Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2014 7:13:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Mind = blown.

And I was just saying how we are seeing some remarkable technological leaps forward this year in body armor.

Still, based on specs, the FM series that Midwest has been releasing is an entirely new generation. I don't know of anything else that can even touch those plates.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Price?

please update the post when they are posted and available.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Will this be offered in a shooters cut in the future?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Midwest's site says they are $945.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:00:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

great googly moogly!!!

i guess it comes down to is 1.8lb and 0.15" is worth the additional $800 over say the guardian 4. unless there is some other selling point i'm missing
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#8]
This thread is relevant to my interests
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:47:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

great googly moogly!!!

i guess it comes down to is 1.8lb and 0.15" is worth the additional $800 over say the guardian 4. unless there is some other selling point i'm missing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

great googly moogly!!!

That's the same price as you would pay for the Velocity plates mentioned in the other thread, except for a stand-alone plate with almost the exact same dimensions.

OP: What is your price-point on these plates and how much more does an X-Large model cost? If we're talking an 11x14" plate at 7.2 pounds and roughly 1/2" thick (just going by ESAPI specs - I would like to know the actual weight of the XL model), then I can easily see serious professionals spending that amount.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 12:27:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#11]
They just showed up on the website. They are almost a grand each. Guess I'm stuck with my 9 lb. SAPI XL's.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 2:42:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They just showed up on the website. They are almost a grand each. Guess I'm stuck with my 9 lb. SAPI XL's 7.6# Level IVs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They just showed up on the website. They are almost a grand each. Guess I'm stuck with my 9 lb. SAPI XL's.
View Quote

Truthfully, I am surprised they are not more expensive.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's the same price as you would pay for the Velocity plates mentioned in the other thread, except for a stand-alone plate with almost the exact same dimensions.

OP: What is your price-point on these plates and how much more does an X-Large model cost? If we're talking an 11x14" plate at 7.2 pounds and roughly 1/2" thick (just going by ESAPI specs - I would like to know the actual weight of the XL model), then I can easily see serious professionals spending that amount.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

great googly moogly!!!

and again, that begs the question, what makes these so much better to justify the $800 price difference? i know "different strokes for different folks", but if you're trying to sell these plates over the guardian iv, whats's the selling point?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool plates, I live how thin they are but aren't they the same weight as an ESAPI?

Edit: guess they are stand alone, ESAPI would need a backer so that would add about 0.75 lb per plate.

Basically 5.5lb and .55" think vs 6.25lb and 1.25" think
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#17]
So these are pure Advanced Uni-Directional UHMWPE ?  (basically advanced dyneema/polyethylene correct?)

No ceramic involved with these?  

I realize this is a lvl 4 plate, but are they multi-hit rated for lvl 3 threads like 193 & 855?  I know this plate stops both of these rounds, but I'm interested in the multi-hit ability of this FM4 plate.

These are lvl 4 plate stand alone, but having soft armor behind will give it the lvl 3 multi-hit ability?  Am I understanding the OP correctly?  If so that is what I'm looking for.  ICW soft armor since I plan on wearing soft armor regardless of plate level.

Any idea on what the Large plate weighs if the medium is 5.5?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#20]
It's analogous to aerospace engineering. Space requires but two things: to be 100% reliable, and to weigh nothing (or be the lowest possible weight).  

When you start dealing with very light weight materials with advanced manufacturing and technology, research, testing and development, you get a costly high-tech product that is the most advanced, and proficient design to date.
And also the lightest and strongest viable option.

Surely, you can stick a few steel or ceramic plates to your chest to achieve the same reliability (Level IV capability), but at what weight and volume is the cost?  An advanced material like UHDPE or UHMWPE and others is the lightest and thinnest package for the same capability offering the users a back breaking weight savings, from high-tech chemical wizardry.

Like the analogy, tis why aerospace uses titanium alloys in their air-frame superstructures.  The high price is due to development costs and also to economies of scale.  You'll see a price drop once the demand hits the market and they can meet it with an increased manufacturing and supply.  Oh, the invisible hand, ever present, and ever invisible.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:14:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They are a combo, UHMWPE and ceramics, the factory description does not call that out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So these are pure Advanced Uni-Directional UHMWPE ?  (basically advanced dyneema/polyethylene correct?)

