BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 160
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:29:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Wormydog1987:
How do you store your Plate Carrier in your closet, gear room?

Just laid on the floor?
Hanger?
Shelf?
Rack?

If hung, does it mess up the shoulder straps? Or Plate pockets from the weight?
View Quote

Mine sits on a shelf when it's not in the trunk of my work car. Usually just lay it flat with the cummerbund done as if I were wearing it. I find on PC's and other body armor that the straps tend to stretch or loosen over time when hung up.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Finally getting this project going.

Mayflower APC
Mayflower Modified Gen IV UW Placard
Hesco BI 4400 Level 4 Single-Curve Plates

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 10:51:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Buckeye67:

Mayflower APC

http://i.imgur.com/LEqufiU.jpg
View Quote

Hows that placard?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:11:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Anyone run a shellback patriot? Seems to be a smaller version of the banshee? I'm looking to put together a AS type rig that isn't overly large.

I'm 6'1, about 180...32" waist and ~41" chest of that helps.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ZacSquatch] [#5]
SKD PIG I got in the EE, as well a ACH that I cut down. Wife scored me the TYR Tactical battle belt. Happy for the sub $600 investment.

Link Posted: 2/9/2017 1:33:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Buckeye67] [#6]
Originally Posted By VIP3R:

Hows that placard?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Buckeye67:

Mayflower APC

http://i.imgur.com/LEqufiU.jpg

Hows that placard?

Hey, sorry it took a few days to get back to this to reply.

Overall I like the placard.  It's pretty low-profile.  With 4 rifle, two pistol mags and the plates, I can go prone with no problems & can even get low enough to "monopod" on the magazine.

I really like the small utility pouches on either side for a multitool and hand-held light.  If I could custom tailor the design at all, I'd put the two pistol mag pouches on the left hand side (my left) to make them a little easier to get to.  I'm probably going to replace the bungee-retention cords with Kywi or HS retention inserts.  I'm still working out what to put into the two utility pouches on either side of the pistol mag pouches.

I'd say all in all, I'm 95% pleased with it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 2:09:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: unpleasant] [#7]
Two guns, nvg, armor.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 10:40:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:50:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By eaglecp:
ESSTAC Goodness... Daeodon Light Style.
This is the Daeodon with side straps.
The "Daeodon Ass" (Light Version) Will be coming out soon!!!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/20170115_135122_zpsgydhmczn.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/20170115_135135_zpso8pyeq7x.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/20170115_135033_zpsqcwfvli6.jpg
cp
View Quote

I just want to know where to get one of those ingenius name tags
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Got my first plates, and carrier. Just starting out-

Hesco 4400 SAPI L multi-curve plates & Tyr Tactical PICO-MV carrier.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 11:40:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Gopherboy128:
Got my first plates, and carrier. Just starting out-

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259653/20170227-144957-155435.jpg

Hesco 4400 SAPI L multi-curve plates & Tyr Tactical PICO-MV carrier.
View Quote

Starting off right and strong!
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:08:03 AM EDT
[#14]

Starting off right and strong!
View Quote

Buy once, cry once. My Tyr Brokos belt is on backorder, can be up to 60 business days, so we'll see how long that ends up taking.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:57:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey guys and ladies,

Can you recommend me some to look at? I'm 6'6 about 225 lbs medium build. 
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By USMCLIFE:
Hey guys and ladies,

Can you recommend me some to look at? I'm 6'6 about 225 lbs medium build. 
View Quote

SKD Tactical PIG Plate Carrier. I'm 6'2 200 and use it for work and my buddy is 6'6 250 at work and always tries to borrow my PC if he's heading to the range that day. It has good mobility, keeps the plates high where you need them plus gives you plenty of space for your battle/work belt. it's easy to get on and off. It's a one size so you don't have to buy one based on your plate size, the plate pockets are scalable so you adjust the pocket size to your plate.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:41:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TBone556:

SKD Tactical PIG Plate Carrier. I'm 6'2 200 and use it for work and my buddy is 6'6 250 at work and always tries to borrow my PC if he's heading to the range that day. It has good mobility, keeps the plates high where you need them plus gives you plenty of space for your battle/work belt. it's easy to get on and off. It's a one size so you don't have to buy one based on your plate size, the plate pockets are scalable so you adjust the pocket size to your plate.
View Quote

6'3 235 and using the PIG at work as well. Fits nice and high, using large ESAPI plates, and I use a battle belt as well.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 9:43:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Wife's car kit....

