Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2015 12:33:08 AM EDT
I bought a 5.11 Chest Rig a few years back

I'm starting to really appreciate its minimalist approach and low profile.

I really want to get more of them to set up.
But they don't make it any more, and I can't seem to find them in stock anywhere.

Anybody know of anything comparable in design, cost, quality, etc?

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:59:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Tactical Tailor makes a mini mav, it us similar in design, and TT makes quality gear, don't know about price though, the mini mav runs about $50

http://www.tacticaltailor.com/minimav.aspx

Specter gear also used to make one, but I don't see it listed on their site anymore.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Oh wow, idk how I missed that in their site
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:57:05 AM EDT
[#3]
HSGI and SORD also make mini chest rigs.

One thing about the mini rigs is that people seem to try to cramp a normal rigs amount of stuff onto a mini rig. You basically end up with a super thick mini chest rig
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tactical Tailor makes a mini mav, it us similar in design, and TT makes quality gear, don't know about price though, the mini mav runs about $50

Specter gear also used to make one, but I don't see it listed on their site anymore.
View Quote

TT also offers one in their Fight Light line. The Fight Light Mini-MAV is a little less expensive, has an internal map pocket (the regular Mini-MAV does not), and has 3 rows of PALS webbing across the full width of the panel (the regular Mini-MAV has 6 columns of 3 and 2 columns of 2 (1 on each end)), and is 500D Cordura (lighter than the regular Mini-MAV's 1000D).
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:15:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

One thing about the mini rigs is that people seem to try to cramp a normal rigs amount of stuff onto a mini rig. You basically end up with a super thick mini chest rig
View Quote

Ain't that the truth! A mini chest rig is great for a few rifle mags, a pistol mag or two, and one or two other items (IFAK, flashlight, etc). They're designed to allow you to carry just enough stuff for a short engagement, not a full-scale assault.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
If you get a mini mav, make sure you get the fight light version.  It's leaps and bounds better than the standard version.  I found that if you use pouches with malice clips on the standard mini mav, the bottom of the clips dig into your stomach.  The fight light version has strips of padding on the inside the prevents this from happening.  The harness has a qd buckle at every attachment point where the standard mav does not.

Here's my Fight Light Mini Mav

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:34:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Love my HSGI small chest rig. I keep it simple with 2 rifle mags, 1 pistol mag and am looking to put a small IFAK on it and call it done.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:38:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

My take on this is that a properly set-up war belt is a better choice than any sort of mini chest rig.  By "properly set-up", I mean that the belt's pouches are not more than one item in thickness (depth), and that the WB has low-profile suspenders suitable for wear under a PC.

If, for some reason, you must use a mini chest rig, then consider that the greater the thickness (depth) of the stacked items attached, the more problematic it will be to obtain a proper prone position.  If you must double stack on your mini chest rig, then either shed some gear, or obtain a bigger platform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth! A mini chest rig is great for a few rifle mags, a pistol mag or two, and one or two other items (IFAK, flashlight, etc). They're designed to allow you to carry just enough stuff for a short engagement, not a full-scale assault.

My take on this is that a properly set-up war belt is a better choice than any sort of mini chest rig.  By "properly set-up", I mean that the belt's pouches are not more than one item in thickness (depth), and that the WB has low-profile suspenders suitable for wear under a PC.

If, for some reason, you must use a mini chest rig, then consider that the greater the thickness (depth) of the stacked items attached, the more problematic it will be to obtain a proper prone position.  If you must double stack on your mini chest rig, then either shed some gear, or obtain a bigger platform.

The difference is that a properly set up mini rig can be worn under a light jacket, in order to maintain a discrete look. War belts usually sit low enough that they can't do the same.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a Mini MAV with a TT 3 mag and single mag pouch on it. Very comfortable and all the space you need with nothing you don't.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you get a mini mav, make sure you get the fight light version.  It's leaps and bounds better than the standard version.  I found that if you use pouches with malice clips on the standard mini mav, the bottom of the clips dig into your stomach.  The fight light version has strips of padding on the inside the prevents this from happening.  The harness has a qd buckle at every attachment point where the standard mav does not.

Here's my Fight Light Mini Mav

<a href="http://s222.photobucket.com/user/toyota16/media/6DE1EC27-9D79-47F8-8650-0E59DB35BA1F.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd249/toyota16/6DE1EC27-9D79-47F8-8650-0E59DB35BA1F.jpg</a>
View Quote

Can I trouble you for the measurements of the interior of the map pocket?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top