Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 3:15:02 PM EDT
So with all the craziness going on, I've been seriously looking at a plate carrier setup. I've pretty much decided on a Mayflower APC and Highcom ceramic plates.

However, I've been looking at the Geigerrig hydrations systems and I was wondering whether the 1600 tactical rig (3L) pack would integrate well with a plate carrier and also double as a pack/storage on my back, or if that would be too cumbersome, whether the tactical rigger (2L) is a preferrable system to mount a hydration bladder

Links to the two products in question

Geigerrig 1600

Geigerrig Tactical Rigger

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:53:46 PM EDT
[#1]
No responses?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I think one of the practices that came from overseas was, keeping a smaller hydration pack on the carrier because you use water bottles whenever you're in the vehicle.  The bladder system ended up only being for the time between vehicle movements... which is easy to refill if you are using 1L bottles.  Bottom line being, water is heavy, so carry only so much as you need.

I have a 2L (I think) Camelbak and it's plenty big enough.  I wouldn't want almost a solid gallon on my back in a 3L.

ETA:  Mine is a 2L.  I'd even go for a 1L, if you relied on a vehicle at all.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you want to keep your hydration in a separate backpack or attach to the pc itself?  If attached to the PC, I wouldn't want a full 3L of water on my back if there were any chance of getting in a fight or needing to run.  Having it in an easy to shuck pack would be more ideal if you're carrying more than a liter or two at most.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I added buckles to my pc and paracord straps and buckles to my hydro. Clips on and off and still retains its own backpack straps
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in the same predicament but I at least have it narrowed down to 2L

Seems like most of the hydro packs are 3L, which will work, but I really just want the 2L.  If that.  No need for a bunch of extra space.  I'd really just like enough room for the bladder.

So far I haven't seen anything that's exactly right.  I ended up ordering a cheapo no name pouch off fleabay so we'll see what that's like.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#6]
SKD PIG works for me. The Source 2L bladder needs to be purchased in addition.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:56:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I hate drinking water from hydration bladders.
I hate wearing a hydration bladder.
I hate having to clean a hydration bladder.

-Disposable water bottles can be refilled later, crunched down for space and reused, or thrown away so you don't have to carry anything. Bottles fit in pockets too.
-A nalgene type bottle or two are tough, you can put coffee or drink mixes in them, you can clean them well enough to remove said coffee/drink mix taste.
-If you have a plate carrier on, you are probably going to need a backpack of some sort. Keep the bottles in your backpack.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:52:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

-Disposable water bottles can be refilled later, crunched down for space and reused, or thrown away so you don't have to carry anything. Bottles fit in pockets too.
-A nalgene type bottle or two are tough, you can put coffee or drink mixes in them, you can clean them well enough to remove said coffee/drink mix taste.
-If you have a plate carrier on, you are probably going to need a backpack of some sort. Keep the bottles in your backpack.
View Quote

100% this, with 1 caveat: I keep a 1 qt source bladder on my gear, all the way back on my cummerbund, just shy of where it would interfere with a ruck. This lets me have the advantage of drinking out of a straw if I need too, and I normally just have the hose strung out of the way. It's good for a quick sip of water on the move if I need it, and then I refill it through the hose attachment as soon as I stop.

Any long movements with a ruck, I'll throw a bladder in my ruck with the same deal: drink while moving, top off at a stop. Another disadvantage to bladders is its hard to tell how much you've drank where as with bottles, a quick shake or count gives you that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Do you want to keep your hydration in a separate backpack or attach to the pc itself?  If attached to the PC, I wouldn't want a full 3L of water on my back if there were any chance of getting in a fight or needing to run.  Having it in an easy to shuck pack would be more ideal if you're carrying more than a liter or two at most.
View Quote
I want to attach it to the PC itself. Looks like I'll be going with the 2L on the back based on responses here, and a small nalgene on the front.

ETA: Thanks for the help y'all.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread got me looking for 2L carriers as well. Another find from Emdom that will fit the bill nicely.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:29:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a surplus hydration carrier (more like a sleeve) that supposed was part of the Ranger system for my plate carrier.  But to be honest, I don't think i've even put a filled hydration bladder in there.

IMHO, i'm planning on removing it from my carrier and just using the new Source hydration bladder and backpack carrier that I bought a couple of months ago.  I can use a couple of grimlocks or custom straps to attach it to the carrier until I want to remove it.  And most importantly, I can take it off without taking off the carrier.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:52:48 AM EDT
[#12]
This on my JPC:

http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/details/pouches-hy/50oz-vertical-hydration-pouch/

Small...enough hydro to get by
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a disposable bottle on my belt (and can throw one in a cargo pocket if need be). Bladder and Nalgene(s) stay in the pack. Necessarily, the back of my PC is slick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top