
I've read that sub $100 carriers aren't durable and they can be ill fitting for plates, even if they're perfectly fine for budget.
I read a lot of people are quite happy with their $200+ choices like mayflower, London trading, TAG, etc.
Then I see TYR makes an EPIC carrier for about  $1,400! TYR makes $200 to $800 to $1,450 plate carriers and I'd really like to know what separates a $200 and a $1400 plate carrier.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The EPIC is a ballistic vest that comes with soft armor.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That changes things.  I'm looking to buy lvl 4 plates. I've learned that lvl 4 plates aren't good enough, they require plate backers too which need to be soft armor?
On TYR's site, it gives the impression plates are required, but not included. But the same graphic is shown on all their  plate carriers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:49:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That changes things.  I'm looking to buy lvl 4 plates. I've learned that lvl 4 plates aren't good enough, they require plate backers too which need to be soft armor?

On TYR's site, it gives the impression plates are required, but not included. But the same graphic is shown on all their  plate carriers.

http://www.tyrtactical.com/_ui/images/products/ibsfinalepic.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.tyrtactical.com/_ui/images/products/ibsfinalepic.png
False. LVL IV can be stand alone.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Then I'm getting misleading info which is why I come here, and why I put a question mark in that statement.  

One plate carrier company helped me with size, gave me plate advice for fit, then recommended soft plate backers.
The plate company told me: The level IV stand alone does not require backing to defeat the threats listed, however, the soft armor backer can certainly provide additional trauma protection to help mitigate BFS "Back Face Signature"
TYR's graphic also makes it look like soft armor backing is part of the norm.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:55:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Then I'm getting misleading info which is why I come here, and why I put a question mark in that statement.  

One plate carrier company helped me with size, gave me plate advice for fit, then recommended soft plate backers.

The plate company told me: The level IV stand alone does not require backing to defeat the threats listed, however, the soft armor backer can certainly provide additional trauma protection to help mitigate BFS "Back Face Signature"

TYR's graphic also makes it look like soft armor backing is part of the norm.

View Quote
Which company

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The first company was TAG.
The pate company is Highcomm.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The first company was TAG.
The pate company is Highcomm.
View Quote

With standalone level 4' the soft backers will only be cushioning, they won't add anything to the rating.

With the graphic, it's showing that if you the optional plate it will increase the rating.  All you're seeing is that it has the ability of accepting a plate.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:18:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I had the impression plate backers where for reducing the felt blow and optional, not for armor which is confusing that most armor backers have IIIA ratings.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

$1200!

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I had the impression plate backers where for reducing the felt blow and optional, not for armor which is confusing that most armor backers have IIIA ratings.
View Quote

Level IV plates come as either "stand alone" or ICW (in conjunction with).  ICW requires soft armor under it to get the full level IV rating.  Stand alone plates at least used to be more expensive than ICW, not sure that is the case now.  If you were going to be wearing soft armor anyway, such as law enforcement, ICW makes more sense from a weight perspective.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I can tell you that the IMTV I have, that is USMC issued right now, has a 9mm/frag soft backer standard and the plates go in front of it. From what I understand the thought behind doing it like that is to provide an additional layer of protection.

It will cushion the blow and probably trauma protection too. It may help if a round penetrates, but does not have the velocity to make it past the soft armor. I am not sure about this, but it's my educated guess. The way I look at it, is that if a round penetrates, the plate will absorb the majority of the round and the backer may end up slowing a penetration down enough that it will not be fatal.

For 1,400 I would expect it to come with all plates and be the most comfortable on the market. I would look into Crye and then ceramic plates. Best you can buy for the money. I have noticed some of the active duty guys choose that vest and I assume it's because it is the best padded and most comfortable one you can get.

My backers.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#12]
The only thing separated is a fool and his money.

