Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 8:51:13 PM EDT
Does the IOTV require soft armor inserts when used with SAPI plates? Also, will a large plate work in an extra large carrier?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't use an IOTV with just hard plates. You "can", but it will sag and be generally awkward. If anything I would use the IOTV with just soft armor and no hard plates. If you only have plates I would just get a plate carrier.

As far as size of plates I believe the iotv plate pocket ranges up and down one size. So a large should be able to use medium, large, extra large.

There is a lot of hate for the IOTV due to the weight...but personally I think it is a great vest if you want maximum soft/hard protection.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:42:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 4 ceramic plates. One large, and one extra large. I also have the side plates. What carrier would you suggest? I am really only thinking of home defense, not as any thing regularly worn. But are the ceramic plates safe without soft armor?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 4 ceramic plates. One large, and one extra large. I also have the side plates. What carrier would you suggest? I am really only thinking of home defense, not as any thing regularly worn. But are the ceramic plates safe without soft armor?
View Quote

Depends what type of plate it is. If it is rated as a stand-alone it is fine to wear without soft armor, but if it is  ICW (in conjunction with) it will require 3A soft armor to be totally safe. The reason being is that when a round strikes the ceramic it can send shards and pieces of the plate into the wearer and back face deformation can damage the body as well. You can find all this info on the plate itself.

There are TONS of plate carriers out there for you to choose. My thoughts on use of armor for home defense is that you don't need velcro and elastic slowing you down. Basically throw it over your head and rock and roll. In that regards you can pretty much get a LBT, mayflower, TAG, or any other PC. All it has to do is hold your plates, a mag or two, flashlight, and an aid-kit.

As a catch all vest the IOTV is pretty damn good. It has huge coverage of soft armor and has plate pockets. I like the IOTV as a catch all because if it is feeling too heavy I can drop the collars and hard plates and still have a comfy soft armor vest.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#4]
if you are set on getting a IOTV, step up and get the MTV or Spartan II.  They both take interceptor soft armor and extras but are a cummerbund front opening.  still a catch all but much improved mobility and durability.  Should be pretty cheap since the military is pretty much done with all forms of frag vests it seems.

edit- IOTV's are a lot like the MTV, I was thinking the old interceptor.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:16:39 PM EDT
[#5]
OP I hope you don't mind. I was given a old interceptor vest. I want to use the soft inserts and plates(future buy when I can) in a modern cummerbund style carrier. I have been looking for a Spartan II or similar for this reason. I want to use the free soft inserts and when I can afford it get plates. I am only using this rig for active shooter, method raids, etc. Vollie medic, no budget, no tactical medic, zombies, SHTF,etc. Several times running calls that where not what dispatch said, I thought for sure I was in trouble if I followed the no medic/FF can be armed. County LEO is thin, budget cuts, etc. Doing what we can with what we have.

I know you should be okay with just soft and no plates OP.

If anyone has a carrier that will use interceptor panels, has cummerbund and side plate holders please let me know where to look.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top