Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/5/2012 1:22:21 PM EDT
Just got the book on my doorstep this afternoon and b/t pages 112 and 113 there are pictures of the authors assault kit and I'm assuming the same kit would have been used on the actual mission that killed Bin Laden (since it is customized to the soldier).

I thought it was interesting. He said (with pictures) his primary weapons are the HK MP7 with suppressor and with what looks like a night vision scope, HK 416 10" with suppressor (not sure which suppressor) with an Eotech and Magnifier. Also, a M79 40mm grenade launcher with what looks like some sort of small red-dot optic on top. I couldn't tell what type of slings he was using. There was also a pistol pictured and it looks to be the SIG P226 w/ suppressor. He said his vest weighed 60 lbs with ballistic plates.

The helmet is for sure an OpsCore with 4-tube NVGs which he says provides much better peripheral vision over the standard 2-tube design.

Everything looks like the same custom paint job of digital desert. I didn't take pictures of the page b/c I wasn't sure if that would violate a copyright.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 1:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont understand the question.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

He isn't asking a question, just commenting that he thought the kit selection was interesting from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I didn't know I was supposed to be asking a question. But here's one....is a question a requirement?
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you know the SEALS killed Bin Laden?
Because they'll tell you....
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

But seriously, cool info.
60 pounds on the vest alone? Wow
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1

Name 5 missions Delta has been on in past few years. Can't be done. SEALS? Not only can you name them, they write books about and star in the movies themselves. They leak like a submarine with screen doors.

Link Posted: 9/5/2012 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Name 5 missions Delta has been on in past few years. Can't be done. SEALS? Not only can you name them, they write books about and star in the movies themselves. They leak like a submarine with screen doors.

Operation Eagle Claw.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 4:05:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Operation Eagle Claw.

Eagle claw was in 1980
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 4:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Operation Eagle Claw.

Eagle claw was in 1980

Thus the smiley.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't really care what he wore to be quite honest, as soon as I saw the thread I thought Airsoft...

Pics or it didn't happen
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't really care what he wore to be quite honest, as soon as I saw the thread I thought Airsoft...

Pics or it didn't happen

I don't understand the airsoft comment or "pics or it didn't happen". Are you referring to the killing of Bin Laden and pics of his body or the pics of what I described from the book? The fact that the Dept.of Defense wants to pursue legal action against this guy is proof enough to me that it did happen.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 5:45:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Broom Cupboard...  Freefall ....Play 16
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
How is the book?  I'm thinking about buying it before the Gov't shuts it down or bans it or something.  Well written, exciting, good gun details?
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:04:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
How is the book?  I'm thinking about buying it before the Gov't shuts it down or bans it or something.  Well written, exciting, good gun details?

Haven't had a chance to dig into it yet. I've been gone all night.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#15]
You can view some of the pictures of the gear in the book here:

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/books/what-to-wear-to-kill-osama-bin-laden.php
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But seriously, cool info.
60 pounds on the vest alone? Wow

After the plates which are roughly 8lbs a piece, you've got the vest itself. Likely a Paraclete... another couple. At least 8 magazines of ammo, grenades, water, comms, etc... it adds up after a while. My photo has an H&K MP7 with suppressor (also H&K).
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Because they'll Biden will tell you....

Fixed it for you.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#18]
oh thanks!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 11:21:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
oh thanks!

It's the truth.  Biden leaked that shit to the press within 24 hours of the operation.  The SEALs are just setting the record straight and telling the true story.

To be clear, I'm not a supporter of the book, or of the group that is putting out commercials that speak about politics.  While I might agree with the message, I don't think that it has any place in the media.  It seems to conflict  with "I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions."
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Just got the book on my doorstep this afternoon and b/t pages 112 and 113 there are pictures of the authors assault kit and I'm assuming the same kit would have been used on the actual mission that killed Bin Laden (since it is customized to the soldier).

I thought it was interesting. He said (with pictures) his primary weapons are the HK MP7 with suppressor and with what looks like a night vision scope, HK 416 10" with suppressor (not sure which suppressor) with an Eotech and Magnifier. Also, a M79 40mm grenade launcher with what looks like some sort of small red-dot optic on top. I couldn't tell what type of slings he was using. There was also a pistol pictured and it looks to be the SIG P226 w/ suppressor. He said his vest weighed 60 lbs with ballistic plates.

The helmet is for sure an OpsCore with 4-tube NVGs which he says provides much better peripheral vision over the standard 2-tube design.

Everything looks like the same custom paint job of digital desert. I didn't take pictures of the page b/c I wasn't sure if that would violate a copyright.

Suppressor is a Gemtech!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I am greatly disappointed that the gun that killed UBL was a #$%@ing overpriced German HK.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/books/what-to-wear-to-kill-osama-bin-laden.php

LBT 6094 in AOR1, very popular with all SEAL units so no surprise there. The Crye CAGE in AOR1 is pretty unique, but I've heard of them.

