Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2014 2:53:30 PM EDT
Do any of you mount a canteen pouch or water bottle pouch (soft taco) on your 1st line (war belt)?

I am ditching the plate carrier which has my hydration system mounted in a sleeve in the back.

Other than first aid blow out kit my war belt is all ammo pouches and holster.

Also going to mount my dump pouch my my pants belt because it takes up too much real estate on the war belt.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Too much weight for the belt without suspenders IMO. Go with a small assault pack size bag (or smaller) and you can keep your water bottles in that or route your camelback tube down one of the shoulder pads. The idea would be that you could ditch the bag without getting all tangled up in the tube.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree, water is a "first line" essential kind of thing.  If you have space for it I say put it on.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess everyone has different ideas of what belongs where. I setup my belt with a pistol, two mags, and a rifle mag. You can obviously manage it for different instances, but you can't set something up perfectly for every situation. My belt model at least gets you armed fast and moving. If you are expecting to get into a gun fight, throw your armor on. If you are expecting to run around the neighborhood or in the woods fighting for a few hours to a day, then put your backpack on. If you are expecting to have to move 12 miles on foot, use your ruck.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
OP I see by your tag that your are or were .mil so I ask if you are asking for a military or a civilian recommendation for a water bottle carry?  Either way IMHO I would suggest a water bladder type system and leave the bottles for your pack.  I run a 3L Thermobak on me and Nalgene Oasis canteens on my pack FYI.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OP I see by your tag that your are or were .mil so I ask if you are asking for a military or a civilian recommendation for a water bottle carry?  Either way IMHO I would suggest a water bladder type system and leave the bottles for your pack.  I run a 3L Thermobak on me and Nalgene Oasis canteens on my pack FYI.
View Quote

I would recommend the exact opposite actually.  I despise drinking out of a camelbak in anything but extreme circumstances.  I put a waterbottle in my back pocket or in my dump pouch, and have less than 1L of water in my camelbak.  I'm exploring different options for a small bladder though.  My thought is that 1L is plenty, because outside of a long forced movement (which you will generally have time to prepare for) and a gun fight, there is always time to stop and drink out of a bottle.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 2:11:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would recommend the exact opposite actually.  I despise drinking out of a camelbak in anything but extreme circumstances.  I put a waterbottle in my back pocket or in my dump pouch, and have less than 1L of water in my camelbak.  I'm exploring different options for a small bladder though.  My thought is that 1L is plenty, because outside of a long forced movement (which you will generally have time to prepare for) and a gun fight, there is always time to stop and drink out of a bottle.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL on the flip side, I myself love camel backs, and despise water bottles.

Takes all kinds.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:01:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have an upcoming civilian training class and I would like to run a war belt only since i have always used a plate carrier with a hydration pouch/camel pack integrated wanted to explore other water carrying options. I consider water pretty important and don't like the idea of carrying all of my water in an assault pack.  

When I was in the infantry (got out in 2009) i didn't use a battle belt carry my fighting load (1st and 2nd line) everything was mounted to my armor. I had a 3L bladder worn and 2 x canteens (1 with canteen cup and stand) on my assault pack.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Tried it. Too much weight on the belt. I stash a bottle in a cargo pocket if I'm not wearing an assault pack with a bladder and canteen pouch (that was formerly on the belt).
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tried it. Too much weight on the belt. I stash a bottle in a cargo pocket if I'm not wearing an assault pack with a bladder and canteen pouch (that was formerly on the belt).
View Quote

In the olden days thats how we rolled with too much weight on our belts. When I joined the Corps in 1998 we used the old Alice gear. Pistol belt, suspenders, magazine pouches, butt pack, 2x canteens. FAK, compass pouch.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:18:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

In the olden days thats how we rolled with too much weight on our belts. When I joined the Corps in 1998 we used the old Alice gear. Pistol belt, suspenders, magazine pouches, butt pack, 2x canteens. FAK, compass pouch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would suggest getting a stand alone Cambelbak carrier, Either for just the bladder or maybe some extra space like the military version of the MULE. I personally like a little extra space for some snacks and spare mags. People are also going to have different needs based on where you live. In AZ if I'm going hiking I fill up my 3L bladder and will stuff some extra water bottles in a pack as well as a canteen on a shoulder strap. So that makes a difference as well. If you're going to get a bladder carrier or the like I would suggest surplus because it's cheaper that way.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#11]
OP,

Since you are prepping for a class, my recommendation (since you do not wish to go the hydration bladder route) is to simply have water on hand with your gear behind the firing line. As others have noted, having water on your belt, be it canteen or bottle, would pretty much require the use of suspenders.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#12]
hydration pouch on your back.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I've been using the military pilot flask.   They are less than $3.   It takes two to equal a USGI 1qt canteen.   They will fit in an M14/SR25 mag pouch or if you can't get it on your gear they will fit in a pocket much better than something round.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#14]
no,
the warbelt is really jsut an add-on for CQB, not a Nam/Desert Storm era pistol belt for carrying everything you own.
Mainly because that shit sucks, and there are MUCH better thought out systems now.

bare minimum goes on the war belt (yah i know its tempting to fill all those molle loops)

I'd go with a camelbak, or since you're going to a class, bring a Nalgene and leave it before you start shooting. It's not like you're going on patrol or anything and NEED to carry water or you will die, I guarantee there will be a collection of Nalgenes etc. somewhere nearby.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#15]
No, scale it instead.

Have your normal modular belt setup and if you are going to be somewhere where hydration isn't easily accessible or you will be out for an unknown length of time, scale up to the modular belt and one of the very lightweight Source hydration bladders. The pouch doesn't weigh much more than the water and has a few PALS rows on the back for a little extra room if needed.

That way you aren't dragging water around if not needed or if you'll be near water and you can easily scale up and not burn real estate on the belt.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:07:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I did briefly, before buying a CamelBak.

The canteen didn't cause any extra problems that weren't already inherent in the whole "war belt" concept. I've tried three different belts and haven't had any last more than 7 hours just playing airsoft. YMMV, but I'm extremely unimpressed with the whole concept.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I did briefly, before buying a CamelBak.

The canteen didn't cause any extra problems that weren't already inherent in the whole "war belt" concept. I've tried three different belts and haven't had any last more than 7 hours just playing airsoft. YMMV, but I'm extremely unimpressed with the whole concept.
View Quote

What is happening to your belts?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top