Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 7:35:39 PM EDT
So i was given this chest rig and holster that uses molle to attach to the rig both are made from the same company and go together. I was told these are current USGI issue, any info would be appreciated and maybe a value on it

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The chest rig is called a "Tactical Assault Panel," or "TAP" for short - it's designed to be able to be used both as a chest rig with the supplied straps that you have, or using the same connectors, be attached to the issued armor or plate carrier.

The version you have is "OCP" or "Operation Enduring Freedom Camouflage Pattern," AKA MultiCam (not to be confused with the very similar upcoming "Operational Camouflage Pattern" OCP in the "Scorpion W2" pattern).  The PALS webbing on the TAP is a "specially developed" pattern for use on Army OCIE that uses more or less the same camouflage elements of MultiCam, but omits on of (IIRC) five colors used in actual MultiCam, and thus saving the cost of purchasing additional material in licensed MultiCam while not simply being solid color bands across the camouflaged equipment.  

The TAP is also manufactured in "Coyote" for the USMC, and is "designed" to be used with the IOTV, IMTV, SPCS, and SPC, though it can pretty much be used on anything as long as you use the proper connectors.  

The holster is usually just known as the "Universal Holster," as it can be adjusted through a wide range to fit various different types of sidearms, as well as accommodating a pistol mounted light.  

Both are just various issued OCIE items of the type that an Army (or Army attached) soldier would receive going through RFI before deploying to OEF, and "go together" only insofar as they may be issued as part of a larger "suite" of MOLLE equipment, but they are not, strictly speaking, "mated" to one another or specifically designed to be used with one another as individual items.  

As far as value goes, I have no clue on MSRP, but IIRC, I've seen TAPs tend to go anywhere from $30-$60 or so, but others may know those numbers better than I.  No clue on the holster, though I have one in UCP - it also comes/can come with more accessory items to be used as a "drop leg" system, or can be direct mounted using the PALS - it's actually a pretty adaptable and user friendly system, I just tend to find it bulky, and prefer kydex based holsters personally, but it's definitely a useful item to have if you have several different pistols/pistol configurations and don't want to buy expensive, fitted kydex or leather holsters for all of them.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow Augee I really appreciate the thorough info you have given
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 9:32:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Multicam TAPs go for $35 at my local surplus store
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#4]
The TAP is a pretty neat rig; I got to use one in 2010-2011 and really appreciated that ability it gave me to scale what I did/didn't wear on my IOTV.  I ended up picking one up in perfect condition from a friend and now plan on using that as part of my primary gear for shooting/classes, etc.  I'm plotting some mods similar to the ones posted on here about a year ago wherein users fabricated their own bungee retention to replace the Velcro flaps (which tend to be unfriendly for non-USGI mags).  

Also, I hate that webbing pattern and am glad the TAP I scored has actual multicam webbing.  I think someone in the Army should be held accountable for what was essentially a secret fielding of an entirely new, untested pattern.  Personally it reminds me of some el-cheapo duck hunter camo you'd see in the sportsman's aisle back in the 1980s.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I love the TAP set up and that is all I run on my issued IOTV. I used it the last time I was here and am using it again, like what was said it really helps to stream line your set up and I like how I can have all of my mag's in a flat row going across my IOTV or PC and I could reach everyone of them with no problems. I also likes that I could shove shit in the back pockets of it with no problems; I plan on picking up two more of them when I can fine them for myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top