Goodwill found Blackhawk Plate Carrier that I fixed with an old Canvass 'Nam era H-Harness, Kel-Tec SU-16C, Pentagon LED Light on a US Cavalry bag I set up to be a active shooter bag. The plate is an ancient piece of steel rated for 7.62x39mm and 5.56x45mm.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote
Thank you for that recommendation I am looking at that plate carrier as I type this and it looks good. Question what size plates would you recommend for me to look at? Something on the SKD website? 
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:53:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Thank you for that recommendation I am looking at that plate carrier as I type this and it looks good. Question what size plates would you recommend for me to look at? Something on the SKD website? 
View Quote

It'll do large SAPI if you have to use them for work but personal plates I run the level 4 ceramics from armour-wear.com
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:47:12 AM EDT
[#21]

It'll do large SAPI if you have to use them for work but personal plates I run the level 4 ceramics from armour-wear.com
View Quote
Okay cool! Do you recommend the armor plates that SKD is selling on their website like this one for instance? Also, what kind of cummerbound do I need? Elastic or Molle?

Armor plate
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Okay cool! Do you recommend the armor plates that SKD is selling on their website like this one for instance? Also, what kind of cummerbound do I need? Elastic or Molle?

Armor plate
View Quote

I like the Molle for more real-estate and I have to be able to put side plates on in some situations. Never tried the elastic, but I'd be wary of it breaking down over time moreso than the molle fabric.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 4:47:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By ZacSquatch:

I like the Molle for more real-estate and I have to be able to put side plates on in some situations. Never tried the elastic, but I'd be wary of it breaking down over time moreso than the molle fabric.
View All Quotes

Armor plate

Fwiw, I know my pics above are crappy phone pics but I'm 5-11 wearing large SAPIs. At 6-6 I don't know if you'd need taller ones. You might need to cut out some cardboard cutouts and look at some anatomy charts and see what you need.

As for elastic cumberbuns. I'm a recent convert. I've been running 4-5 miles a couple times per week and the elastic allows me to have it tight enough not to bounce but it gives so I can breath. If they break down I'll replace them. They Velcro front and back and come off in 2 seconds. That being said, they are very heavy duty elastic and unless they are sitting in direct sunlight all day I feel pretty good about them lasting a long time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 7:55:08 PM EDT
[#24]

Armor plate
View Quote

I have one of each, you can swap them out super easily. I got the armour wear ones because they're stand alone level 4's so you don't need the soft inserts. If you want to add stuff to your sides get molle if you run your gear set up with a battle belt you can get by with just an elastic. If you want to PT with your plate carrier then you can use the elastic and swap out the cumberbunds.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:55:45 PM EDT
[#25]

I like the Molle for more real-estate and I have to be able to put side plates on in some situations. Never tried the elastic, but I'd be wary of it breaking down over time moreso than the molle fabric
View All Quotes

Armor plate

I like the Molle for more real-estate and I have to be able to put side plates on in some situations. Never tried the elastic, but I'd be wary of it breaking down over time moreso than the molle fabric
Looks like I'll be purchasing the SKD Plate carrier with the molle cummerbound. Also the multicam is the best to go with over the Coyote tan color? I was going to go with the Coyote tan color to match my Daniel Defense MK18 SBR 10.3 since it's factory coyote brown colored. 
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#26]

I have one of each, you can swap them out super easily. I got the armour wear ones because they're stand alone level 4's so you don't need the soft inserts. If you want to add stuff to your sides get molle if you run your gear set up with a battle belt you can get by with just an elastic. If you want to PT with your plate carrier then you can use the elastic and swap out the cumberbunds.
View Quote
How does the armour wear plates hold up when shooting down range? I've seen some reviews on them on Youtube and some say its a great brand to wear and some say they are not worth it. 
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#27]
How does the armour wear plates hold up when shooting down range? I've seen some reviews on them on Youtube and some say its a great brand to wear and some say they are not worth it. 
View Quote

What do you mean hold up? Like have I shot my plates?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#28]

What do you mean hold up? Like have I shot my plates?
View Quote
Have you tested out the plates in your own testing to see how they hold up after use. 
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Have you tested out the plates in your own testing to see how they hold up after use. 
View Quote

They're still in tact yes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#30]

They're still in tact yes.
View Quote
Is multicam more popular than coyote brown color when people choose choosing plate carrier?
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 9:36:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Is multicam more popular than coyote brown color when people choose choosing plate carrier?
View Quote

