Author
InFiDeL
Posted: 7/18/2013 12:05:19 AM
So I'm looking for something small, comfortable, and lightweight to add 2 or 3 mag pouches to and maybe a multi-tool. Is there anything better than this?

Tactical Tailor Mini MAV

What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!
diverge
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 12:16:23 AM
Here is another option.

Eagle Chest Rig M4
Half-Bear
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 12:33:49 AM
[Last Edit: 7/18/2013 12:37:20 AM by Half-Bear]
I'd take a look at shellbacks go time for the inexpensive route

This setup holds 2 rigle mag pouches and 2 pistol mag pouches for pistol mags or multitools:
Go Time Rig

This one has 3 rifle mag pouches across. If your multitool has a pouch, you can add it to the molle in front of the mag pouches:
Go Time Triple Mag

Note that these are sub $70 rigs that have the pouches sewn into the panel. Also, the harness goes around the back of your neck/shoulders, instead of over your shoulder and across your back.
bradpierson26
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 12:51:07 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By diverge:
Here is another option.

Eagle Chest Rig M4

I'd snag that
"I wouldn't stand in front of a supersoaker filled with piss. Does that make it a good pistol?" - Caboose314
Burnsy87
AAARRRGGHH
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 2:38:13 AM
Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association. http://www.nebraskafirearms.org

Archer: Cry "Havok!" And let slip the hogs of war!
Lana: DOGS of war.......
Archer: WHATEVER FARM ANIMAL OF WAR, LANA!
urbanredneck
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 4:27:23 AM
Ebay for Chinese ak rigs. $16 to you door
Adirondack1
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 5:34:10 AM
SKD Tactical's PIG UCR is a great set-up!
UCR
CeraOne
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 7:55:57 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Originally Posted By diverge:
Here is another option.

Eagle Chest Rig M4

I'd snag that

I have one, it's excellent for the price.
alpha0815
InFiDeL
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 10:26:53 AM
Thanks guys. I like that Eagle rig, I'll check into it.
What is best in life? To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!
bradpierson26
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 10:34:14 AM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By alpha0815:
Thanks guys. I like that Eagle rig, I'll check into it.

Leaves you some PASL space and money to add an IFAK and utility pouch or pistol mag pouches
Originally Posted By Burnsy87:
I like this

It looks good but is it 2x as good as the old school eagle rig?
"I wouldn't stand in front of a supersoaker filled with piss. Does that make it a good pistol?" - Caboose314
Rabidmonkey707
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 11:25:19 AM
HSGI AO chest rig.

Also, Tactical Tailor is great.
Mustang31
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 1:31:24 PM
[Last Edit: 7/18/2013 1:32:11 PM by Mustang31]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By CeraOne:
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
Originally Posted By diverge:
Here is another option.

Eagle Chest Rig M4

I'd snag that

I have one, it's excellent for the price.

How is the magazine retention? I doesn’t look like it comes with bungees from the picture.
alpha0815
InFiDeL
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 4:54:48 PM
I don't need something with mag pouches. I'm spoiled to the Esstac KYWI and Kydex mag holsters.
JarHead94
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 5:53:41 PM
[Last Edit: 7/18/2013 5:55:04 PM by JarHead94]
I don't need something with mag pouches. I'm spoiled to the Esstac KYWI and Kydex mag holsters.

Here is what I would use if I already wasn't already using the M4/AK version (it's the same rig, but with sewn in mag pouches that can handle up to four 30rnd AR or AK mags).

SOE PALS Micro Rig
raf
Sr. Staff, Armory and Outdoors Communities
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 7:53:31 PM
[Last Edit: 7/18/2013 8:11:23 PM by raf]

Well, maybe a small chest rig isn't what you need.

As an easy-to-don, grab-and-go alternative, how about this:http://www.supplycaptain.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=526&ParentCat=66 First-rate materials and construction.

