Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2014 10:37:59 PM EDT
I have Under Armor heat gear & cold gear hood/balaclava and I really like them, but they aren't the nomex kind.

While searching for the nomex UA I come across the Drifire hoods/clavas

How do the two compare?  Is Drifire just a name branded nomex or is it a different/better material?

I'd like to get both heat/cold gear in the nomex/drifire but if only heat gear is available the UA cold hear hood is awesomely warm.

The UA heatgear feels really great as a fabric, not sure how the nomex version feels compared to the one I have?
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the Drifire one, but I used the UA heat balaclava last winter and it held up really well even when it was -40

I'm thinking mine isn't nomex either.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both the UA hot and cold gear covers.  I never use the cold gear one because it's too snug on my face.  I use the hot gear UA cover all the time and it's gtg.  Even the hot gear cover provides a good bit of warmth in the winter (no colder then it gets in AR).
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
The cold gear one is great until wet. Like from exhaling breath while sitting around waiting for deer. Then it sucks
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 5:05:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How do the two compare?  Is Drifire just a name branded nomex or is it a different/better material?

I'd like to get both heat/cold gear in the nomex/drifire but if only heat gear is available the UA cold hear hood is awesomely warm.

The UA heatgear feels really great as a fabric, not sure how the nomex version feels compared to the one I have?
View Quote

My understanding is DriFire is similar to Nomex Aramid - basically a non-melt artificial fiber. Somewhere I saw a DriFire demo video that indicated it is fairly non-char too when exposed to direct flame.
Nomex is usually okay next to the skin (I do wear a lwt Nomex balaclava), but DriFire seems to be similar. It isn't Egptian cotton, but still pretty soft.

Why would you wear Under Armor around your face? It is asinine. Botach was selling DriFire at closeout prices.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My understanding is DriFire is similar to Nomex Aramid - basically a non-melt artificial fiber. Somewhere I saw a DriFire demo video that indicated it is fairly non-char too when exposed to direct flame.
Nomex is usually okay next to the skin (I do wear a lwt Nomex balaclava), but DriFire seems to be similar. It isn't Egptian cotton, but still pretty soft.

Why would you wear Under Armor around your face? It is asinine. Botach was selling DriFire at closeout prices.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So nomex is a form of aramid?  I may favor that material more since it's a natural fabric correct? Vs the Drifire is artificial as you mentioned?

I actually like the Under Armor stuff, but obviously now wanting to move over to a Nomex/Drifire material.  

Good sale on the Botach, sucks they don't have any more of the Heat/Cold gear combo for $13.50

I'll probably pick up a Hot gear from Botach while it's on sale for $15.  I'm going to keep my eye out for the Cold Gear Drifire.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#6]
drifire is better than UA imo...

also check out XGO http://www.proxgo.com/

made in the USA and has both FR and non..
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So nomex is a form of aramid?  I may favor that material more since it's a natural fabric correct? Vs the Drifire is artificial as you mentioned?
View Quote

Nomex, DriFire et al are just repurposed oil - they are as synthetic as can be. Aramids are purely better living through chemistry; they are only organic at the molecular level. They aren't from a plant in the ground; they're from a plant in West Virginia.  

I regularly wear Nomex, DriFire and XGO garments instead of likely-to-melt nylon fibers and to supplement cotton as a natural fiber. That said, I don't ever want to be in a situation where I test the artificial fibers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nomex, DriFire et al are just repurposed oil - they are as synthetic as can be. Aramids are purely better living through chemistry; they are only organic at the molecular level. They aren't from a plant in the ground; they're from a plant in West Virginia.  

I regularly wear Nomex, DriFire and XGO garments instead of likely-to-melt nylon fibers and to supplement cotton as a natural fiber. That said, I don't ever want to be in a situation where I test the artificial fibers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you reference "Aramids" is that a blanket term for things like Nomex & Drifire, or are they all completely different?

Now that I think about it, all of my base layer is UA and none of it is of the Nomex/Drifire material.  

Looks like I'll have to start swapping out my current UA for the Nomex/Drifire stuff.  I think UA offers some of their things in Nomex.  I like the feel & fit of UA stuff, are things from XGO similar in feel & fit?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Nomex and Kevlar are both aramid fibers, but they are not the same as each other. The chemical structure of Nomex is slightly different than Kevlar. Kevlar is optimized for strength, but Nomex is optimized for thermal resistance.

I don't know what Drifire is. Its probably similar to Nomex.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top