Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2014 1:11:43 AM EDT
So I think I'd get an 11x14 plate in the front, curved  with the shooters cut,
Question #1
Is 11x14 going to limit my options on a carrier very much? I'm thinking of a lower profile carrier, potentially something from Mayflower.

In the back,
question #2
What cut should I get, square, Shooters? Curved or flat?
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:01:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes 11x14 is considered Extra Large,I have 10x12 plates curved shooters cut and they're comfy
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Tag since I'm also shopping for my first set of plates.

FWIW, the thread I had in GD someone suggested that the rear plate should be curved.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 9:45:23 AM EDT
[#3]
There's been a couple of threads where this type of stuff has been discussed.

How tall are you?  11 x 14 may not be needed.

Most folks go with single or multi curve shooters cut both front and back.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#4]
As stated 11x14 only if you're a big guy, the plate should be essentially from nipple to nipple and to right above the belly button.  Go with shooters cut front and back and mult curve. I've got single curve and they are good could be better.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

6'6" 275 so I just took a wild guess on the plate size, I looked around for a while to find the answer before posting, but i'll admit I'm weak at searches. That's good info for sure though. Keep the input coming.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:12:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

6'6" 275 so I just took a wild guess on the plate size, I looked around for a while to find the answer before posting, but i'll admit I'm weak at searches. That's good info for sure though. Keep the input coming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At that size you'll want the 11x14. Most plate carriers come sized in small, medium, large, XL, etc and will tell you what size of plates they can accommodate.

I saw recently on AR500 Armor's facebook they posted that the threshold for most people to step up to the 11x14 plate is 250 pounds.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I agree with above. Step up to the 11X14 size, curved front and back. Multi curve is better than single curve (including on the back).
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ya well 11 x 14 it is then.

Edit maybe you can use the 10 x 12 for side protection.

Link Posted: 8/31/2014 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I went with 11x14 curved front and back from ar500.com with the extra build up coating.  I am using the PIG BRIG from SKD.  I got the XL size and the plates fit great.

Oh and I'm 6'8'' 260 lbs and I think the plate is the perfect size.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#10]
So is shooters cut really superior for the front plate when shouldering a rifle over esapi cut?

It seems esapi has a bit more coverage so it may be a good option for the back plate since shouldering a rifle isn't going on back there.

But then I wonder if mixing plates would make the carrier ride/feel different or weird?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So is shooters cut really superior for the front plate when shouldering a rifle over esapi cut?

It seems esapi has a bit more coverage so it may be a good option for the back plate since shouldering a rifle isn't going on back there.

But then I wonder if mixing plates would make the carrier ride/feel different or weird?
View Quote

Bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top