Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Fed Ex is supposed to be delivering my BattlSkin visor and liner today....we'll see.

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So what do I run? Revision Viper A3, XL, high cut, with XL MSS suspension upgrade, and XL stand alone rails, custom 3 hole.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
View Quote

Just a quick one.  Looking at their website, it really doesn't spell out what the difference is between the A1, A3 and P2 helmets.  Can you shed some light on that?

Also, what's the best way to determine which mount to get (1 hole vs. 3 hole)?  I know that the Notoros 3 hole shroud is pretty popular, what are the 1 hole options for holding NOD's?  

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 7:37:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Just a quick one.  Looking at their website, it really doesn't spell out what the difference is between the A1, A3 and P2 helmets.  Can you shed some light on that?

Also, what's the best way to determine which mount to get (1 hole vs. 3 hole)?  I know that the Notoros 3 hole shroud is pretty popular, what are the 1 hole options for holding NOD's?  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what do I run? Revision Viper A3, XL, high cut, with XL MSS suspension upgrade, and XL stand alone rails, custom 3 hole.

A1 is military helmet ACH shape, Kevlar construction.

A3 is NIJ LE helmet, same helmet as above, Kevlar, but not tested to military standards (but still exactly the same) so it costs less.

P2 is a UHMWPE (Spectra, Dyneema, etc.) ACH cut helmet. Its military tested and  lighter than the two above. Little less backface signature as well. Costs over twice as much due to UHMWPE vs Kevlar construction. Almost a full pound difference in weight.

Revision comes standard with a 1 hole mount (standard for US army) and uses their own proprietary system of NV mount that ties into the rails and side bolts to stabilize the NV mount. Without the Revision system, a 1 hole mount is a wobbly platform for NODs.  We requested a custom 3 hole Warcom mount hole patter with no shroud/mount (3 hole pattern is used by special forces due to better stability of mount/shroud). We opted for the stand alone rails (which are Revision specific, ARC rails fully licensed by OpsCore) and we purchased Wilcox L4 3 hole shrouds from MSTN for $60 each. Ended up better, lighter, cheaper, than Revision's proprietary mount and rails IMO. Revision standalone rails are cheaper than OpsCore ACH rails. A NIB Notoros 3 hole shroud is $200. You can use a Wilcox lanyard with the L4, but just a pull out stub non retractable Notoros proprietary lanyard on the Notoros. I'm still going to pony up for a Notoros arm, but everything Notoros is overpriced.

Currently I'm running Revision Viper A3 (love it), Revision standalone ARC rails (love everything but the bungee mount point), Revision MSS suspension (WAY better than stock but still not TW EPIC Air or BOA dial comfort level), Revision Precision fit hybrid helmet cover (great but kind of a pain due to lack of stretch), Wilcox L4 3 hole shroud (love it but OpsCore skeletal is lighter), COMTAC III single com with 3M ARC adapters (love but overpriced) , Unity KNUCKLE helmet mount (works but poor QA), Princeton Tech MPLS helmet light (works but kind of shoddy and flimsy),  S&S VLite (works but cant replace batteries), and an EOG mini glowstick holder (holds my comm wire for now). Really not sold on the smaller add on stuff yet, so that may change. Since it is a Kevlar helmet, it is very light with nothing on the helmet, noticeable but still light with all the accessories but no ears or NV, kinda heavy with accessories and ears on, heavy but bearable with everything plus PVS-14, and it would be unbearable for long periods with dual or quad tubes and a counterweight. A poly armor helmet would make everything go one step down in perceived weight.

The big advantage with a Notoros shroud is the little rubber bumpers that are needed to damp the loose military mounts and arms that are cheap... the Wilcox is precision enough you should not need that if you get a Notoros or Wilcox arm and other higher end, non standard issue NOD mounting parts. It will likewise eliminate the need for bungees to stabilize your NODs and take up slack if you are not using a surplus bayonet mount.
Link Posted: 11/8/2016 8:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A3 is NIJ LE helmet, same helmet as above, Kevlar, but not tested to military standards (but still exactly the same) so it costs less.

P2 is a UHMWPE (Spectra, Dyneema, etc.) ACH cut helmet. Its military tested and  lighter than the two above. Little less backface signature as well. Costs over twice as much due to UHMWPE vs Kevlar construction. Almost a full pound difference in weight.

Revision comes standard with a 1 hole mount (standard for US army) and uses their own proprietary system of NV mount that ties into the rails and side bolts to stabilize the NV mount. Without the Revision system, a 1 hole mount is a wobbly platform for NODs.  We requested a custom 3 hole Warcom mount hole patter with no shroud/mount (3 hole pattern is used by special forces due to better stability of mount/shroud). We opted for the stand alone rails (which are Revision specific, ARC rails fully licensed by OpsCore) and we purchased Wilcox L4 3 hole shrouds from MSTN for $60 each. Ended up better, lighter, cheaper, than Revision's proprietary mount and rails IMO. Revision standalone rails are cheaper than OpsCore ACH rails. A NIB Notoros 3 hole shroud is $200. You can use a Wilcox lanyard with the L4, but just a pull out stub non retractable Notoros proprietary lanyard on the Notoros. I'm still going to pony up for a Notoros arm, but everything Notoros is overpriced.

