Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2015 1:17:42 PM EDT
I'm going to be taking a AK class this fall. Right now I'm running a skd chest rig for my AR. I'm looking for something similar for my AK. I want something US made and multicam if possible. What's out there and what do you recommend?
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
When I got my SKD Pig plate carrier I went with the HSGI tacos.  The mag pouches hold everything I can fit in them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked one of from Strike hard Gear and its pretty nice with the "H" harness. I have yet to take a class with it , but it seems pretty decent for the price and it works fairly well with AR mags also.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:22:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a Haley Strategic D3CR.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:12:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. The DC3R will fit both 5.45 and 7.62 AK mags, though the latter are a bit tight.

There's a new DC3R, the Heavy, that's made for .308. If you're running 7.62 those might work better (I don't have one to try).
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought the SKD pig chest rig also fit AK mags.

I mean, far be it for me to say you can't get a new piece of gear, but just mentioning it.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:32:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
http://marcuswynne.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/img_2357.jpg

I mean, far be it for me to say you can't get a new piece of gear, but just mentioning it.
View Quote

This was my initial thought, too. But, by all means, get another chest rig if you can afford it - that way, you'll have a dedicated AK platform.

I use the OSOE AK/M4 Micro chest rig and it is absolutely tits. I used it in Afghanistan, as my primary weapon was an AK.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This. The DC3R will fit both 5.45 and 7.62 AK mags, though the latter are a bit tight.

There's a new DC3R, the Heavy, that's made for .308. If you're running 7.62 those might work better (I don't have one to try).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How tight do the 7.62 mags fit. Tight where they are a fight to get them out and back in easily? I looked at the DCR3 H model. I would really like to find out how they fit before spending money on one.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:46:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
http://marcuswynne.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/img_2357.jpg

View Quote

I will try it out to see how well it works. I really want to have a rig set up just for the AK. Given the amount of money I have tied up in gear annother chest rig really isn't too much extra to have a full time AK rig.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 6:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally designed to hold R4 mags... My dedicated AK platform is a South African Patt M83 chest rig in nutria brown....Holds 6 AK74 mags perfect... Not modular by any means, but it works for me!

I do believe they'll hold 47 mags as well!

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 7:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Originally designed to hold R4 mags... My dedicated AK platform is a South African Patt M83 chest rig in nutria brown....Holds 6 AK74 mags perfect... Not modular by any means, but it works for me!

View Quote

I'd love to get my hands on one of those, but they are either beat up, hard to find, or very expensive.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 8:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the SOE M4/AK Micro Rig. I added a single pistol mag pouch and a Marz Tactical TQ pouch to the outer MOLLE loops and it works great. Keeps crap out from under my arms, yet I still have four AK mags, a pistol mag, IFAK in the GP pouch and another easy access TQ, along with gloves hanging on a carabiner, and it all sits very comfortably even with the stock strap setup.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:08:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I picked one of from Strike hard Gear and its pretty nice with the "H" harness. I have yet to take a class with it , but it seems pretty decent for the price and it works fairly well with AR mags also.

View Quote

+1 Strikehard Gear

Used mine in a 2 day class. Worked great.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:33:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How tight do the 7.62 mags fit. Tight where they are a fight to get them out and back in easily? I looked at the DCR3 H model. I would really like to find out how they fit before spending money on one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The mags fit snug in the 5.56 pouches and I don't mean that in a bad way, I have not found them difficult to insert or draw.  I've used my DC3R with steel,  Tapco, and Magpul mags with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The mags fit snug in the 5.56 pouches and I don't mean that in a bad way, I have not found them difficult to insert or draw.  I've used my DC3R with steel,  Tapco, and Magpul mags with no issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do the retention bungies still work well with the AK mags? I might try the H version so I could also run it with my fal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:29:30 AM EDT
[#15]
They still work with 7.62 mags, just a bit tight. Here's a pic. That's a 30 round 5.56 Hexmag next to a 30 round 7.62x39 bakelite.

Haley Strategic has a sale going right now on both the D3CR and the D3CR Heavy...you can get both.

http://haleystrategic.com/republic_sale/
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:24:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'd love to get my hands on one of those, but they are either beat up, hard to find, or very expensive.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Vintage Operator Store.

"Excellent condition" for $40ish.

I just bought one "fair" for $35.

Also have repro Fereday and Sons Rhodesian chest rigs in khaki and OD green for $35.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:26:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Vintage Operator Store.

Also have repro Fereday and Sons Rhodesian chest rigs in khaki and OD green for $35.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vintage Operator Store.

That's where I bought mine from....
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:06:38 AM EDT
[#18]
You could just get a chest rig with nothing but a molle panel and add pouches how you see fit. I was hanging with the instructor yesterday that will be teaching your class
and he had some kind of AK rig that looked like it had a flectarn pattern. You may want to send him a IM and see what he suggests, he doesn't post here very much.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Do the retention bungies still work well with the AK mags? I might try the H version so I could also run it with my fal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The bungies do work. They also just came out with mag pouch inserts and Travis claims using them in the heavy you can secure 5.56 mags. I might get a heavy during the sale and get the inserts so I have one chest rig that supports my m14, AK, and AR.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have the SOE M4/AK Micro Rig. I added a single pistol mag pouch and a Marz Tactical TQ pouch to the outer MOLLE loops and it works great. Keeps crap out from under my arms, yet I still have four AK mags, a pistol mag, IFAK in the GP pouch and another easy access TQ, along with gloves hanging on a carabiner, and it all sits very comfortably even with the stock strap setup.
View Quote

Yes. Yes, indeed!

