Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/1/2014 9:51:36 AM EDT
I want to buy some plates and vest but I see all these deals online and have no idea what sizes to look at. I have bought some chest rigs in the past and they end up not fitting right. I have an hsgi belt with tacos as my main set up. But all the vests I have used sit to low for my belt setup to work. I am pretty tall too. 6'3". This seems like something I would want to try on first before buying but nowhere in town sells any. What can I do?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Search the Tac Gear forum there's been a number of threads pertaining to this - some recent.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Search the Tac Gear forum there's been a number of threads pertaining to this - some recent.

View Quote

My issue is wanting to try it on. It's like shoes
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Plate carriers are like shoes but plates you can measure for.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:50:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Here is what I did. Took the specs of medium and large plates and cut out pieces of cardboard. Used 2 pieces of 550 cord to act as make shift shoulder straps and then tried on my different "plates"

According to this thread:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_10/349140_Proper_wear_of_Hard_Armor__with_anatomical_diagrams_.html medium size plates work for myself, so that what I ordered. The large would have worked, but I did notice problems when trying to form a 2 handed pistol grip.

As far as plate carriers go, I don't really see a lot of difference between the quality brands. Could be wrong on that, but it seems that a plate carrier is a plate carrier.

Edit: This is the plate carrier that I have: https://www.diamondbacktactical.com/store/plate_carriers/

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Lots if differences but the good ones are all quality. I like minimalist stuff
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]
are there any that are short enough to not be a problem with my hsgi war belt?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 2:48:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most normal PC's will not interfere with a war belt.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the voodoo tactical one does not work with it. even with the shoulder straps all the way tight. are there any good brands people recommend?
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:11:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I really don't think you could go wrong with any of the name brands like Mayflower, Velocity, Tyr, Crye, Tag, etc.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're over 6', and wear your carrier appropriately high, it won't interfere with your belt.  Provided of course, that it's a quality carrier.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you're over 6', and wear your carrier appropriately high, it won't interfere with your belt.  Provided of course, that it's a quality carrier.
View Quote

What size should I order? I wear a Large Tshirt. Normally a large Tall if they have it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Badfish25 already provided the link to sizing your plates to your body.  Your t-shirt, suit, pants, etc size does not matter, only how much of your vitals are covered.  Find what size plates you need based on that then look for a quality carrier that is sized to take the plates.  It really is that simple.  Some plate carriers such as the Mayflower APC take into account your waist size for the cummerbund, but most seem to be a one-size-fits-most except for sizing it to the plates.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top