Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2015 1:51:14 AM EDT
So I have the unfortunate dilemma of being short. I wear a war belt to great extents but want to start getting into something different, and with more protection. I know already from all the measurements I need small plates, but the carriers out there look huge and I have absolutely no place to try anything on before I blow cash on something. I've narrowed everything down to the Mayflower APC with small everything, First Spear AAC, or the Pig Systema carrier. Anybody mind putting in their input?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:54:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Being short and having a PC is probably going to cause some hangups with the gear. How high does your stuff rise above the belt?
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd being ditching the 1st line war belt altogether in favor of a belt holster and just kydex for pistol mags on my support side.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:47:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is a small APC. Its hard to read the scale on the crappy picture, but from the bottom of the plate carrier to the top edge is about 15". Measure from where your collar bones come together (this is there the top edge of the plate should ride) and measure down from there. That will give you an idea where the plate carrier will ride. The other options you listed are probably going to be similar.

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Your local National Guard armory will get you properly kitted out for free, teach you how to use everything for free AND throw in an overseas tax-free vacation, to boot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:45:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Google and Youtube are your best resource out there. When you find a PC you like, google it and look at the images section of people wearing it. That will give you an idea of the gaps between the bottom and the warbelt. Also lots of gear reviews on Youtube. And even call up the company selling the PC and talk them. Tell them your concerns. Crye really helped me a ton when ordering my CPC. Read reviews on the website if they have any.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up an "Active Shooter Response Kit" from KDH (http://www.kdhdefensesystems.com/products/law-enforcement/concealable/active-shooter-response-kit) to keep in my personal car. I wanted a slimmed down carrier with stand-alones and a few mags. It's six rows of molle across total. I have it set up with a set of BFG whisper pistol and rifle mag pouches, TQ, and two sets of flexcufffs on the back. Price was right for SA level IV and a carrier, but don't know if they do civilian sales.

I put it on one of my "warrior sized" partners and it was damn near full coverage for him. I wear medium plates so for me it's just cover what's important. Might be worth taking a look.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd being ditching the 1st line war belt altogether in favor of a belt holster and just kydex for pistol mags on my support side.
View Quote

Ok, Just be prepared for the chance you may have to go drop leg on both of those depending on how low the PC will fit you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Ok, Just be prepared for the chance you may have to go drop leg on both of those depending on how low the PC will fit you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See that's the whole point, it almost does me no good to buy one until I can find someone locally who has the same problems as myself and see what worked for them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#10]
How short are you? I'm 5'4/140LBS and I use a war belt in conjunction with a TAG banshee and 10x12s (I do have an 8x10 on the way to replace my front plate though.)
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 8:58:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your local National Guard armory will get you properly kitted out for free, teach you how to use everything for free AND throw in an overseas tax-free vacation, to boot.
View Quote

Not everyone makes the cut. I got shot down for having a hay allergy I regretfully mentioned
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How short are you? I'm 5'4/140LBS and I use a war belt in conjunction with a TAG banshee and 10x12s (I do have an 8x10 on the way to replace my front plate though.)
View Quote

We are the same height. Weight range as well, but I'm stocky and show it in my shoulders and chest. How do you like your Banshee?
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 9:20:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We are the same height. Weight range as well, but I'm stocky and show it in my shoulders and chest. How do you like your Banshee?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like it. The cummerbund is a little bit big for me, but it still works. I only have two complaints about the design.

The shoulder buckles make shouldering a rifle a little difficult, I've gotten used to it so it's not too bad. Practice it, and find your sweet spot.

The way you have to put it on, is there's a flap on the front that the cummerbund goes under, then you tuck a flap back up under the carrier towards you. It's not very fast, and a little bit of a pain in the ass because I have to suck in to get my stomach/chest back enough from carrier to shove that flap back under to the velcro.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top