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the help. I will have to do some thinking about which I want. And keep an eye out for 4th of July specials.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#22]
This has my vote.
http://www.skdtac.com/Esstac-Chest-Rig-Bush-Boar-A1-p/ess.502.htm
I have a slick softarmor plate carrier that I put on under my outer garment. Then I slap this on top and add/remove pouches as I need. I hate being stuck with pouches I dont need. This lets me adjust accordingly and hugs the mags close to the body so you don't get stuck on shit.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Because of this thread I went ahead and ordered a HSP dc3r Heavy and the mp2 magazine pouch inserts. Very curious if it will hold the the 5.56 mags as well as they claim.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm eyeballing that exact setup. Have you got any pics of your rig? I found his website looking for SKS stripper clip carry options, gonna order a couple of the SKS bandoleers but I'm also in the market for an AK chest rig. His stuff looks pretty well made.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#25]
I will try and get some pics up tonight with various mags showing how the fit and all.

Link Posted: 7/20/2015 4:49:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I will try and get some pics up tonight with various mags showing how the fit and all.

View Quote

Sweet, thanks!
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:27:21 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I'm going to be taking a AK class this fall. Right now I'm running a skd chest rig for my AR. I'm looking for something similar for my AK. I want something US made and multicam if possible. What's out there and what do you recommend?
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#28]
The buckle quality was one area I was concerned about , but they appear to be well made and the stitching is done well also.

In this pic you can see the "pocket" wich again is well made and has velcro across it to secure it. You have to put some effort into opening it , so that tells me it will not be falling open or things slipping out during the wrong times.

I did not get a good pic of the "H" harness , but it will adjust well and I can see if you are a bigger guy that this will fit just fine. For me I'm 5' 8" and 155lbs and I can position this higher on my chest or the lower position just fine. To me the little extra for the "H" harness is well worth it.

This shows from left to right the mags and how they fit. The first is s standard type of AK mag , followed by a Bulgarian 74 mag and then the typical PMAG

The bungie can be adjusted somewhat as you can see some space or slop on the PMAG , but it does work.

Sorry about potato pics I just snapped a few quick ones after mowing the yard the other night. If there is a area of concern let me know and I can get a close up. I could also I guess put it on to show the fit, maybe tonight if I have a chance and the wife co operates with me
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The buckle quality was one area I was concerned about , but they appear to be well made and the stitching is done well also.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r303/sajer762/chest1_zpsutpakdzv.jpg

In this pic you can see the "pocket" wich again is well made and has velcro across it to secure it. You have to put some effort into opening it , so that tells me it will not be falling open or things slipping out during the wrong times.
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r303/sajer762/chest2_zpsngp4g0jy.jpg

I did not get a good pic of the "H" harness , but it will adjust well and I can see if you are a bigger guy that this will fit just fine. For me I'm 5' 8" and 155lbs and I can position this higher on my chest or the lower position just fine. To me the little extra for the "H" harness is well worth it.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r303/sajer762/chest3_zpss7jsuqnn.jpg

This shows from left to right the mags and how they fit. The first is s standard type of AK mag , followed by a Bulgarian 74 mag and then the typical PMAG

The bungie can be adjusted somewhat as you can see some space or slop on the PMAG , but it does work.

http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r303/sajer762/chest4_zps5crwbuuc.jpg

Sorry about potato pics I just snapped a few quick ones after mowing the yard the other night. If there is a area of concern let me know and I can get a close up. I could also I guess put it on to show the fit, maybe tonight if I have a chance and the wife co operates with me
View Quote

Looks good, thanks for the pics! Only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is I'm not sure whether to get OD green or Multicam.

First world problems right?
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#30]
If the wife cooperates, and you are so inclined pics with it on would be awesome, as we're about the same size. And maybe a shot of the H harness.

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the pics. I ended up getting another SKD CR. It's slightly different than the original. The 4th of July special they ran helped push me that way. I went ahead and bought the H harness add on. I need to load it up and see how it compares to the original.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#32]
Here is a few more and the wife wanted to model the rig. Reload my be an issue for her

Here it is on me , I know not as impressive.

You can see the adjustments for the back and the front and you can carry it low or raise it higher on the chest.

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 3:12:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Sweet googly moogly, that chest rig is ahh, really nice

Looks good, I'm sold. Just have to decide on OD green or multicam. Always kind of shied away from multicam because of all the gear queers but I'm kind of warming up to it.

Thanks for the pics, probably the high point of my day so far
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sweet googly moogly, that chest rig is ahh, really nice

Looks good, I'm sold. Just have to decide on OD green or multicam. Always kind of shied away from multicam because of all the gear queers but I'm kind of warming up to it.

Thanks for the pics, probably the high point of my day so far
View Quote

Glad we could help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top