Six AR 30-rd mags, with D rings for a shoulder strap. Additional PALS webbing for extras. You'll be 50 feet down the trail before the small chest rig could have been donned. Those shoulder straps are a nightmare, especially in the dark. Just add a 2" shoulder strap to the top D rings. Add a 1" strap with QD buckles to the bottom to wrap around your waist, OR, shorten the 2" strap and wear the rig around your neck, and the 1" strap around your body. for a chest rig. You've got options with this rig that other rigs lack. Straps can be ordered from www.strapworks.com Use "AR15" as discount code.

Personally, I think the small chest rigs are such a PITA to don that they are almost not worth it, given that one might need them in a hurry. If you are pressed for time, perhaps a shoulder-slung rig might be a lot quicker to don, although such might be a little tiresome after some time. How long to you really plan to wear this thing?

Yeah, it's ACU, but a $4 box of RIT Apple Green dye will fix that camo problem easy enough. Order the stuff from ritdye.com and follow instructions there. I've dyed plenty of ACU stuff with great results.

Your call.

disclaimer: no financial interest.
"The M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton Jr.,US Army
lew
I made you eat your parents!
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 8:10:27 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By raf:
Personally, I think the small chest rigs are such a PITA to don that they are almost not worth it, given that one might need them in a hurry. If you are pressed for time, perhaps a shoulder-slung rig might be a lot quicker to don, although such might be a little tiresome after some time. How long to you really plan to wear this thing?

You must be doing something wrong. Mine can be on and ready to rock in seconds.

OP, I use The Mini MAV and couldn't be happier. On it I have a TT 3-mag pouch, a single, and a TT/MSM Patch Panel. Compliments my belt very well.
"Whatever is begun in anger, ends in shame." Benjamin Franklin

Why would you consent to live in ignorance and fear?
raf
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 8:30:37 PM
[Last Edit: 7/18/2013 8:32:46 PM by raf]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By lew:
Originally Posted By raf:

OP, I use The Mini MAV and couldn't be happier. On it I have a TT 3-mag pouch, a single, and a TT/MSM Patch Panel. Compliments my belt very well.

Don't get me wrong; I like TT stuff. I have more of it than I could ever use, but bought very cheap

Try this test: Place your Mini MAV as you like and don it right after your alarm clock rings in the middle of the night, and incomplete darkness. Pretend it's PANIC TIME, and behave acordingly. Now, do the same thing with a shoulder-slung rig carrying the same load, maybe like the rig I suggested above. I understand that in a serious threat situation, one would very seldom remove one's rig, but such things happen.

In my personal experience, the small shoulder-slung rig is WAY faster to grab and don than the clumsy dual shoulder-strap rigs. Not as comfortable after a few hours, but the shoulder-slung rig has alternatives for wearing it that diminish the difference in comfort factor between it and its' brother with more straps.

Try the test, and see what you think.
"The M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised." General George S. Patton Jr.,US Army
JarHead94
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 8:36:27 PM
[Last Edit: 7/18/2013 8:37:41 PM by JarHead94]
Originally Posted By lew:

Don't get me wrong; I like TT stuff. I have more of it than I could ever use, but bought very cheap

Try this test: Place your Mini MAV as you like and don it right after your alarm clock rings in the middle of the night, and in total darkness. Pretend it's PANIC TIME. Now, do the same thing with a shoulder-slung rig carrying the same load, maybe like the rig I suggested above. I understand that in a serious threat situation, one would very seldom remove one's rig, but such things happen.

In my personal experience, the small shoulder-slung rig is WAY faster to grab and don than the clumsy dual shoulder-strap rigs. Not as comfortable after a few hours, but the shoulder-slung rig has alternatives for wearing it that diminish the difference in comfort factor between it and its' brother with more straps.

I agree with you raf...but most micro chest rigs (at least those that have a non-padded X-back style shoulder straps...like the OSOE I wear) can be used in the same fashion as a bandolier.

