Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/27/2015 2:14:41 PM EDT
First, a picture of what I'm talking about:

I'm putting together a battle belt, and need pistol and rifle mag pouches. These will be for speed reloads, I'm probably going to do two pistol and one rifle.
Here's the issue: I learned, and train reloading by indexing the tip of the bullet with the tip of my index finger. This gives control and speed, because you aren't fumbling around trying to find the magazine well. I also like lightweight, simple  gear, which the KYWI pouches are. However, it looks like I won't be able to speed reload using my preferred technique with these. The magazine floorplates touch each other because they're so close together. I haven't actually handled one, but this doesn't seem like good design to me. Am I wrong? Seems like it'd be a lot more functional with a quarter to half inch space between each mag.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you putting magazines back? If so, I don't think you are worried about speed reloads.  If not, then you wont have an issue getting to the next mag.

Just my $0.02.

Once you go ESSTAC you probably wont go back.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 2:38:53 PM EDT
[#2]

See how his hand is on the magazine? How can you do that with the pouches so close together?

Competition style mag pouches have the right idea. I don't need that much space though...
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a double rifle and double pistol on my belt and love them. I am about to switch out my plate carrier pouches with Esstac pouches.

As Sea2Summit said if you are dropping your mags (as in the picture) and you grab the front mag in the pouch you can index just fine.  Once that one is out the second one will be ready to index just fine and so on.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:06:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You're missing the part where the curve around your hip, and this spreads them out some.

But yes, they are the closest together of anything on the market. I've had zero issue with them, and while they might not be the first thing I grab for competition, there is nothing better out there for duty, where real estate really starts to matter. You can also run an ESSTAC three mag pouch, and leave the middle space empty. You then have the same dispersion as most others, with the ability to plus up if you need. Where the stuff really shines is when you use the second pouch for a light. So in the same profile you would normally have one pistol mag, you now have one and a light. I will try to throw a picture up of this set up later.

ESSTAC is light years ahead of most other mag pouches since they are fast, simple, adaptable to different mags, easy to service/tune, etc. The only feature I'd like to see him add is the ability to add a retention flap, basically just a strip of fabric, for those mags behind the first one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2015 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The spacing doesn't bother me. If you think it'll be a problem for you then just get two singles and space them however you want.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Most of the guys that wear armor and use those pouches are not competition shooters. Real estate is more important than speed, to a point. I see no issue.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 5:56:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Since you guys don't think it's a problem, I ordered a double pistol pouch to test. Will report back with findings.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I use a triple pistol with M&P mags, which have a huge foot/claw for a base pad. I just put them in farthest back first and the curve makes it a non-issue. I use them in competition and have no issues.
They are great pouches.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Been using the Kywi's like the above for over 5 years now and never had an issue. I like them close together because my hand goes to the same place every time. As opposed to having pouches further apart and having to reach or feel around for them.
cp
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was going to be an issue too when I first got them, especially with the lip on M&P mags bust after some practice I found it wasn't an issue andmtheym work great.

I have a double pistol and double M4 on my belt and they are so much better than the tacos they replaced.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 1:11:40 PM EDT
[#11]
The floorplates of my Hi Power mags make slight contact when in the double KYWI and I am wearing the belt. It makes no difference drawing them, though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:06:53 PM EDT
[#12]
These expensive pouches don't come with Malice clips or anything like that?

You guys are going to have to wait a few more days for a test report...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top