Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2016 7:41:29 PM EDT
It always bothered me when the OEM wouldn't put a velcro loop or elastic in the appropriate place.

Enter the bundling strap.  I don't remember what brand these are but the 3M Bundling Strap is the exact same design.  

The orange gaffer tape is for comparison.

(the black/black 'sticks' better than the grey/black)

Strap take ups - velcro by Dan Passaro, on Flickr

Strap take ups - velcro by Dan Passaro, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like the kind of thing that has edges that would scratch the crap out of your face, neck, and arms.  
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I have some of those i got from my dad when he was cleaning out his garage.  There wonderfull in place of tape.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ahh velcro cable ties.  Good idea.

I normally use electrical tape
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ahh velcro cable ties.  Good idea.

I normally use electrical tape
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I use cut up bicycle inner tubes. DannerTrax
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 1:24:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Rubber bands work just as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:59:45 AM EDT
[#7]

But I actually like the velcro idea for something that might need adjustment.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:26:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I had the same idea on my second tour in iraq.

Didn't really hold up to every day hard use. 100 mile/hr tape or something similar works better imho.

Works on someplace that is not going to get constantly rubbed, bumped, pulled, snagged etc is what I found out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:38:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I prefer ITW Web Dominators, but the OP's solution is good as well.

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:22:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Buy a thin tire inner tube (like the ones for those really skinny road raceing bikes) and cut the tube into 1/2 to 1" pieces. The rubber in the inner tube won't dry out and crumble like most rubber bands will. And its super heavy duty so it can stretch a good amount and then hold tight.

One of these tubes will give you a couple dozen bands, so you'll have enough to toss out to your battle buddies and be the most popular guy at the campfire....
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Been using it for years, 1roll lasts forever.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easiest way to do it is Velcro OneWrap: http://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Brand-Double-Sided-Multi-Purpose-Camouflage/dp/B00JWU77QE?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3/4" wide makes best sense, unless there are other constraints.  Same thing as the more expensive, slotted Velcro pictured in OP, but you can cut to order because it's not slotted.

The OP pictured a sewn-over end of strap, and cleverly used the capture feature on his version of Velcro tie to capture the thing onto the end of the strap.  This is well-done, and it will serve well to retain the strap wrap.  OTOH, colors are important nowadays, not to mention how much black stands out when seen with night vision devices.  My suggestion is presented as an alternative which may, or may not be, better, depending on one's needs.

These wraps (and even other devices, such as the web dominator)  are easily lost, so try this trick:  Cut the main wrap a little longer than you think necessary.   Use a short section to Velcro the main OneWrap strap to the equipment strap.   It will slide up and down, and not be lost unless you let it slide off the uncaptured end of the loose strap.  IOW, if the end of the strap has some means of capturing the assembly, such as a simple sewn turnover, then even that might prevent loss as long as the trick above is employed.  Best of all is if your gear has sewn-on loops at the ends of the straps.  Then, buy appropriate width OneWrap, and use the trick above.  It's there until it wears out (and it will, eventually), or until you remove it.

ILBE packs have such, and when new came with Velcro straps that were easily lost.  Replace them using the OneWrap, and the trick above.

FWIW, I don't bother securing straps unless their free length exceeds about 6" or so, and not even then if they often need adjustment.  I'll wrap-up excess strapping to about 6" or so, which length is easily grasped by a gloved hand for adjustment purposes.  YMMV.  I am very reluctant to cut what, at first glance/use seems to be excess strap, because such extra length might come in handy in exceptional circumstances.  Again, YMMV.  The old saying "Easy to remove, hard to add" comes to mind.
View Quote

hmmmm .... white also.

The new Rit DyeMore should work on that ....

I also hate to cut down what often become very useful for something such as a heavy coat .
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:09:08 AM EDT
[#16]
I just don't worry about the free ends of straps.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:It always bothered me when the OEM wouldn't put a velcro loop or elastic in the appropriate place.
Enter the bundling strap.  I don't remember what brand these are but the 3M Bundling Strap is the exact same design.  
The orange gaffer tape is for comparison.
(the black/black 'sticks' better than the grey/black)
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/HrUqpe" target="_blank">https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7333/27203767795_b300f9eb79_c.jpg</a>Strap take ups - velcro by Dan Passaro, on Flickr
<a href="https://flic.kr/p/HrUpUX" target="_blank">https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7500/27203766155_0f4416c4ff_c.jpg</a>Strap take ups - velcro by Dan Passaro, on Flickr
View Quote

I use them on my MR 3DAP and something wider from Home Depot

some ranger band just in case

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top