Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2015 3:23:39 PM EDT
Hey arfcom, is bodyproofme still the go to for decent level 4 plates for the price? I know there are past threads on this subject but I haven't seen any for a couple months. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a set from bulletproofme for $220 ish per.

is that the one you meant?
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Midwest industries proguard IV with coupon 'MAC' is $330 shipped

Galls.com Max Pro Level IV plates made by ceradyne for $330 shipped with 20% coupon on their site

HighCom 4SAS-7 level IV plates in SAPI M for $330 shipped or $250 shipped with shooters cut with coupon code 'USAMADE'

you're welcome!
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 9:21:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Galls.com Max Pro Level IV plates made by ceradyne for $330 shipped with 20% coupon on their site

HighCom 4SAS-7 level IV plates in SAPI M for $330 shipped or $250 shipped with shooters cut with coupon code 'USAMADE'

you're welcome!
View Quote

Midwest industries VS HighCom...which would you pick? I'm leaning towards highcom but im not 100% because they aren't 06 certified
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:25:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Midwest industries VS HighCom...which would you pick? I'm leaning towards highcom but im not 100% because they aren't 06 certified
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're welcome!

I'm no expert but I've been researching for hours per day the last two weeks...

From my understanding the major difference is the nij level which is 06 for the Midwest plates. The 06 spec adds more rounds per testing batch, more samples
Per batch, and requires better strike face protection for the plates so they don't crack as easily from use.

The 06 spec is obviously better, but the nij 2005 interim and similar recent testing specs are plenty good and will suit any weekend warrior like myself just fine.

The max pro plates I mentioned that galls sells are actual LE issue plates used by departments
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

From my understanding the major difference is the nij level which is 06 for the Midwest plates. The 06 spec adds more rounds per testing batch, more samples
Per batch, and requires better strike face protection for the plates so they don't crack as easily from use.

The 06 spec is obviously better, but the nij 2005 interim and similar recent testing specs are plenty good and will suit any weekend warrior like myself just fine.

The max pro plates I mentioned that galls sells are actual LE issue plates used by departments
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're welcome!

Yeah this seems like a really hard choice. I'm trying to figure out if the extra $80 is worth having the NIJ 06 verse the 05 interim. At this price point $80 is a big difference between the two.

I work as an EMT in a big city and am putting together an Active Shooter rig on a budget so I am trying to determine if the extra cash is worth it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#6]
ESAPIs they work great and can be found used at very cheap prices
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah this seems like a really hard choice. I'm trying to figure out if the extra $80 is worth having the NIJ 06 verse the 05 interim. At this price point $80 is a big difference between the two.

I work as an EMT in a big city and am putting together an Active Shooter rig on a budget so I am trying to determine if the extra cash is worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're welcome!

One thing to consider, is that the Max Pro plates that galls has, are triple curve and SAPI M sized. So not only are they more protective by a few square inches vs 'civilian shooters cut' plates, they are triple curved to fit your body which IMO is much more comfortable.

None of the other companies such as highcom or midwest make a level iv ceramic triple curve...The regular single curve SAPI level IV ceramic plates are sort of cumbersome.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 4:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

One thing to consider, is that the Max Pro plates that galls has, are triple curve and SAPI M sized. So not only are they more protective by a few square inches vs 'civilian shooters cut' plates, they are triple curved to fit your body which IMO is much more comfortable.

None of the other companies such as highcom or midwest make a level iv ceramic triple curve...The regular single curve SAPI level IV ceramic plates are sort of cumbersome.
View Quote

Highcom has multi-curve shooters cut plates, is that not the same thing as triple curve?

And I already own a Shellback Banshee that I have soft armor in so I believe I need to stick with 10x12 plates.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Highcom has multi-curve shooters cut plates, is that not the same thing as triple curve?

And I already own a Shellback Banshee that I have soft armor in so I believe I need to stick with 10x12 plates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry, I meant no one makes a SAPI sized plate with triple curve/multi curve. If shooters cut is your thing and it will fit fine in your carrier, I would go for the highcom's.

I use a Crye JPC which is cut specifically for the larger 'spec size' SAPI M plates so I can't use the smaller shooters cut plates which have less material circumference.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 6:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Sorry, I meant no one makes a SAPI sized plate with triple curve/multi curve. If shooters cut is your thing and it will fit fine in your carrier, I would go for the highcom's.

I use a Crye JPC which is cut specifically for the larger 'spec size' SAPI M plates so I can't use the smaller shooters cut plates which have less material circumference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of those companies make a SAPI sized plate in triple-curve. They don't all make them with those specs in the low-cost models.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:50:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Does anyone know what size SAPIs fit in the Banshee?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

SAPI M is 10x12 , so those.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

SAPI Medium is 9.5"x12.5"

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're going with Highcom, the 10x12 multi-curve shooter's cut fit well in a Banshee.
(I’m very happy with the plates and the customer service I got from Highcom.)
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Nope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Close enough in a banshee...in a JPC that's a different story.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If you're going with Highcom, the 10x12 multi-curve shooter's cut fit well in a Banshee.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to hear, I'm really swaying towards the Highcoms
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 7:22:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I too am happy with Banshee/Highcom they are a nice set of gear and work well together

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I just got my max pro plates from galls....they're nice. Made by 3M apparently.

Only issue is galls packaged them like shit and i'm just hoping theyre not cracked- I doubt they are from just shipping them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Only issue is galls packaged them like shit and i'm just hoping theyre not cracked- I doubt they are from just shipping them.
View Quote

Ouch. That's never a good thing. I don't understand why proper packaging for armor is so difficult for some companies.

Anyway, just as an FYI, 3M owns Ceradyne now.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Ouch. That's never a good thing. I don't understand why proper packaging for armor is so difficult for some companies.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So then they are in fact 3M/ceradyne plates.

i tried to break them with my hands...they didn't snap in half so I think I'm good
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 6:47:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

you're welcome!
View Quote

What is the coupon code for Galls?  Thinking of jumping on the Max Pro. Thanks
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 10:08:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you're welcome!

It was a valentines day coupon code...Galls puts one out every 30 days or so for 15-20% off...you just have to catch it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#24]
These look pretty nice.........great price point and yes ceramic

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_90/1361365_AR500_Armor__Level_IV_Body_Armor____155.html
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
These look pretty nice.........great price point and yes ceramic

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_90/1361365_AR500_Armor__Level_IV_Body_Armor____155.html
View Quote

I'm sure they work fine- but they are not NIJ certified. They may be 'tested to NIJ specs' or 'tested with NIJ rounds' or something of the sort- but they will not show up in the listing of approved manufacturers and active tested equiptment in the NIJ database.

YMMV if you want that piece of mind or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top