Currently I'm running Revision Viper A3 (love it), Revision standalone ARC rails (love everything but the bungee mount point), Revision MSS suspension (WAY better than stock but still not TW EPIC Air or BOA dial comfort level), Revision Precision fit hybrid helmet cover (great but kind of a pain due to lack of stretch), Wilcox L4 3 hole shroud (love it but OpsCore skeletal is lighter), COMTAC III single com with 3M ARC adapters (love but overpriced) , Unity KNUCKLE helmet mount (works but poor QA), Princeton Tech MPLS helmet light (works but kind of shoddy and flimsy),  S&S VLite (works but cant replace batteries), and an EOG mini glowstick holder (holds my comm wire for now). Really not sold on the smaller add on stuff yet, so that may change. Since it is a Kevlar helmet, it is very light with nothing on the helmet, noticeable but still light with all the accessories but no ears or NV, kinda heavy with accessories and ears on, heavy but bearable with everything plus PVS-14, and it would be unbearable for long periods with dual or quad tubes and a counterweight. A poly armor helmet would make everything go one step down in perceived weight.

The big advantage with a Notoros shroud is the little rubber bumpers that are needed to damp the loose military mounts and arms that are cheap... the Wilcox is precision enough you should not need that if you get a Notoros or Wilcox arm and other higher end, non standard issue NOD mounting parts. It will likewise eliminate the need for bungees to stabilize your NODs and take up slack if you are not using a surplus bayonet mount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How does one tell the difference between an A1 and A3 helmet?

I assumed all ACH's were IIIA rated.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are all (A1 and A3) identical. The differences are in the certification testing. A1 has Military testing tests for V50 sphere penetration  and 9mm with backface deformation. A3 has NIJ tests penetration only for 9mm and 44 mag. Both helmets would pass either test as they are identical. The A3 is cheaper due to less testing per batch, and less expensive tests tests which have costs amortized over each run. You can download the requirements for each test online but the helmets are IDENTICAL... so don't worry about it. Revision picked up helmet production other companies lost due to delamination, coating issues, ballistic failure, hardware issues, and other issues for the US military.  Revision scooped up multiple ACH helmet manufacture contracts lost by other companies.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Surplus ACH for around $100. Good to go.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you don't mind buying a new pad and suspension set up, repainting, getting a full cut instead of mid or high cut, and want a one hole shroud, yes that is an option. Often you will find that the used helmets are from companies that lost their military contract due to delamination, hardware, or ballistic issues. IF none if that bothers you and you are on a budget, a used ACH is an option. To me, the shell is not nearly as expensive as the rest of what is on the shell, so ~$100 for a full cut, one hole, beat up, used shell in poor condition vs ~$300 for a high cut, 3 hole, brand new helmet with great finish and hardware was not a hard choice. I then got ARC rails, a Wilcox shroud, and a nice suspension/pad set for an additional $180. Adding those parts to a used ACH would cost ~$250. While I am all about being finanilly responsible, it struck me as putting $2000 rims on a $1000 car or sort of like getting a used Olymic Arms lower to build off instead of a new Aero Precision, to put it in AR terms. The thought of using armor that was in an unknown condition from a company that had ballistic or delamination issues which caused them to get their military contract pulled, was also not appealing since I use mine for work.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 10:30:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This works for a lot of guys. Some guys turn gear into a side hobby then try to tell you your wrong for not thinking like they do.
Link Posted: 11/16/2016 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you do remember, I''d appreciate it if you posted the link here...
View Quote

It was Entry Gear I believe.

They had the Ceradyne rifle rated ECH. Does not still seem to be available.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:01:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They are all (A1 and A3) identical. The differences are in the certification testing. A1 has Military testing tests for V50 sphere penetration  and 9mm with backface deformation. A3 has NIJ tests penetration only for 9mm and 44 mag. Both helmets would pass either test as they are identical. The A3 is cheaper due to less testing per batch, and less expensive tests tests which have costs amortized over each run. You can download the requirements for each test online but the helmets are IDENTICAL... so don't worry about it. Revision picked up helmet production other companies lost due to delamination, coating issues, ballistic failure, hardware issues, and other issues for the US military.  Revision scooped up multiple ACH helmet manufacture contracts lost by other companies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for posting that.
I was able to get my helmet stuff mounted and put together. The MSS, (Modular Suspension System) was a PITA to get together with the front mount....but is NICE!
I like the visor system that flips up and down, just wish there was some way to leave it mounted to the helmet and protect it from scratches. It comes on and off very very easily, but stays put securely. Obviously, I havent taken any rocks to the helmet to see how well it stays on, but jumping up and down and shaking my head like a crazy person suffering a Grand Mal seizure doesnt budge it a bit.

I'll post up some pics here soon...

Just need to get a nice helmet cover for it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]
If you are looking for a chance to try it out, I might be able to provide you an opportunity on Black Friday....
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 1:34:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm already working secondary on Black Friday. Hoping I wont need the helmet or any of my other gear...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top