Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2014 10:58:11 PM EDT
Has anyone here used these plates? Seller on ebay has them for $108 shipped. I already ordered them, and if no one here has any information to give I'll shoot them up and review them. If anyone does have experience I would appreciate input to save myself the money. Seemed like a really good price for a similar product to what AR500.com has

Link
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks like a non-certified steel plate with a polyurea coating.  NIJ tested doesn't mean NIJ Certified.  Vague and misleading description makes me say no-go.  Have fun shooting it!
CHRIS
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#2]
$85

Little bit more if you get the build up, I think 110

Rather get it from this place, which did the testing than some no name
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$85

Little bit more if you get the build up, I think 110

Rather get it from this place, which did the testing than some no name
View Quote

I was planning on getting the AR500 plates, but it was one of those late night and a 6 pack down purchases. I may just hang these at my range for targets.
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I ordered a pair like a month and a half ago.

After ordering, I saw a screenshot of a comment on FB from another manufacturer of AR500 armor accusing CATI of stealing their bending process, essentially claiming CATI copied their method of bending and Line-Xing.

Although if true it's a douchey move and I wouldn't have ordered from them knowing it, it actually makes me feel a little bit better in terms of the quality/effectiveness of their product

FWIW, the CATI plates appear to be a good quality product. Bend looks nice and consistent, sizing is correct, overall thickness of the plate is consistent for a Line-X'd AR500 plate, etc..
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 7:06:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

After ordering, I saw a screenshot of a comment on FB from another manufacturer of AR500 armor accusing CATI of stealing their bending process, essentially claiming CATI copied their method of bending and Line-Xing.

Although if true it's a douchey move and I wouldn't have ordered from them knowing it, it actually makes me feel a little bit better in terms of the quality/effectiveness of their product

FWIW, the CATI plates appear to be a good quality product. Bend looks nice and consistent, sizing is correct, overall thickness of the plate is consistent for a Line-X'd AR500 plate, etc..
View Quote

Would you bet your life on it? I'm probably going to shoot one with some 308 at about 25 yards just to see what it does. If it holds up, I'll probably order a replacement form AR500.com, and just use the other CATI plate as a back plate, and keep shooting the other one.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Would you bet your life on it? I'm probably going to shoot one with some 308 at about 25 yards just to see what it does. If it holds up, I'll probably order a replacement form AR500.com, and just use the other CATI plate as a back plate, and keep shooting the other one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I can't make that decision for you, but CATI does claim their products have been tested and do comply with NIJ standards. I'm not going to replace mine with other AR500 plates, but I may replace them with Level IV some day.
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

If that were true, then they all stole the bending and coating process from me, because I experimented with it years before AR500 Armor existed as a business. Then I decided it was shit for armor and we stopped producing it.

But if they want to dig a little further, I can point them to people who were using press brakes to form "curves" in steel even before that, just as I could point out that polyurea coatings on rifle plates was around during my earliest industry days.

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If that were true, then they all stole the bending and coating process from me, because I experimented with it years before AR500 Armor existed as a business. Then I decided it was shit for armor and we stopped producing it.

But if they want to dig a little further, I can point them to people who were using press brakes to form "curves" in steel even before that, just as I could point out that polyurea coatings on rifle plates was around during my earliest industry days.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why is it shit for armor?
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 10:40:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/14/2014 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Why get AR500 plates when Ceramic is the best?
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Why get AR500 plates when Ceramic is the best?
View Quote

I don't have the money for ceramic, and odds are I'll never have to use the plates in the first place. But they'll be nice to have just in case.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm sad to say that within the AR500 Steel Body Armor Sellers Community (Mouth full) they have some shady characters operating; claiming to be wholesome.
Without adding too much to the slander (2) of the 8-10 major suppliers come from dubious beginnings.

Company 1:  Allegedly stole sourcing paperwork off the desk of their existing supplier to then go up line to source direct.
-They also trademarked a common term used for describing this armor and maliciously attacked other sellers.  Wheedling this TM, they have attempted to ban the use of this term by competitors to describe their listing on auction sites.  

