Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2015 8:50:02 PM EDT
How do you carry your plate carrier and other gear around?

Our house only has a one car garage...wife has use of that so I park in the driveway.
I'm a police officer, but try NOT to advertise that fact around the neighborhood since we live in a cut through area and there is a ALOT of transient traffic.

I'm looking for a way to take my plate carrier to/from work in a discreet manner so that random people driving past my house as I'm heading out to work dont realize that I'm a cop, or wonder why I would have body armor etc....

I wont leave it in the car since the car is parked in the driveway and I have mags attached to the plate carrier.

Leaving it at work really isnt an option as it wont fit in my locker and I cant leave it out where it would get rat fucked....

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#1]
At a military surplus store you can find a pilots helmet bag. Plenty of room for a PC. Also TYR tactical makes vehicle storage bags : http://www.tyrtactical.com/products/list/vehicle-storage-bags/backpacks-bags/
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever brightly colored gym bag walmart has on sale.

Toss a disgusting old shirt on top.

Aint sexy, but its cheap, and works.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I just leave my body armor in the passenger seat.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Easton coaches baseball bag that had wheels for $8 at Ross. Fits my carrier, battle belt, boots, some misc gear and even my rifle where the bat section is.  I wanted something descreet as well and figured $8 why not. I need to reinforce the handles to hold the weight but good to go. Hit Ross, see what they have.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:22:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I use an aviators kit bag, but there's some extra room in there even with 1 PC, 1 CIRAS, 1 belt, 1 helmet, small med bag (about the size of a buttpack), and a random assortment of additional pouches.  It's also a bit awkward to carry.  I keep meaning to take it over to the riggers to have them sew on some metal D-rings so I can put a shoulder strap on it but I keep forgetting.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Duffel bag/ gym bag.  

I have this bright red bag that I haul my gear in. Sort of looks like an oversize purse/gym bag hybrid lmao. The guys make fun of it but no one suspects anything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you very much for the info guys.....

Definitely some lower cost options that I had not even thought of.

I'm liking the Aviator Kit bags, and the gym duffel bag ideas....

Neither of those scream "TACTI-COOL STUFF INSIDE!" and both can be had inexpensively.....
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:42:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Just be careful.  Many of the store brand gym bags were not designed to hold 60 pounds of gear and will rip.  You don't want to drop your plates.   I would get a load out bag or something similar from a military surplus store.   SKD sells new bags made for carrying body armor and it even holds your helmet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 5:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]

There are large patrol bags out there that will hold such gear and still leave room for shift work stuff like paperwork and extra clothes or whatever.  One large self-contained bag makes it easy and turnkey.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you very much for the info guys.....

Definitely some lower cost options that I had not even thought of.

I'm liking the Aviator Kit bags, and the gym duffel bag ideas....

Neither of those scream "TACTI-COOL STUFF INSIDE!" and both can be had inexpensively.....
View Quote

If you want a low-profile option, hockey bags are good too.  I use kits bags though.
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 12:52:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Go to goodwill and get a rolling suitcase. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:54:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Army green canvas duffel from the army/navy store. I put a piece of thin wood the size of the duffel bag for rigidity.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:28:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Old dirty looking Laundry bag, Bonus points if you can get one with a uniform providing company's logo on it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:07:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Go to goodwill and get a rolling suitcase. Problem solved.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
If it's just a PC you're carrying out to you car, couldn't you put it on a beefed up hanger and put a button up shirt over it so it looks like you're taking a spare shirt?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top