Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 12:36:09 AM EDT
Evening all.

Any suggestions or favorites for daily-wear, low-pro sunglasses (think Oakley or Wiley) that are ballistic rated? My old Oakleys are about ready to enter the duct tape stage.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:33:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Sinice you have a tank next to your name why not oakleysi?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:51:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Oakley is always the correct answer. Go to usstandardissue.com for great discounts direct from the factory.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:50:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sinice you have a tank next to your name why not oakleysi?
View Quote

YUP

Edit: I have the Ballistic M Frame 3.0 for range use, but looking at something more stylish. The Ballistic Det Cord looks pretty slick.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Edit: Hit the wrong button.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Fair question.

I'm freakishly tall, and Oakleys aren't always the best fit for me. Was just curious what the hive tended to lean towards.

Appreciate the feedback.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:17:22 PM EDT
[#6]
if you have great vision (NO astigmatism), then find whatever brand/style (ballistic rated) that suits
your fancy.

However...

If your vision is not so great, get Oakley, period. Their lenses are more optically correct than the others.

I have owned/used ESS, Wiley X, Revision, and Oakley. All do a great job protecting my eyes, but, only Oakley
offers me undistorted vision.

Do  a comparison and "see" for yourself.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I have several pair of Oakleys and have been happy with them. I also have some Smith Optics that I like just as much or better.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:53:59 PM EDT
[#8]
ess supressors are the best thing I've found for use under ear protection with the thin flexible arms.  great coverage and stops very fast moving projectiles.

this coupon code will give you 40% off

TG2009VA
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:02:07 AM EDT
[#9]
My favorite are oakleys but i went with ESS this time to save some money, they are good but not as nice. but are like half the price. btw i need prescription lenses so thats the main cost issue
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:28:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the suggestions all, gives me a couple more options.

And something to look at the next time the S.O. drags me to the nearest mall...
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:49:03 AM EDT
[#11]
You don't really have that many options for sunglasses that meet MIL-PRF ballistic standards besides the big few: Oakley, ESS, Wiley, Smith Optics, or Bolle.

Personally, I'm rocking a pair of Gatorz. High CDI factor.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:40:25 AM EDT
[#12]
If you get a chance to check out smith optics, if you need under earmuff check out their aegis echo, they are not as comfortable due to smaller area contacting your ear if worn without muffs. I also have a version of the pivlock glasses and they are pretty nice too. If you are mil and  leo/ems/fire they do their smith pro, which is 50% off anything they sell once you sign up.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:58:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Didn't know Smith had a program like that.  I'm a big fan of their stuff, of course I'm a bit biased.  I used to be one of their sponsored athletes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#14]
I picked up these Wiley X's, I like them, big enough for my head, stick on well no movement, comfortable, even under ear pro, haven't noticed any distortion. Complaints, they seem to scratch very easy, I've worn Spys for years and after 3-5 years the lenses are in better shape than these after 6 months.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I like ESS and Wiley X .
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I have Oakley SI and Wileyx.  I like them both, the wileyx scratched easier though.  However, they were significantly cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Liquid Eyewear with the Hellfire lens.   The hellfire S17 84 LTD lens is ballistic rated. They are light to dark and change with the sun. So you may not like that.

Liquid Hellfire Lens
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:39:14 PM EDT
[#18]
I like Smith Eyewear. They make great stuff.

The Pivlock is my favorite. I've got a bunch of pairs in different colored frames. Orange, Clear, Neon Green, etc... If you wear them while running or biking, it has been scientifically proven you will be faster and win all kinds of trophies.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 3:26:27 AM EDT
[#19]
3M, $10 at Lowes.  The tinted ones are also UV rated.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
3M, $10 at Lowes.  The tinted ones are also UV rated.
View Quote

This. I lose/break sunglasses weekly. Long since learned to keep several pairs of inexpensive brands on stand-by.

Carhart has a line also, very comfortable, $8/pair. IIRC
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 10:48:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Fair question.

I'm freakishly tall, and Oakleys aren't always the best fit for me. Was just curious what the hive tended to lean towards.

Appreciate the feedback.
View Quote

Oak's.  The M-Frame has three different sizes of lenses to accommodate different faces I'd recommend looking on the site and seeing which ones might fit you and try to test those next time you hit the mall.  Then US standard issue as a .mil and you can't beat it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top