Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 9:03:19 AM EDT
I am shopping for a hard case mainly for back and forth to the range. It will probably never go on a plane. I'm between the boyt 52in double scopes rifle case, Plano 42in rifle case and considering a pelican 1750. I think the pelican is overkill. The boyt is very attractive due to price and size. The Plano is the cheapest at 70$. I will be buying through amazon as I have a couple hundred $$ in gift cards. Does anyone have the boyt that can chime in? I've searched for comparisons but not much pops up.

I will put a rem 700 20in barrel with manners t4a stock, hdmr scope and have a ar15 with aimpoint. If it can fit both great but I am mainly looking for a case for the 700.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Pelican 1750 and don't look back.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pelican 1750 and don't look back.
View Quote

+1

If you're going to grab a hard case, the Pelican is great.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are patient you can usually pick up a Plano at Wal-Mart when they go on sale at the end of the season.
I've picked up several over the last several years for about half price.

If you plan on having just one hard case and space may be a concern, a Pelican or Storm is the way to go.
That way you can have piece of mind if you do decide to travel by air.

Something else to keep in mind is the size of the case, they do tend to take up quite a bit of room in a passenger car.
Shouldn't be an issue in a truck or SUV.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#4]
My Pelican 1700 case is fantastic, worth every penny! Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm liking the boyt h51, it seems about as good but has more space. Plus its 169 shipped. The pelican is about 215 shipped. I'm also considering the Plano just because it seems like good value. The only time the gun is in the case is to and from the range. I'm going on a trip and won't be buying for 1 week. If I was flying or traveling with guns then pelican would be my choice for sure.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:00:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Pelican is overkill only because you're not thinking long term enough. Go with the Pelican and get a life time of use out of the thing. The foam inserts can be purchased separately so you can keep the case and just recut new foam for newer rifles as you buy them.You'll get years of use out of the thing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Pelican is overkill only because you're not thinking long term enough. Go with the Pelican and get a life time of use out of the thing. The foam inserts can be purchased separately so you can keep the case and just recut new foam for newer rifles as you buy them.You'll get years of use out of the thing.
View Quote

are you planning on routinely taking it on multiple deployments, dropping it on an aerial resupply, loading it into the back of a C-130 on a pallate, roughly tossing it into the back of a cargo truck to go bouncing down an unimproved desert or jungle road?  
If the answer is yes, then I commend you on your career in special operations! The Pelican will be wonderful for your gun! See if you can use unit funds to buy one!
If this actually translates into "I plan on sort of roughly tossing it into the bed of my truck and going hunting or taking it to the range... but some of those roads are pretty rough, man!" then the Pelican case is way overkill.

this guy will MORE than suffice, and will also save you $100.
http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Flambeau-Tactical-AR-Hard-Case&i=727136
or
http://www.opticsplanet.com/plano-molding-aw-tactical-cases-36in-or-42in-black.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CjwKEAjwxtKeBRDMzoeQmYn5uHcSJACGCF3DxFl7oy1eYEcXqgMeg-HCsiiH5S_4ZmixydaRBBVghBoCA9vw_wcB

I've driven through rainstorms with it in the bed of my truck, and everything inside was fine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Go with the pelican.

I was heading to a sagerat shoot in the east part of the state and needed a hardcase that would protect two rifles.  I purchased what I thought was a aluminum case on closeout from a local store.  Welllllll, It turned out to be  a piece of cardboard with very thin piece of aluminum overlaid.  I wish I would have purchased a pelican.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

are you planning on routinely taking it on multiple deployments, dropping it on an aerial resupply, loading it into the back of a C-130 on a pallate, roughly tossing it into the back of a cargo truck to go bouncing down an unimproved desert or jungle road?  
If the answer is yes, then I commend you on your career in special operations! The Pelican will be wonderful for your gun! See if you can use unit funds to buy one!
If this actually translates into "I plan on sort of roughly tossing it into the bed of my truck and going hunting or taking it to the range... but some of those roads are pretty rough, man!" then the Pelican case is way overkill.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Flambeau-Tactical-AR-Hard-Case&i=727136
or
http://www.opticsplanet.com/plano-molding-aw-tactical-cases-36in-or-42in-black.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CjwKEAjwxtKeBRDMzoeQmYn5uHcSJACGCF3DxFl7oy1eYEcXqgMeg-HCsiiH5S_4ZmixydaRBBVghBoCA9vw_wcB

I've driven through rainstorms with it in the bed of my truck, and everything inside was fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or

Go see an airport baggage handler at work and get back to me.

You might end up flying with it, even if you say you're not planning on it right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top