I would say so, multicam is what I ordered for my plate carrier and molle cumberbund. The elastic cumberbund I have is coyote. Some units are okay with coyote but multicam is the safe bet if you're getting it for military
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

My unit said multicam only.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 4:35:10 PM EDT
[#33]
My first plate carrier, Mayflower APC L/XL. Got it off the EE here. Not sure how I feel about the lack of padding behind the plate pocket. If I don't like it after I get plates, I may go for a LBT 6094C. Side note, what's the physical size difference between the APC and the 6094C, not the plate pocket but the overall size.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:15:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:
My first plate carrier, Mayflower APC L/XL. Got it off the EE here. Not sure how I feel about the lack of padding behind the plate pocket. If I don't like it after I get plates, I may go for a LBT 6094C. Side note, what's the physical size difference between the APC and the 6094C, not the plate pocket but the overall size.

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y463/thomasmennis/7AB4A075-2D59-4989-9482-A03F4A9A232F_zpsnsve6esh.jpg
View Quote
LBT is pretty much the same in terms of construction with no padding behind the plates. Only PC that comes to mind with ample padding is the FS Strandhogg.

I haven't tried the APC but I remember my 6094B (size L plates) being shaped around the plate size so I would expect the C to be similar to XL SAPI size.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:26:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Deadsquiggles] [#35]
Originally Posted By patriot_man:

LBT is pretty much the same in terms of construction with no padding behind the plates. Only PC that comes to mind with ample padding is the FS Strandhogg.

I haven't tried the APC but I remember my 6094B (size L plates) being shaped around the plate size so I would expect the C to be similar to XL SAPI size.
View Quote
Ok thanks, I want sure. Cause I watched a review and comparison between the 6094B and a S/M APC and there was a fairly  noticeable size difference between the two despite the fact that they hold the same size plates. I want sure if that carried over to the C and it maybe had a little more real estate or size than the APC in L/XL.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Deadsquiggles:

Ok thanks, I want sure. Cause I watched a review and comparison between the 6094B and a S/M APC and there was a fairly  noticeable size difference between the two despite the fact that they hold the same size plates. I want sure if that carried over to the C and it maybe had a little more real estate or size than the APC in L/XL.
View Quote
You can maybe try to throw a trauma pad behind the plate if you are worried about it
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 1:45:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#37]

Crye JPC ("OG")
Callsign patches are custom laser-cut patches I had made with 3M SOLAS IR reflective material
"Dangler" is a Tactical Tailor LAP that I got for $19 the last time they went on sale, right when I was thinking of trying one out--liking it a lot so far  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:46:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Augee:
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/090861f2-c31f-453d-9227-d0b90d07b2d2_zpsalagpeum.png

Crye JPC ("OG")
Callsign patches are custom laser-cut patches I had made with 3M SOLAS IR reflective material
"Dangler" is a Tactical Tailor LAP that I got for $19 the last time they went on sale, right when I was thinking of trying one out--liking it a lot so far  

~Augee
View Quote
Hows that LAP working out? I've been considering one to use as a sort of go-pouch to throw my NODs in, but I dont know if it would be too bulky with them in there, might need a protective insert, which would again be bulky. What are you putting in yours?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Jimmybp:

Hows that LAP working out? I've been considering one to use as a sort of go-pouch to throw my NODs in, but I dont know if it would be too bulky with them in there, might need a protective insert, which would again be bulky. What are you putting in yours?
View Quote
I pretty much moved some random stuff: tools, documents/scraps of paper/notes, some spare batteries, and then sometimes I'll stick some random stuff that I want to hold on to, but that I don't want to put in my pockets in there.  

It's pretty much just replaced the GP pouch I used to have on the cummerbund, which ended up adding bulk to my sides, with the LAP.  

That being said, I try to keep it fairly light, so it doesn't gut punch me if I have to run (it can flop around a bit), and I don't stick anything in it that I wouldn't want getting smushed if I needed to get into the prone.  Keeping it light also keeps it from being too thick in the prone.  

Meanwhile, it's great for vehicle-based work when it might be awkward to get to pouches or pockets on your sides.  

My NODs I keep wrapped in a "silky" base layer, which I shove into either an LBT SAW pouch on my back if I'm rolling "light," or, if I need some more stuff, I keep it in a pack, as the SAW pouch folds up flat when there's nothing in it, so it doesn't interfere with anything.  This does mean that I either need to doff my body armor or get help to get my NODs out if they're in the pouch on my back, but usually if I'm traveling that light, it means I have more support, and more people available to grab my NODs.  Keeping them wrapped in the base layer also means that if it gets cold at night, I also have some more snivel to put on.  