Just wanted to make the OP aware of that dual use option...
raf
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 8:52:23 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By JarHead94:

Try this test: Place your Mini MAV as you like and don it right after your alarm clock rings in the middle of the night, and in total darkness. Pretend it's PANIC TIME. Now, do the same thing with a shoulder-slung rig carrying the same load, maybe like the rig I suggested above. I understand that in a serious threat situation, one would very seldom remove one's rig, but such things happen.

I agree with you raf...but most micro chest rigs (at least those that have a non-padded X-back style shoulder straps...like the OSOE I wear) can be used in the same fashion as a bandolier.

Valid point as to setting up the small rig with a single strap, and also having options. As you say, it depends on not having padded shoulder straps, and most really small rigs don't need such. Good post.
FredMan
Scallywag
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 10:08:18 PM
Does SKD still make that Universal rig? I've got one of them and it's a fantastic basic chest rig.
It's like putting on crampons and walking through a room full of puppies.
bradpierson26
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/18/2013 11:31:28 PM
Originally Posted By JarHead94:

Valid point as to setting up the small rig with a single strap, and also having options. As you say, it depends on not having padded shoulder straps, and most really small rigs don't need such. Good post.

Shown as a bandoleer

Tighten up the strap and it's a chest rig
alpha0815
InFiDeL
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/19/2013 1:03:26 AM
Ya'll have been extremely helpful! I'm just not fond of the larger chest rigs and they make me feel too restricted. I can get most of my gear that I need to carry on my ranger belt. I just need a small chest rig for 2 mag pouches and possible a fixed blade knife and/or multitool. The advise here has been great and I'm going to stew on it a few more days. Right now its between the Tactical Tailor MAV and the Eagle M4.
JarHead94
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/19/2013 7:30:11 AM
Ya'll have been extremely helpful! I'm just not fond of the larger chest rigs and they make me feel too restricted. I can get most of my gear that I need to carry on my ranger belt. I just need a small chest rig for 2 mag pouches and possible a fixed blade knife and/or multitool. The advise here has been great and I'm going to stew on it a few more days. Right now its between the Tactical Tailor MAV and the Eagle M4.

Happy to help! You are exercising good judgement going with a quality manufacturer such as TT or Eagle.
Wespe
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/19/2013 9:07:25 AM
I have a TT Mini-MAV and I absolutely love it. I put 3 HSGI Taco's on it along with two pistol mag pouches. It is small enough to not be bulky or overly heavy and the small buckles don't get in the way when shouldering a rifle. TT has a new one in the Fight Light series that is a little different than the original but I don't see it on their sight. I was down at the retail store and checked them out last Friday, they look nice but a bit bulkier than the original.
Darkstar117
Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 7/19/2013 9:22:28 PM
[Last Edit: 7/19/2013 9:22:54 PM by Darkstar117]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By JarHead94:
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

Here is what I would use if I already wasn't already using the M4/AK version (it's the same rig, but with sewn in mag pouches that can handle up to four 30rnd AR or AK mags).

SOE PALS Micro Rig

+1 for this.

OSOE PALS Micro Rig (Coyote)
OSOE Slim Padded H-Harness (Coyote)
Blue Force Gear Tourniquet NOW! Strap (Coyote)
SOFT-T Tourniquet
Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit NOW! Pouch (Coyote)
2x Emdom USA M4 Magazine Pouch (Coyote)
USAF SSgt 2W171 Aircraft Armament Systems
MQ-1B/MQ-9A Weapons
Proud Member of Team Ranstad...The Fantasic Bastards
Hands down you've got the coolest wife! - Pattymcn
Lancelot
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/2/2013 5:28:17 PM
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Darkstar117:
Originally Posted By JarHead94:
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

SOE PALS Micro Rig

+1 for this.

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=28056

OSOE PALS Micro Rig (Coyote)
OSOE Slim Padded H-Harness (Coyote)
Blue Force Gear Tourniquet NOW! Strap (Coyote)
SOFT-T Tourniquet
Blue Force Gear Trauma Kit NOW! Pouch (Coyote)
2x Emdom USA M4 Magazine Pouch (Coyote)

I really like this one.