Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2014 7:50:41 PM EDT
I've got numerous Camelbak packs but don't really use the bladders much. Here's what I've seen/considered and why I don't use them.

1. Hang on altered plastic coathangers. The only place I've got extra room to hang them is in my shed which gets super hot upstairs in the summer or is too dusty. Camelbak's hangers are also too expensive for more than one or two.
2. Tossing them in a rubbermaid tub with extra vent holes. I think they'll still mold and not stay open enough to dry.
3. Throwing them out and sticking with bottled water. Probably best idea yet.
4. I've also tried partially filling them with water and leaving them in the freezer, but space is at a premium and I'll still need to store most of them away.

I've got about seven or eight bladders sitting in the kitchen sink waiting to be washed up (got dusty on the laundry room shelf) and somehow stored away.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Man I fill my bladder (about half the volume)  with distilled water and throw it in the freezer.
Never put adult/government regulated spirits in it= bad science project stuff  

I'm open to easier ideas though. I use mine quite often in the summer time.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Using straps I hang my packs with camelback water bladders on coat hangers upside down and the fill cap open.

I've never had any problems with mold or anything else.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Using straps I hang my packs with camelback water bladders on coat hangers upside down and the fill cap open.

View Quote

X2 except I put a crumbled up paper towel in there to open it up a little.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:32:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I just keep my empty bladders in the freezer folded up they don't take up much room.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I store mine in the fridge, and never had a problem.
If you rinse out with water with a little bleach in it, that should kill just about anything in the bladder, then hang it until air dry.  Once it is dry you should be able to store it anywhere.  If you don't want to wiat for them to dry, just put in fridge or freezer.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I just empty out the water, remove the tube, open the fill cap area and allow mine to air dry completely.  I take the drinking tube, blow out the water and leave it hanging upside down until dry. Then I re-assemble the entire rig and store in the closet for next time.  I have been doing this for over a decade with no issues.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:56:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I just wash it with some clean dish soap water and leave it dry on the dish rack with a paper towel wadded up and placed to keep the bladder open on the inside. Then it gets rolled up and put in a drawer (take the paper towel out obviously). Never had the faintest odor, oldest two are about 6 years old now at this point and sometimes get stored 6+ months at a time during the cold months.

I also only run straight water out of my bladders, no sports drinks or flavor stuff. Dunno if that might matter, but I know the Mio stuff will leave a residue over a couple days in my Naglene bottles if I don't scrub them with soap between each use (I'll do about 2-3 refills a day on average).
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a small Rubbermaid tub and tucked them all away in the freezer after I washed them (got 3 fridges and a standalone, so I've got extra room). Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:05:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I just leave mine in the fridge. I've been doing it for over a year no probs at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 6:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use a 35mm film canister.  Same idea just open it up a bit.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
I switched over to Source bladders mainly for cleaning and storage reasons.  Regardless of which bladder I use, I always clean and rinse after use (as soon as possible).  After that I dry the inside out with paper towels (easier to do with Source bladders).  Then I  stuff a few paper towels in the mouth to keep it propped open and hang it upside down from the shower rod for a day or two.  Where the hose meets the bladder at the bottom is a good place to hang it from.  Usually I disconnect the hose, open the bite valve, and let it hang as well.   After that, It will go back in my pack, until it needs to be filled again.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I just empty mine out, rinse them out (including flushing the drink tube) and rinsing out the mouthpiece. Hang them to dry with them as open as possible, letting them dry out and inhibit any kind of bacterial growth.

Quoted:
Man I fill my bladder (about half the volume)  with distilled water and throw it in the freezer.
Never put adult/government regulated spirits in it= bad science project stuff  

I'm open to easier ideas though. I use mine quite often in the summer time.
View Quote

Beer and rum and similar sugar-based alcohols would be bad, the sugar would be a goldmine for bacteria to grow. But pure spirits, stuff like grain alcohol or vodka, would be fine I think. The alcohol content of them would kill the microbes and make the environment hostile.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:40:56 PM EDT
[#14]
It's not hard. You don't have to store them in freezers or stuff them with paper towels or any other crazy stuff. When you're done using it, empty it out, open the bite valve and fill mouth, hang the bladder over the shower curtain rod with the hose connection sitting on top of the rod, once dry just shove the tube into the bladder and put it away.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Empty, make it as small as possible, and throw 'em in the freezer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:15:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I use mine constantly in the summer and I rotate through my collection. I only use filtered water.

Scrub the inside with warm soapy water. Use the hose brush. Rinse repeatedly. Use the cleaning tablet. Rinse completely. I hang it with the Camelbak hanger until it is dry and then store it in a plastic tub.

The only time I have a problem is when they sit with water in them for too long. Then I get some crud in the hose right near the attachment to the bladder. I have lots of the older style, so I just cut the hose off, scrub and install again.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Bunch of single guys in here huh?

Take wifes hair dryer and put it on the setting where it just blows air (no heat) and stuff it in the opening. Remove or hold bite valve open. Bladder and tube are bone dry in minutes.

Close it up and store it wherever you want. If you're really paranoid you can toss a desiccant pack in it.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:48:21 AM EDT
[#18]
After use, I drain as much water as I can get out of it. Then, I roll a length of paper towel to act as a wick reaching from the opening to the bottom of the bladder. Dries out overnight. I can't remember ever having to actually clean one out due to it getting scuzzy. Disconnect the the valve and tube and hang that from its midsection.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:56:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I pour the water out and stuff it back in the ruck or assault pack after training. Then whenever we go out again I fill it up. Not sure why this challenges people. I have bleached it if it starts to taste off but that's more likely the Ft. Stewart water than my bladder.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Are these not made of a anti microbial plastic to help combat the icky.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are these not made of a anti microbial plastic to help combat the icky.
View Quote

Most of the good ones are. IIRC, all Source bladders are, as are many of the Platypus ones, but cheaper made ones may not be.

But that doesn't help you if you put something other than water in there. Some people put beer in them, and that will require cleaning since even that anti-microbial coating won't help with the bacteria pit you just poured into it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I work at an Army contracted OCIE warehouse.

Apparently the required method for storage of bladders is to leave a couple ounces of Red Bull in them for a few weeks of summertime heat.

Red Bull smells no better when it turns black...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top