I would not recommend keeping NODs in the LAP, or any "tactical-fanny pack"-style pouch, at least not the way I use them.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 3:00:17 AM EDT
[#40]
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/090861f2-c31f-453d-9227-d0b90d07b2d2_zpsalagpeum.png

Crye JPC ("OG")

~Augee
View Quote
Augee do you mind giving me the run down of your kit? You made some great points about going into prone and in and out of vehicles which is a setup I have been trying to figure out. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#41]
What s the pouch that the foretrex is in?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Foretrex is in an LBT pouch.  

"Run down" is pretty straightforward:

Crye JPC with "wing" radio pouches--I'm using the kangaroo pouch for magazines, and I have the Crye "rear pull" panel for two more--mostly because someone was selling it on FB for $15
- I use one of the "wing" pouches to store a magazine if I need a "full basic load," and I've got another Eagle LW radio pouch on the right 3/4 of the cummerbund for a second radio if needed, that one would be one that I didn't need to mess with the channel/settings that much if I needed it, most of the time in training though, I'm only running one radio, second one is only needed for "special occasions."  One of the PTTs that's currently on it actually has an AUX jack to plug into my iPhone, so I can make and receive calls through my ComTacs .  I do, obviously have a second NATO PTT if I needed to run a real radio off it.  
- Have various crap stuck in the built-in admin panel as well, GTAs, note cards, etc.
HSGI shoulder pads
LBT SAW pouch on the back as mentioned for NODs
Tactical Tailor LAP
Eagle IFAK
2x TYR flashbang, 1x smoke pouches--to be honest, the flashbang pouches don't necessarily get used much for their intended purpose, but they're good for carrying small items that can be kept easily accessible.  
That's about it, other than having a couple of TQs rigged up as well

I think I might be on the edge of what the JPC is really ideal for in terms of support, and I've considered getting an CPC or AVS for a little bit more support--but the JPC was way cheaper, and it wears fine, and I have no real complaints about it so far.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Crye JPC with "wing" radio pouches--I'm using the kangaroo pouch for magazines, and I have the Crye "rear pull" panel for two more--mostly because someone was selling it on FB for $15
- I use one of the "wing" pouches to store a magazine if I need a "full basic load," and I've got another Eagle LW radio pouch on the right 3/4 of the cummerbund for a second radio if needed, that one would be one that I didn't need to mess with the channel/settings that much if I needed it, most of the time in training though, I'm only running one radio, second one is only needed for "special occasions."  One of the PTTs that's currently on it actually has an AUX jack to plug into my iPhone, so I can make and receive calls through my ComTacs .  I do, obviously have a second NATO PTT if I needed to run a real radio off it.  
- Have various crap stuck in the built-in admin panel as well, GTAs, note cards, etc.
HSGI shoulder pads
Tactical Tailor LAP
Eagle IFAK
2x TYR flashbang, 1x smoke pouches--to be honest, the flashbang pouches don't necessarily get used much for their intended purpose, but they're good for carrying small items that can be kept easily accessible.  

I think I might be on the edge of what the JPC is really ideal for in terms of support, and I've considered getting an CPC or AVS for a little bit more support--but the JPC was way cheaper, and it wears fine, and I have no real complaints about it so far.  

~Augee
View Quote
I can sell you a medium multicam CPC for $500!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By evil_nadman:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By evil_nadman:

HSGI shoulder pads
Tactical Tailor LAP
Eagle IFAK

~Augee
Isn't retail from Crye $561?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#45]
That's just for the harness and cummerbunds. You have to buy the platebags, too for it to work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 3:40:04 PM EDT
[#46]
@evil_nadman

Sent you an IM.

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:11:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Ferro concepts slickster with spare mag and light bleeder kit.

Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:18:05 AM EDT
[#48]
If you had to choose between coyote brown and ranger green which would choose and why? I'm trying to pick one or the other and I can't make a decision.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 2:25:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By F4U_Corsair:
If you had to choose between coyote brown and ranger green which would choose and why? I'm trying to pick one or the other and I can't make a decision.
View Quote
Coyote hands down. Ranger green looks "funny" like a plastic army man and it looks weirder when you wear camo combat shirt and pants. Plus since I live in Texas lot more brown/tan then green.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 8:48:41 AM EDT
[#50]

Scooped up a S&S plateframe. Really enjoying it so far.
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top