Company 2: Ordered a single plate from TTM and then recreated an exact replica to start competitively selling.
-https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=234054920051016&story_fbid=403939519729221
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:09:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm sad to say that within the AR500 Steel Body Armor Sellers Community (Mouth full) they have some shady characters operating; claiming to be wholesome.
Without adding too much to the slander (2) of the 8-10 major suppliers come from dubious beginnings.

Company 1:  Allegedly stole sourcing paperwork off the desk of their existing supplier to then go up line to source direct.
-They also trademarked a common term used for describing this armor and maliciously attacked other sellers.  Wheedling this TM, they have attempted to ban the use of this term by competitors to describe their listing on auction sites.  

Company 2: Ordered a single plate from TTM and then recreated an exact replica to start competitively selling.
-https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?id=234054920051016&story_fbid=403939519729221
View Quote

With a name like 'BodyArmor' with one post, care to divulge who you are?

eta: Nevermind. Body Armor Mega Store.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:26:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#16]
^^This^^  I challenge you guys, if you guys take any classes and train in steel you'll get rid of them the first chance you get
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:47:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Frankly, I just saved up and bought Lvl IV stand-alone ceramic plates from SKD when they had a group buy.

I suggest that you do similar.  There are very important reasons why steel plates are not bought by the Mil or police.

When the price of anti-spall backers is included into the purchase price of steel plates, the price difference shrinks dramatically.

Assuming you want the heavier steel plates, and the additional weight of anti-spall backers, just where does the impacting round go?  With ceramic plates, the bullet's energy is absorbed within the plate., and damages that particular portion of the ceramic plate.

With steel plates, and assuming no potentially injurious spall (damage to the steel plate) from the back of the plate, the bullet ricochets somewhere and with some velocity.  Might be your arms, legs, or throat.

Again, the Mil and cops don't buy steel plates, and there are good reasons for their not doing so.
View Quote

I mean no disrespect, but do you know why there's an anti-spall lining? Technically, "spall" is an incorrect usage of the term to describe the high speed fragments that ricochet off of the front of the plate. It has nothing to do with soft armor "backers" in the traditional sense, paired with ceramic plates. They are placed, or coated, on the front of the plate facing outward to catch the "spall"/fragments, and keep them from hitting you in the neck or face. Again, little to do with "backing" the steel plate.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh, man... seriously?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I mean no disrespect, but do you know why there's an anti-spall lining? Technically, "spall" is an incorrect usage of the term to describe the high speed fragments that ricochet off of the front of the plate. It has nothing to do with soft armor "backers" in the traditional sense, paired with ceramic plates. They are placed, or coated, on the front of the plate facing outward to catch the "spall"/fragments, and keep them from hitting you in the neck or face. Again, little to do with "backing" the steel plate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frankly, I just saved up and bought Lvl IV stand-alone ceramic plates from SKD when they had a group buy.

I suggest that you do similar.  There are very important reasons why steel plates are not bought by the Mil or police.

When the price of anti-spall backers is included into the purchase price of steel plates, the price difference shrinks dramatically.

Assuming you want the heavier steel plates, and the additional weight of anti-spall backers, just where does the impacting round go?  With ceramic plates, the bullet's energy is absorbed within the plate., and damages that particular portion of the ceramic plate.

With steel plates, and assuming no potentially injurious spall (damage to the steel plate) from the back of the plate, the bullet ricochets somewhere and with some velocity.  Might be your arms, legs, or throat.

Again, the Mil and cops don't buy steel plates, and there are good reasons for their not doing so.

It should actually be called an anti-splatter liner but a lot of people use the word "spall" interchangeably (and incorrectly).

I don't trust Line-X or other liners on steel but that's a long story which when told is sure to make someone get butt hurt, purses will start swinging, and... it's just ugly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top