No ceramic involved with these?  

I realize this is a lvl 4 plate, but are they multi-hit rated for lvl 3 threads like 193 & 855?  I know this plate stops both of these rounds, but I'm interested in the multi-hit ability of this FM4 plate.

These are lvl 4 plate stand alone, but having soft armor behind will give it the lvl 3 multi-hit ability?  Am I understanding the OP correctly?  If so that is what I'm looking for.  ICW soft armor since I plan on wearing soft armor regardless of plate level.

Any idea on what the Large plate weighs if the medium is 5.5?

They are a combo, UHMWPE and ceramics, the factory description does not call that out.

Seems the mediums are the sweet spot at 9.5x12.5 @ 5.5lbs, the large at 6.3 are only what 10x12.5?  So you're only gaining roughly half inch in coverage compared tothe mediums?

Any idea what the ceramic/UHMWPE combo is?  Inner core of UHMWPE with ceramic boron carbide strike face?  

Does the edge on these have the UHMWPE bumper like the Mass III+ do to help mitigate damage when dropped on its edge?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:06:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:48:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Any idea what the ceramic/UHMWPE combo is? Inner core of UHMWPE with ceramic boron carbide strike face?

Does the edge on these have the UHMWPE bumper like the Mass III+ do to help mitigate damage when dropped on its edge?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Any idea what the ceramic/UHMWPE combo is? Inner core of UHMWPE with ceramic boron carbide strike face?

View Quote

Bump...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:08:39 AM EDT
[#25]
How long till someone gets one for a "we going to shot this plate because shooting stuff is F**KIN COOL" test and can post a video?

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Gents,
 We got approval this morning to release the new Midwest Armor VENTURE FM4.  These are a game changer for the armor industry.  Midwest has proven yet again they are at the forefront of armor innovation.  

The FM4s are tested to ESAPI specifications (multi-hit ICW) however test data shows a stand alone Level IV capability as well.  They are currently in the NIJ certification process as well.

Specs are below, pay attention to the thickness and weight.  A UHMWPE / ceramic hybrid plate that is just greater than a half inch thick.   :  

VENTURE FM4 ESAPI and Stand Alone Level IV

The VENTURE FM4 is a stand-alone level IV, triple-curve plate available in standard ESAPI sizes.
Once again, Midwest is breaking new ground. The VENTURE FM4 SAPI Medium (9.5"x12.5") weighs an incredibly light 5.5 pounds and is only 0.55" thick

Features a polyurea liner which provides the maximum protection from UV rays, salt water, and gasoline/JP fuels.

Design and Construction

Materials: Advanced Uni-Directional UHMWPE
Size: ESAPI Standard sizes
Thickness: 0.55"
Weight: 5.5 pounds (2.5 Kg)
standard multi curve (ESAPI)

Liner: Plural-Component Polyurea
Resistant to Gasoline/JP7 and salt water

View Quote

Rather than start a new thread about these VENTURE FM4 plates, thought it best to bump this thread. Mods please edit or remove my post if need be.

If you see this post, here are some questions for the VENTURE FM4

1. Are the VENTURE FM4 available in both XL 11x14 ESAPI Front and Rear Plate cuts? I do not want to use the same XL Front plate with cut outs at the top corners for Rear.

2. If the "Full Cut" option is a Rectangle Rear Plate without the cut outs at the top corner, is it available in the XL 11x14 ESAPI size? No XL ESAPI size cut options were listed for the "Full Cut" VENTURE FM4 at their website.

http://www.midwestarmor.com/body-armor/venture-fm4

3. Will the 11x14 XL ESAPI cut front and rear plates properly fit in LBT-6094 XL ESAPI/SPEAR cut plate carriers? The rear plate pocket on the 6094's is rectangular making a dedicated rectangular cut rear plate possible.

4. For LBT-6094 XL ESAPI/SPEAR cut plate carriers or others. Do you have matching VENTURE FM4 rated XL 6x8 or greater size side plates?

5. When the official NIJ certification and rating come through for these plates, please post them. Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top