Quoted:
I've read that sub $100 carriers aren't durable and they can be ill fitting for plates, even if they're perfectly fine for budget.
I read a lot of people are quite happy with their $200+ choices like mayflower, London trading, TAG, etc.
Then I see TYR makes an EPIC carrier for about  $1,400! TYR makes $200 to $800 to $1,450 plate carriers and I'd really like to know what separates a $200 and a $1400 plate carrier.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I can tell you that the IMTV I have, that is USMC issued right now, has a 9mm/frag soft backer standard and the plates go in front of it. From what I understand the thought behind doing it like that is to provide an additional layer of protection.

It will cushion the blow and probably trauma protection too. It may help if a round penetrates, but does not have the velocity to make it past the soft armor. I am not sure about this, but it's my educated guess. The way I look at it, is that if a round penetrates, the plate will absorb the majority of the round and the backer may end up slowing a penetration down enough that it will not be fatal.

For 1,400 I would expect it to come with all plates and be the most comfortable on the market. I would look into Crye and then ceramic plates. Best you can buy for the money. I have noticed some of the active duty guys choose that vest and I assume it's because it is the best padded and most comfortable one you can get.

My backers.

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo117/mattfukoseatbelts/IMTV/0516162003%20-%20Copy.jpg
View Quote

i don't know if I'd call the soft armor panels in an IOTV/IMTV 'backers'.  They are the base ballistic material in the vests.  The idea is that they are modular...only need handgun or frag protection?  use the base vest.  Need more handgun or frag protection?  Add the neck and nut panels.  Need something to stop rifle rounds?  Add the front/back plates.  Need more rifle protection?  Add the side plates

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This isn't that complicated.

ICW plates require IIIA backers for certified performance.

Standalone do not. Backers are recommended to reduce blunt force trauma. So what if the backer also happens to have a IIIA rating?
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:41:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Comfort.

But you also gotta look at who these companies cater too. They are selling to guys who live in their PC's and have unlimited SOCOM credit cards.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#16]
There is a point of diminishing returns and honestly, most "civilians" don't need the lightest most comfortable and longest lasting plate carrier made.

Past ~$600, you are generally getting features most people don't need and don't really care about.  While the Crype Precision "Cage" is a super nice system, do I really need everything that comes with it and all the options and modularity.  I can get a Crye Precision AVS for a half to third as much and get ~90% of the functionality.  Do I even need or would I even use the extra 10% the Cage system offers?

In the ~$200 to ~$500 systems, you get better stitching, better hardware, better materials in general, all assembled in a proven system for the intended audience.  For the home owner that only has a plate carrier in the closet for those rare occasions when the user feels the need to use it, one of the cheaper carriers is a solid choice.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:35:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Crye logo.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is a point of diminishing returns and honestly, most "civilians" don't need the lightest most comfortable and longest lasting plate carrier made.

Past ~$600, you are generally getting features most people don't need and don't really care about.  While the Crype Precision "Cage" is a super nice system, do I really need everything that comes with it and all the options and modularity.  I can get a Crye Precision AVS for a half to third as much and get ~90% of the functionality.  Do I even need or would I even use the extra 10% the Cage system offers?

In the ~$200 to ~$500 systems, you get better stitching, better hardware, better materials in general, all assembled in a proven system for the intended audience.  For the home owner that only has a plate carrier in the closet for those rare occasions when the user feels the need to use it, one of the cheaper carriers is a solid choice.
View Quote

I'm mostly looking at the TAG PC, and with the upcharge for multicam, it goes to $280, I don't mind going up to 500-600 if I getting something better. At that price range which models should I look at?
I sit on the side of buy once, crye once (pun intended )
I do like the idea of the modular abdomen and lap or groin soft panel, since I'm very tall and TAG doesn't offer it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 1:42:27 PM EDT
[#19]
SKD PIG Plate carrier would be an excellent option as well. If I hadn't gotten a fantastic deal on a LBT 6094 I'd probably be looking into one of theirs. I do own a TAG Banshee and I'd have to say I much prefer the LBT over it in terms of construction and comfort. For 90% of civilian applications you can't go wrong with most high quality stuff.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top