Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 2:07:14 PM EDT
I'm thinking of adding a knife to my chest rig and I have been deliberating between a Benchmade SOCP and a ESEE 3. Both are in the $100 price range. I'm leaning towards the SOCP because it can fit behind my mag pouches. Let me know what you guys think as I'm open to suggestions.

or

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#1]
This could be good...
Getting the popcorn ready
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:26:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If my recollection is correct, you can get the Esee 3Mil-P at Knife Works for 89 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Esee 3 is the way to go, love mine. I keep mine on my assault pack/bob tho.  My Benchmade Infidel stays in my pocket irrelevant if I'm wearing a PC or Chest Rig
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:58:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on what you want to do with it. For a general purpose knife, the ESEE wins, hands down. Until recently, they didn't even put a useful edge on the SOCP dagger. It was sharpened for about an inch on either side at the tip, and the sole purpose of the knife is stabbing motherfuckers. It's a great little knife for that, but not really good for much else.
View Quote

What I came to post.

I have a 3 and it's a great general purpose/survival knife.

The SOCP might be something you can hide if you get rolled up...then come out slashing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Purchased the Benchmade SOCP dagger. Sent it back. It was smaller than I had thought. Not happy with edge or the sheath. ESEE all the way. I have several and they all have many purposes. The Izula is a great little knife. The ESEE 6 is my camp knife. Izula for CCW. Save a few bucks and get an ESEE.....buy an ESEE!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#7]
As noted, buy the ESEE-3.  The only other knife I'd consider would be a Rowen made DPx HEST.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Which chest rig do you use, and where do you see yourself attaching the knife?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Which chest rig do you use, and where do you see yourself attaching the knife?
View Quote

I have  a Specter Gear chest rig with US Grunt Gear ammo pouches, admin pouch and a flashlight pouch. After comparing the Izula and the ESEE 3 I think that the Izula would be better suited to my chest rig pictured below.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:42:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of adding a knife to my chest rig and I have been deliberating ......

View Quote

Sir, what do you intend the knife to do?

I ask because those 2 selections are damn near opposites.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:51:53 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

My intention is that it's a weapon of last resort.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:16:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Go with the ESEE.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fuck that. Save your money and buy a small pocket 9mm or .380 and add it unobtrusively to the kangaroo or admin pouch of your rig.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Im gonna go against the grain and say the benchmade would get better penetration, and designed as a weapon, where the esee seems more designed as a tool. Weather its more practical for you to carry one or the other Is up to you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Then go with the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a RC4 on my warbelt as a general purpose blade. I'dlove.  Cold steel push dagger horizontally build my admin pouch.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd love to see someone do a small admin pouch with a built in semi-concealed sheath (or pocket for a sheath) for a small knife/push dagger.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Need to set my Safe Maker up on my PC
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:27:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Just bought an Ontario RAT 3 - I'm not trying to add another choice , but  this is pretty much the same knife as ESEE 3 , but comes with a couple of mounting options for the kydex sheath as well as a blade tech "tech lock" .

Ontario makes a quality product
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I ordered the Benchmade SOCP. Should be in on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#21]
a knife is a tool, not necessarily a weapon of last resort.
something to think about.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 5:49:27 PM EDT
[#22]
For whatever the use, I would step
up to the -4. It's just a little larger than
the -3, but has a thicker spine and a
little more heft.

Just my .02.

Later!

John.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Unless the stated use for it is strictly weapon.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:26:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sometimes you need a tool to open up the vital organs of somebody trying to kill you.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#25]
No real note on the knife, but consider belt mounted or even mounted on your drop leg holster platform.  Tangling with a guy, you want to keep him close,,and working to get a knife on your chest gives him space to get to his knife. Learn to grapple, mount your knife elsewhere and have at it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No real note on the knife, but consider belt mounted or even mounted on your drop leg holster platform.  Tangling with a guy, you want to keep him close,,and working to get a knife on your chest gives him space to get to his knife. Learn to grapple, mount your knife elsewhere and have at it.
View Quote

Thank you for the suggestions. I got the grappling down after several years of mma training. I'll also have a spyderco folder on me as part of my EDC.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thank you for the suggestions. I got the grappling down after several years of mma training. I'll also have a spyderco folder on me as part of my EDC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then you know, pass on the chest mounted weaponry. I have my folder on my left side so I can trap my pistol if need be and stab with my left.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:58:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Then you know, pass on the chest mounted weaponry. I have my folder on my left side so I can trap my pistol if need be and stab with my left.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy who invented it demonstrates it centerline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3y-crXJ7DNA

Just some food for thought I'm not a bad ass by any stretch of the imagination
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I run a kbar tdi behind my mag pouch
..and I run a knife on my belt left side...and a folder same side as my sidearm.
Only reason the tdi is there is after doing full gear grappling most guys tried to trap your hands to keep your sidearm in check ...when going for the tdi it forced them to keep their hands up front...leaving me a free had to get stabby our draw.
Im not any kind of expert just what I took away from a few days doing it...trying different things.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:11:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt there is a chance of use, I just know that when I'm in a ground fight, if I'm on bottom I don't want any space between me and the attacker, if I'm on top, then create space and get to your knife.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#31]
It sounds to me like maybe two knives are the answer?

Maybe this centerline and a esse 4 weakside?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#32]
He talks funny! Sounds like a southern accent mixed with something else.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:12:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I run a kbar tdi behind my mag pouch
..and I run a knife on my belt left side...and a folder same side as my sidearm.
Only reason the tdi is there is after doing full gear grappling most guys tried to trap your hands to keep your sidearm in check ...when going for the tdi it forced them to keep their hands up front...leaving me a free had to get stabby our draw.
Im not any kind of expert just what I took away from a few days doing it...trying different things.

View Quote

Good suggestion I'll try this out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:59:00 AM EDT
[#34]
if I were to mount a fighting knife on my gear it would be on my PC or chest rig, not my belt or drop leg
now if I find myself in a situation where I NEED that weapon the last thing I want to do is drop my hand down to my side and leave my face and upper body undefended
I'm no expert nor have I been in many fights, just my 2 cents...
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
if I were to mount a fighting knife on my gear it would be on my PC or chest rig, not my belt or drop leg
now if I find myself in a situation where I NEED that weapon the last thing I want to do is drop my hand down to my side and leave my face and upper body undefended
I'm no expert nor have I been in many fights, just my 2 cents...
View Quote

There are others that would argue that if you are in a situation where you NEED that weapon that you don't want it mounted high on your rig where it is also within easy reach of your foe. Odds are that his hands are also going to be about your upper body. I'm also no expert, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn lately.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#36]
I've got a combo edge SOCP coming to throw on my molle 2/3gun belt, just because.

Currently have a TDI behind the back admin pouch, a bit awkward but I can reach it with either hand.
I wanted something more easily accessible without being obtrusive, so I'll probably put it in front of my holster or on my left hip where I can get at it with either hand without being awkward.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top