Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 1:11:51 PM EDT
I have like new IIIA soft panels for a vest I will never wear. I want to have them cut into backer plates and recovered  rather then drop $250-$300 on brand new plate backers. I know Ares Armor use to do this. Haven't been able to get a hold of them. This is not something I am interested in persuiting as a do it yourself option. I want it done right. Does anyone know a company that can do this? Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#1]
This topic has come up a few times before, iirc there MAY be one other company that will do it. Liability of altering body armor is an issue which is why most will tell you do it yourself.

If they are like new you could try and trade them for pieces that fit what you need.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#2]
serrated shears and assume the risk... cut outside the edge boundary of the plate in question
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
serrated shears and assume the risk... cut outside the edge boundary of the plate in question
View Quote

That maybe what I have to do. Any advice on resealing the panels? I am not even sure what type of waterproof material to cover them with.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That maybe what I have to do. Any advice on resealing the panels? I am not even sure what type of waterproof material to cover them with.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrap the panels in Gorilla tape.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is getting more ghetto by the minute!

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I got in touch with Ares Armor in Oceanside,CA. They will reshape armor for $75 + S&H.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#7]

I wonder how that will affect the ballistic performance of your panels.  With something that is quilted, probably not much.  With something that has edge or corner stitching, who knows.  

CHRIS

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top