Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 7:10:55 PM EDT
What do most of you do? Pile it on the floor, a shelf, or hang it in the closet?

I'm thinking I'd like to hang mine up, but we have those HD style wire shelves - between those and the standard plastic hanger, I'm wondering about the weight when you have three sets of plates hung. I don't want the shelf or armor crashing down in the middle of the night.

My wife is tired of me turning the downstairs office closet into a mini armory.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:59:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

holy shit, do I have to hang a rainbow flag out front too?

just kidding dude, thanks for the recommendation
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What do most of you do? Pile it on the floor, a shelf, or hang it in the closet?

I'm thinking I'd like to hang mine up, but we have those HD style wire shelves - between those and the standard plastic hanger, I'm wondering about the weight when you have three sets of plates hung. I don't want the shelf or armor crashing down in the middle of the night.

View Quote
Not only did you choose poorly, you are also not abiding by the fucking rules.....

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Edit:  I'm a dumbass who read "PC"  & thought computers and didn't read which section this was on. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I think on the floor next to the bed or next to HD gun of choice sound goo
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:21:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not only did you choose poorly, you are also not abiding by the fucking rules.....  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My little sandwich maker has her own thread somewhere in the botd archives if you're that interested.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:02:36 AM EDT
[#7]
My armory is in my bedroom, i want easy access to my gear if anything goes bump in the night. My armor carrier leans against the wall with one set of straps open and the other attached so i can slip into it quickly.  My wife cant complain because all of my clothes and gun stuff takes up maybe 1/4 of the closet. 1/2 of the closet is her clothes and the remaining 1/4 is her shoes so if anyone should complain its me
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:21:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I have an apc, I put two thick pillows inside, and store it in a toughbox. It keeps it upright and maintains the general shape I guess.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:47:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I have my PC hang in a torso only mannequin.  The plates are wrapped in bubblewrap in the box they came in real close by.....
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I use scuba gear hangers to hang some of my spare gear (I think it's for a regulator or something like that...) - plates out (where applicable):

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Kinetics-Buoyancy-Compensator-Hanger/dp/B001N4LFNI/ref=pd_sim_sg_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=1WWZ5J7EE41YT3746K1V

That being said, having tried multiple different solutions in multiple different environments, including the "gear cross" stands, I've come to the general conclusion that my favorite method of storage is still simply "heaped on the floor," at least for any kind of "go" gear.  

Any kind of "hanging" option generally comes with "sagging" issues - you can buttress weighted parts, but adding complexity to a stand or hanger just makes it that much more of a pain in the ass to remove the armor if you ever wanted to put it on.  

Meanwhile, the other storage options seem a little too "admin" for me, as I tend to wear my "something" as often as possible, the whole "train like you fight" thing, it makes for pretty decent PT, depending on what you're doing, too, and is more useful and more fun [to me] than "lift something heavy - put it down - lift something heavy - put it down" or "run to nowhere."  

Gear on the floor allows all of the heavy stuff to be supported by... the floor, and you can leave the straps/cummerbund, etc. open so that you just need to don it if you need to have it on "RTFN."  A strong shelf that was big enough would work better, maybe like a hardware shelf.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Lay it flat on a shelf.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lay it flat on a shelf.
View Quote

That's what I've been doing. Seems to work well enough.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:27:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Take Plates out for long time storage
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine lies flat on the carpeted closet floor.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:24:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Y'all make me feel bad
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#16]
pulled the pic from online

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:59:06 PM EDT
[#17]
In a pile
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Take Plates out for long time storage
View Quote

Not to question you, but what's the reasoning behind this?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:25:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Goal is to build a wood stand like pictured above, but currently it's mounted on an MRE box with my gun belt laid on too next to my bag,  it'll prob stay that way until I get plates and then it won't fit and I'll be forced to build a stand.

I wouldn't hang it, unless you're removing all mags and gear, my rod would probably snap.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#20]
In a pile on the floor. Belt is loaded with ammo and ifak and ready to go, all it needs is the G17. The carrier has plates and mags but no live ammo. I only keep 90 5.56 and 34 9mm rds at the ready, the rest in the big ammo boxes. Debating on loading up more mags but at the moment my current setup suits me fine.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Depends on which carrier/plates and length of storage. I've made a few stands, like the one from ITS, but that's better for the storage of something heavy like a kitted-up IOTV or similar. It makes for a cool "decoration" in a man cave or something, but it's a lot for just a plate carrier that's going to be deployed rapidly IMO.

I personally store my plates/armor separately just to reduce strain on the rack in my closet and I have more carriers than plates/armor. I personally don't need to have several fully kitted-up PC's just hanging in a closet. If I decide to wear/do something different than what I'm currently using, I have the time to configure it as needed. I store soft armor in a stack in a closet, same goes with plates.

Right now, I'm using a US Palm Defender with LTC 26225's with the Armor Express IIIA inserts for HD duty. It's way over-loaded and you wouldn't want to wear it for more than 60-90 seconds but it's stupid fast/simple to put on in a hurry. I'm sure there's better options but I've seen a few other guys run this setup and it works pretty well for around the house. I lay this one flat on the carpet and have no worries about it... I would like to store it vertically to save space but I notice that if I do that the soft armor can shift and the plate could cause it to "bunch up". Yeah, I know the plates are level IV but having the inserts in there makes it slightly less miserable to wear... If I was to store it vertically, I would take care to make sure it didn't fall over.

I prefer storing flat as I think I'm more likely to drop my PC off a hanger while trying to put it on and inadvertently break my foot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top