What's the softshell coat hanging up covered by the AOR Crye Combat Set?

Magpul CTR Stock and RVG from the looks of it. I'm a little surprised they aren't using the EXPS Eotech.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LBT 6094 in AOR1, very popular with all SEAL units so no surprise there. The Crye CAGE in AOR1 is pretty unique, but I've heard of them.

Magpul CTR Stock and RVG from the looks of it. I'm a little surprised they aren't using the EXPS Eotech.

No kidding. I've seen some civilian equipment that's better than what's in that picture. I use the EXPS Eotech which is great with a magnifier.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding. I've seen some civilian equipment that's better than what's in that picture. I use the EXPS Eotech which is great with a magnifier.

Because the EXPS is more acurate than the Eotech pictured?

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. It takes up less rail space, lighter, and only uses one battery.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:47:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even though JSOC's budget is virtually unlimited, there is a threshold that you eventually reach where the acquisition of "latest and greatest" doesn't necessarily make sense.  

But what do you do if you are in the middle of the deployment when the newest piece of gear comes out and you don't have it, but you want to take a picture of the ready room for your upcoming book?  Obviously, the answer is:  You take the picture anyway and hope that the AR15.com holster sniffers don't beat you up too badly over it.

Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#27]
oh! That must make it so much more efficient and better! Gotta have that railspace for the next episode of "pimp my AR".
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
oh! That must make it so much more efficient and better! Gotta have that railspace for the next episode of "pimp my AR".

It's so you can mount a Trilicon as a back-up.  You never know when those 5.54x45 rounds will cause that EoTech to lose zero.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:41:30 PM EDT
[#29]
The SEALs use Eotechs  Now the polls will tip in all the Eotech vs. Aimpoint threads
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 6:50:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I prefer the EXPS over the 553 that is pictured because the controls are located on the side making it easier to operate with a magnifier behind it.

But I'm sure you already knew that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

pretty sure the less weight and only 1 battery makes it more efficient.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pretty sure the less weight and only 1 battery makes it more efficient.

And the fact that they're much more reliable and dependable.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I still don't see how that vest/plate carrier as pictured could be 60 lbs.   Seems like a bit of an exaggeration.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Surprised nobody has posted this yet

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:15:11 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Magpul should be proud.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b248/NickHugelarge/dd6fd005.jpg

Ok, I'll bite. Here's an additional pic from the book.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Four tube nvg must be heavy as shit. Are those available to the public at all yet?
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Not to mention the EXPS doesn't have the same battery contact issues as the older EOTechs.

I believe NSW just purchased a ton of them from L3 anyways.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i45.tinypic.com/o8s32s.png

Was he carrying all that at once? Holy crap that seems like a lot of shit to lug around.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:06:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was he carrying all that at once? Holy crap that seems like a lot of shit to lug around.

agreed.  I thought most of these guys went by the "light and fast" model?
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even though JSOC's budget is virtually unlimited, there is a threshold that you eventually reach where the acquisition of "latest and greatest" doesn't necessarily make sense.  

But what do you do if you are in the middle of the deployment when the newest piece of gear comes out and you don't have it, but you want to take a picture of the ready room for your upcoming book?  Obviously, the answer is:  You take the picture anyway and hope that the AR15.com holster sniffers don't beat you up too badly over it.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Anyone know what the gizmo is that's attached to the CTR?
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Garmin foretrex
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sawed off grenade launcher?
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:00:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Yeah, they called it "the pirate gun" since it looks like an old-timey blunderbuss.
I wonder if he used regular 40mm  in it or something else. 40mm buckshot? That'd be a hell of a breacher!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yeah, they called it "the pirate gun" since it looks like an old-timey blunderbuss.
I wonder if he used regular 40mm  in it or something else. 40mm buckshot? That'd be a hell of a breacher!!

how could one hang on to 40mm of buckshot with hardly any handle or grip on it?
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how could one hang on to 40mm of buckshot with hardly any handle or grip on it?

They are Navy SEALS. Duh.

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:04:57 PM EDT
[#48]
The 40mm buckshot round is not all that impressive, it probably is less effective than a 12 Gauge.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:29:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The 40mm buckshot round is not all that impressive, it probably is less effective than a 12 Gauge.

R0N, Stop shitting up the thread with factual information.

(hate it when R0N beats me to the punch)
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 2:48:28 PM EDT
[#50]
the  60 pounds is better explained in the book,  he is talking the plates, bolt cutters, a collapsible ladder, a sledge, radios

he states in the book he only carried 3 mags and a grenade for spare ammo a few times

He thought the MP7 didnt have much punch but was quiet

the book is not very exciting but its worth it to hear how the raid went
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top